Apple vs Samsung trial nearing an end

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
In what could shape the future of of electronics and consumer choice, the trial of Apple vs Samsung is nearing an end with a verdict due soon.

Apple has accused Samsung of copying certain design elements because Samsung's "rounded rectangle with a large screen" looks similar to Apple's. In the same way all TVs look similar, or all bicycles.

Samsung has countered arguing that Apple has copied some of its proprietary technology.

One can only hope the ruling is one which benefits consumers and doesn't make it impossible for other firms to compete with Apple, otherwise it's going to have have far reaching implications across this and other areas of technology.

Hell, if Apple win this then Nokia should take every other mobile phone manufacturer to court as they were the pioneers of the modern GSM mobile phone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19340229

Personally I hope both sides lose this fight and are told to grow up and compete fairly.

The whole patent argument is geting stupid now as companies are more likely to invest in lawyers to sue their rivals out of the market than to invest in designing something new and unique to sell their gadgets. At one point Apple were being directed to use their entire might (financial, technical and political) to destroy anything that had anything to do with Android, yet at the same time Steve Jobs was courting Google to tie in closer to Apple devices to keep other manufacturers out of the "Apple Market Place".

I think it is time for an MS style monopoly investigation into Apple as they now have the power to bully anyone else out of a market they want through the use of political lobbying, threats and legal stupidity, and unfortunately their track record shows thy are not afraid to use that might at any time they want...

Couldn't agree more with all your points.

The patent wars have been getting out of hand for a long time now and it's about time the courts put a stop to it for the betterment of everyone.

I believe Steve Jobs actually said something along the lines of he would spend every penny it took to destroy Android.

Of course what's ironic is that Apple's pad design is a copy of a previously patented design, some 10 years or so earlier, I forget by which company.

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15400984

I'm pretty sure I read that one of their cases was dropped (but I can't remember where) and they were told it was "nonsense" and to stop it, but they restarted the case again after that ruling.

All of this really disgusts me though and if either one of them wins and the other isn't allowed to sell their products anymore it would seriously piss me off as it limits consumer choice. I'd be less pissed if it were Apple though as it would show them they can't bully everyone and their granny when it pleases them.

Josh Yes, they had a case thrown out in Europe as the pictures they submitted to try and get the Samsung Galaxy II phone ruled as a copy of the iPhone were doctored and stretched to make the phones look the same.

Strangely enough they then went on to win the case in the US with the same evidence (but since when has the US court awarded against a US company in favour of a foreign one?)

A recent trial was also thrown out here in England but there are numerous trials going on all over the world.

Imagine if other products were protected in the same way Apple want to protect pads.
There would only be one mobile phone, one laptop, one television, etc.

Yeah, I can't believe a company that was run by Saint Steve could turn out to be such an utter bunch of bastards who ring up they're legal people at the drop of a hat. Who knew?

There has been a long running legal battle between the Beatles company, Apple Corp, and er Apple Corp. The Beatles obviously had the name a fair while before Apple and tried to protect themselves. It was resolved initially when Apple agreed not to enter into the Music industry. Apple then launched the IPOD and it was lawyers at dawn again! Apparently it has been resolved now.

I have an irational hatred of all things Apple (not of course, things made from Apples) and wouldn't want any of their products even if someone gave me it for free.

Sorry Olivier, you missed my sarcasm. I'm fully aware of the fact that Steve Jobs was not the bloke that those strange people who held candle light worship sessions thought he was.

Around ten years or so ago Microsoft started throwing threats around saying that the Unix and Linux designers were using ip patented by MS. The US patent office were not doing any checks on whether MS were patenting new technology or not.

I found it quits amusing as I did some work with the company who wrote the networking software for NT. They told me that they had based it on an old Unix design.

Anyway, it all seemed to disappear quietly, it's a shame the latest disputes cannot do the same thing.

Microsoft bought 150 million quids worth of Apple shares, supposedly non voting shares but don't let that fool you MS own Apple. Samsung are the last remaining vestige in an electronics free market..

Monopolies are supposed to be illegal but in truth they are not....

Apple's Claims
Question One.For each of the following products did Samsung (SEC, SEA, STA) infringe claim 19 of /301 patent
Answer for all devices is YES
for SEA, Galaxy Tab Wifi
STA yes for Captivate
Continuum, Droid Charge, Exhibit 4G, Galasy Ace, Prevail, S 4G, S II, Galaxy Tab, The Gem, Indulge, Infuse 4G, Mesmerie, Nexus S 4G, Replenish and Vibrant

Question Two. Claim 8 of 915 patent
For SEC Captivate, continuum, droid charge, fascinate, Galaxy Prevail, Galaxy S 4G, Galaxy S II, i9100, Galaxy s 2 Tmobile, Tab, Tab 10.1, Gem, Indulge, Infuse, Nexus S 4G, all yes
No on Ace Intercept and Replenish
For SEA: Yes on Galaxy Tab 10.1
for STA: Yes for Captiavte, Continuum, Droid Charge, Exhibit, Prevail, Galaxy S 4G, S II AT&T, SII T Mobile, Galaxy Tab, Gem, Indulge, Infuse 4G, Mesmerize, Nexus S 4G, Tranform and Vibrant
No on intercept and Replenish

Question Three. Claim 50 of '163 patent
for SEC Yes for Droid Charge, Epic 4G, Exhibit 4G, Fascinate, Ace, Prevail, Galaxy X, Galaxy S 4g, S II AT&T, i9100, S II Tmobile, Galaxy Tab, Tab 10.1, Infuse 4G, Mesmerize, and Replenish

It's still ongoing but you get the message.

Samsung are screwed and Apple now control the smartphone and tablet market.
Expect Apple's share price to rocket even more when the market opens on Monday.

What a sad day for consumers and technological evolution.

Perhaps Samsung should now just refuse to supply Apple the components for their devices?

Back
Top Bottom