First Entered 1977
Races Entered 285
Race Wins 35
Pole Positions 51
Fastest Laps 31
Driver World Championships 2
Constructor World Championships 2

Team History

Renault first entered F1 as a constructor in 1977 at the British Grand Prix. At the height of the “garagiste” and Cosworth engines Renault entered a single car, driven by Jean-Pierre Jabouille, powered by a 1.5 litre turbo charged engine. Renault’s experiment with turbo charging probably changed F1 more than any other single event in the sport’s history.

Jabouille won Renault's first Grand Prix in 1979 in France and, up until their withdrawal as a constructor from the sport in 1985; Renault won 15 Grands Prix. They continued in F1 as an engine manufacturer until in 2002 they returned as a constructor having acquired the Benetton (formerly Toleman) team in 2000.

The “new” Renault Team

For 2002 Renault partnered Jarno Trulli and Jenson Button together and the team managed 4th place in the Constructors Championship. Button was dropped for 2003 in favour of the team’s test driver, Fernando Alonso. Alonso repaid the team’s faith by winning the Hungarian Grand Prix, the first win for a Renault car since 1983.

Jarno Trulli won the Monaco Grand Prix in 2004 but was replaced by Jacques Villeneuve before the end of the season as he and the team principal, Flavio Briatore, fell out amid claims of favouritism toward Alonso.

The Championship Years

Giancarlo Fisichella was brought in to replace Trulli for 2005 and duly won the first race in Australia. Alonso won the next 3 and a total of 7 in the season to win the Drivers World Championship and give Renault the Constructors’ Title they had long waited for; breaking Michael Schumacher 5 year run of driver's titles and and Ferrari's 6 year long strangle hold on the constructors title.

In 2006 the same pattern repeated, Fisichella took a single victory, Alonso 7 along with both the Drivers Championship and the Constructors Title.

Post Alonso (part 1)

Alonso’s departure to McLaren in 2007, replaced by rookie Heikki Kovalainen, left the team without a star driver to build around and the team struggled. Kovalainen outscored his more experienced team mate but a highest finish of 2nd in Japan was the best result on the track. The team finished 3rd in the Constructors Championship but as McLaren were disqualified from the championship in 2007 the result flatters to deceive.

After falling out with McLaren Alonso returned to Renault for 2008. Rebuilding around him, the car slowly improved and Alonso won races in Singapore and Japan. It later transpired that Alonso’s team mate in 2008, Nelson Piquet jnr, had deliberately crashed during the Singapore race with the collusion of team principal Briatore and Technical Director, Pat Symonds. This emerged in 2009 after Piquet was dropped by the team for Roman Grosjean resulting in Briatore and Symonds being banned from the sport and Renault being given a 2 years suspended ban.

2009 was a lean year for Renault. Alonso managed pole in Hungary but otherwise a single 3rd place in Singapore was the best placing the team could muster. The resulting bad publicity surrounding the race fixing allegations resulted in many of Renault’s major sponsors withdrawing finance from the team and put into question Renault’s continuing presence as an F1 team.

Post Alonso (part 2)

Alonso left for Ferrari in 2010 and Robert Kubica took his place, partnered by Russia’s first F1 driver Vitaly Petrov. At this time Renault sold a 75% share of the team to Luxembourg based venture capital company Genii. Renault continued to provide technical support and engines to the team. Kubica managed some podium places through the season whilst Petrov took some time to acclimatise to F1 with a best finish of 5th in Hungary, matching Renault’s finish in the Constructor’s Championship.

For 2011 Renault sold it’s remaining 25% share to Lotus cars resulting in a change of team name to Lotus Renault GP causing a legal battle with Team Lotus as to who had the rights to use the name Lotus in F1. Renault will also race under a British licence this season leaving F1 without a French team for the first time since 1975.

Renault planned to retain the same driver line up but Kubica crashed in a rally car prior to pre-season testing and has been replaced by former team mate Nick Heidfeld. They will use the R31 chassis.

But tis particular argument implies that the points he scored and the said massive amount of prize money are down to him alone, rather than the staff who provided him the (rather competitive) car he scored them with in the first place...;)

I'm sure both Grosjean and Valsecchi mentioned it last year.

Add to that, according to reports the engineers got paid first then the rest.

There's also the fact of, if they have not paid you or your fellow colleagues, how do you expect them to build a competitive car?

Lotus have been a load of shambles since 2011, they still haven't got a title sponsor despite some offers

This year they have been nowhere, missing the first test, had major problems in the test they appeared at, struggled to finish both races and still trying to figure out their car. All in the year where it's crucial to get everything right and prepared since it's the start of these new rules.

Someone really needs to buy this team because they have the talent, but too many issues (mainly $$$).

I'm sure both Grosjean and Valsecchi mentioned it last year.

I'm fairly certain Grosjean stayed completely out of the pay issue and said nothing. I'd stand corrected if someone can find something but I'm fairly certain for 3 reasons.

1- I didn't hear anything

2 - Everyone from pundit to poster was asking what Grosjeans pay situation was because nothing had been said

And

3 - He must be fairly certain he never said anything to go to the media and say he never said anything. Would be pretty easy for them to find out and he'd look pretty stupid.

Where Davide Valsecchi is concerned I'm not sure he was even getting paid.

As for being a shambles sine 2011. Financially I agree however race wise they had their 2 best years in 2012 and 2013 since 2006!

Well can't find much on Grosjean, but there is somewhere in an article about it, when describing the situation at Lotus, can't find it.

2 - Everyone from pundit to poster was asking what Grosjeans pay situation was because nothing had been said

Not sure about that, don't remember many asking about, never mind 'everyone from pundit to poster'.

Where Davide Valsecchi is concerned I'm not sure he was even getting paid.

He was:
http://grandprix247.com/2014/01/14/...hat-of-a-waiter-but-lotus-havent-paid-me-yet/

As for being a shambles sine 2011. Financially I agree however race wise they had their 2 best years in 2012 and 2013 since 2006!

I'm not talking about on track, I'm talking about off track. 2012 and 2013 performances show that they've still got it, but they are still behind in many areas.

The only reason Kimi was being highlighted as the one not being paid is because he was buggering off to Ferrari and so the pay thing was enhanced to fill some column inches...

Sly - if you go back through this thread you'll see it and in the later end of last year when he was on form Martin Brundle asked the question frequently.

I'm pretty certain he deliberatly refused to comment on the situation. Like I said, I'll stand corrected, but I'm fairly certain he didn't. Lets remember his manager was also the boss at Enstone at the time.

This is a bit late, but could Grosjean's car pulling hard to the left under braking be a result of the asymmetrical design? More asymmetrical bits than just the nose now.

The buggers have been reading my chat posts. I thought that they had given Pastor 3 laps in Q1 and then just switched off before he binned it.

Reminds me of a favourite "irony" gag in the currently moribund "You Only Stig Thrice" birthday comic strip series ...
Maldonado as Accident Researcher.jpg

My apologies to peeps who have missed out due to my being "away" ... full explanations and excuses available on request via the "Conversation" facility. 8-)

When Lotus skipped the first test, then debuted that ridiculous asymmetrical nose, it was a clear signal that this season was a write-off. Well, maybe the signing of Maldo was the signal. Caterham would be thrilled with P12 now though!

... and no Mercurial rising from the ashes of what looks increasingly like inevitable defeat this season. They'll have to do it the hard way, methinks.:thinking:

Although when Martin Brundle interviewed Helmut Marko there was a suggestion of a Red Bull engine. McLaren did it with Porsche, at least with TAG money, so why can't it happen again?

Back
Top Bottom