First Entered 1977
Races Entered 285
Race Wins 35
Pole Positions 51
Fastest Laps 31
Driver World Championships 2
Constructor World Championships 2

Team History

Renault first entered F1 as a constructor in 1977 at the British Grand Prix. At the height of the “garagiste” and Cosworth engines Renault entered a single car, driven by Jean-Pierre Jabouille, powered by a 1.5 litre turbo charged engine. Renault’s experiment with turbo charging probably changed F1 more than any other single event in the sport’s history.

Jabouille won Renault's first Grand Prix in 1979 in France and, up until their withdrawal as a constructor from the sport in 1985; Renault won 15 Grands Prix. They continued in F1 as an engine manufacturer until in 2002 they returned as a constructor having acquired the Benetton (formerly Toleman) team in 2000.

The “new” Renault Team

For 2002 Renault partnered Jarno Trulli and Jenson Button together and the team managed 4th place in the Constructors Championship. Button was dropped for 2003 in favour of the team’s test driver, Fernando Alonso. Alonso repaid the team’s faith by winning the Hungarian Grand Prix, the first win for a Renault car since 1983.

Jarno Trulli won the Monaco Grand Prix in 2004 but was replaced by Jacques Villeneuve before the end of the season as he and the team principal, Flavio Briatore, fell out amid claims of favouritism toward Alonso.

The Championship Years

Giancarlo Fisichella was brought in to replace Trulli for 2005 and duly won the first race in Australia. Alonso won the next 3 and a total of 7 in the season to win the Drivers World Championship and give Renault the Constructors’ Title they had long waited for; breaking Michael Schumacher 5 year run of driver's titles and and Ferrari's 6 year long strangle hold on the constructors title.

In 2006 the same pattern repeated, Fisichella took a single victory, Alonso 7 along with both the Drivers Championship and the Constructors Title.

Post Alonso (part 1)

Alonso’s departure to McLaren in 2007, replaced by rookie Heikki Kovalainen, left the team without a star driver to build around and the team struggled. Kovalainen outscored his more experienced team mate but a highest finish of 2nd in Japan was the best result on the track. The team finished 3rd in the Constructors Championship but as McLaren were disqualified from the championship in 2007 the result flatters to deceive.

After falling out with McLaren Alonso returned to Renault for 2008. Rebuilding around him, the car slowly improved and Alonso won races in Singapore and Japan. It later transpired that Alonso’s team mate in 2008, Nelson Piquet jnr, had deliberately crashed during the Singapore race with the collusion of team principal Briatore and Technical Director, Pat Symonds. This emerged in 2009 after Piquet was dropped by the team for Roman Grosjean resulting in Briatore and Symonds being banned from the sport and Renault being given a 2 years suspended ban.

2009 was a lean year for Renault. Alonso managed pole in Hungary but otherwise a single 3rd place in Singapore was the best placing the team could muster. The resulting bad publicity surrounding the race fixing allegations resulted in many of Renault’s major sponsors withdrawing finance from the team and put into question Renault’s continuing presence as an F1 team.

Post Alonso (part 2)

Alonso left for Ferrari in 2010 and Robert Kubica took his place, partnered by Russia’s first F1 driver Vitaly Petrov. At this time Renault sold a 75% share of the team to Luxembourg based venture capital company Genii. Renault continued to provide technical support and engines to the team. Kubica managed some podium places through the season whilst Petrov took some time to acclimatise to F1 with a best finish of 5th in Hungary, matching Renault’s finish in the Constructor’s Championship.

For 2011 Renault sold it’s remaining 25% share to Lotus cars resulting in a change of team name to Lotus Renault GP causing a legal battle with Team Lotus as to who had the rights to use the name Lotus in F1. Renault will also race under a British licence this season leaving F1 without a French team for the first time since 1975.

Renault planned to retain the same driver line up but Kubica crashed in a rally car prior to pre-season testing and has been replaced by former team mate Nick Heidfeld. They will use the R31 chassis.

Also didn't really end that well in 93 as when he got his title they hired the driver he despised most in the world and he quit.

I was going go to say him and Renault seems like a marriage that always ends in bitter divorce

1993 for Prost he was made to look average and rusty in the most dominant car by Senna at times. He bought the title having blocked Senna joining and weakening Mansell 's position. At least he ended on a high and extended his wins and points records until Schumacher broke it. I think he thought Senna was going to overtake all his records at that point.

Having built it is the 22 car crap due to a computer error now the wind tunnel says it's not the same car.:o
it wouldnt surprise me. as think about brawn gp in 2009 knew in October/November that the car was good. just not how good. i would assume that theyll have an idea from simulations

The only reason they knew the Brawn car was going to be good was because they had exploited a loop hole in the rules and knew no one else had. Therefore they knew perfectly well they'd be seconds ahead of the field for a good portion of the season until others had adapted. They'd even asked if it was legal in the close season.

I have no confidence that the teams are able to predict how good their cars are from the simulators at this point. I imagine most teams will have the blue sky thinking management positivity thing going on. At least until testing when either Merc or Red Bull will be 3 seconds in front of the field. Then everyone will say "why did we change the rules when we had such a close season last year? This was a silly idea". Then one team will be dominant with one dominant driver for a few years and they'll be constant argument as to whether the driver is any good or if its just the car. Then they'll announce a massive rule change, which will be the biggest rule change of all time etc etc. Then the season before the rule change they'll be a really close season as the other teams catch up. Then the rules will change and one team will be 3 seconds a lap ahead again. And on and on until the sweet release of the grave.

Has Alonso done his usually off season interview about how he can really compete this year which is followed by the puff piece from Sky about how he is one of the biggest talents of all time and how great it is we get to watch him in F1 still? Thats mans PR agency are the greatest.

I think Max Verstappen's PR is louder than Alonso's because Horner and Marko can't stop waxing how great he is and they love him to bits

Back to Alpine if Rossi is cutting costs then guess who is the highest paid on the F1 team's budget then? I am not sure Alpine can challenge given they are restricting their feedback to themselves with no other data from other teams

I was going go to say him and Renault seems like a marriage that always ends in bitter divorce

1993 for Prost he was made to look average and rusty in the most dominant car by Senna at times. He bought the title having blocked Senna joining and weakening Mansell 's position. At least he ended on a high and extended his wins and points records until Schumacher broke it. I think he thought Senna was going to overtake all his records at that point.
I never understood why Prost was there… he had previously demonstrated that he had no talent for running an F1 team earlier in his career, transforming Ligier from a winning team to a pointless, bankrupt entity, despite receiving French government backing! (The banning of Gauloise sponsorship may have had an impact as well)…

Ligier had been on a downward trajectory for many years before Prost came over the horizon on his supposed white charger, which turned out to be a Rosinante. The help he got from government was quite blatant, with particularly the support of Peugeot. You wonder how they got away with under EU rules about state aid, but then Renault/Alpine are still 15% owned by the French Government which isn't allowed.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, as we say in Cambridgeshire

I can ****ing guaran****ingtee that Alain has ALWAYS benefited from every spell with whatever Renault has been called when he’s been associated.
Good on him, and bollocks to them, the dicks.

I'd have believed it if you'd said it in 2012 though. Yet here we are 10 years later and press haven't come to the same conclusion - or are paid nicely to not point it out

I'd have believed it if you'd said it in 2012 though. Yet here we are 10 years later and press haven't come to the same conclusion - or are paid nicely to not point it out
2012 yes. as it did feel like abit of last chance saloon as red bull were so good & ferrari were in the usual process of, we are focussing on next year, Fail & by july, repeat, we are focussing on next year

I don't think Otmar can sort Alpine out this season unless everyone else has a bad start so the catch up is not as massive but he is essentially a Yes man to Rossi

I am not sure how that is different from what he got at Aston Martin when Stroll Snr was in charge

I really don't get Renault they don't know what they are doing

Rossi is showing impatience which is not a good sign as it looks like someone is going to get the boot

The All French team as it is now pretty much but this version of team Enstone have not been as good as its previous two

yes he is very impatient but i saw this anger coming because i was reading alot of press comments about how there aspirations & McLaren, Alpine, Aston Martin (although 4th now would probably be a disappointment) & Haas saying dont rule us out. there where 4 teams all saying that its would be big failure if they didnt finish 4th & for mclaren & alpine the season is technically already a failure 5 races in

Back
Top Bottom