50 Days to go...What you looking forward to in 2011?

ATL11

Pole Sitter
So as the counter on my laptop says there are now 50 days a few hours to the start of the 1st race of the 2011 Season, what are we looking forward too in 2011?

Can Seb go back to Back?
Will Ferrari anger mean they are fast out the blocks?
Will McLaren find that extra pace needed?
Can the Mercs really start fighting above their weight?
Dark Horses Renault can they build on last season with the Pole?
& bigger picture will the new Regs mean we see overtaking (again)?

What you looking forward too?

I really felt a great buzz before the 2010 season started, I couldn't wait for it to start. This season hasn't grabbed my attention yet. Perhaps when testing starts I'll get the buzz back, for now I'm just filled with a sense of impending doom. :disappointed:

Perhaps I should qualify that... :thinking:

I am not looking forward to the return of KERs, which I recall disadvantaged larger drivers and smaller teams. And I am pretty sure that the stalling rear wing overtaking concept is the most banal, insidious idea that F1 has ever come up with. Worse even, than refuelling! :bored:

The only good thing I see from having the driver adjustable wings Snowy is at least they will be able to keep both hands on the steering wheel through corners like Eau Rouge, unlike with the F-Duct...

49 gaurenteed days of no formula 1, little other motorsport.
49 gaurenteed days of not or not worring about getting up at stupid times of the morning to catch Free pratice, Quali, race etc.
49 days of not having to fight for the TV remote, because theres little else of any thing intresting to watch.
49 gaurenteed days that my set top box will get a beather from recording F1 stuff.
49 gaurenteed days of not having stupid questions from my mother (yess 22 and still living at home, i know disgraceful) with nothing better to do on a sunday but ask the same stupid questions very race like 'why are stopping again?' at the end of the formation lap. 'why they have to stop during the race?' 'What does the yellow flag mean?' etc. And she even doesn't like Formula 1 :rolleyes:

....And then on the 50th day bliss, has the madness starts once every couple of weekends.

The sights and the sounds :)

Its the 7 time champions make or brake year too ROFL I know one thing, he will be all or nothing, hero or zero, I'm still not sure which, but there has been a lot done in the background by Pirelli and Mercedes to get the car and tires built round him. :thinking: Annoying as it is to still see him demanding, and still managing to get, everything based around him due to his new apparent inability to work with whats available, id like to see some great drives from him (to 2nd place max :snigger: ) because i honestly can't remember any of his genius moments of the past because i was blind to them since he was always the arch rival to whom i wanted to win..

Following his last years cruise, I'm in a strange position of actually thinking that my hatred towards his aggressive, pompous, demanding, dangerous at times driving of his first career in F1 was actually justified, not just me being against him as a rival :dunno: but i will find out this year.

snowy said:
I am not looking forward to the return of KERs, which I recall disadvantaged larger drivers and smaller teams. And I am pretty sure that the stalling rear wing overtaking concept is the most banal, insidious idea that F1 has ever come up with. Worse even, than refuelling! :bored:

The minimum car weight is being upped by 20 kilos to 640 kg so KERS shouldn't hinder a heavier driver very much. I'll be very interested to see who shows up in Bahrain with the system.

When the moveable rear wing concept was originally being bandied about, I thought it artificial and gimmicky, but I'm willing to wait and see what kind of impact it will have on the racing before I make any more negative comments on the idea.

What I'm most looking forward to in 2010 is a couple Hamilton/Vettel battles. If these two are in somewhat equal cars, there could be some fireworks.

I'm looking forward to the first test session, to see how [some of] the new cars compare and how the two Mclaren guys fare against each other.
I'm looking forward to the second session to see how the rest of the cars compare.
I'm looking forward to the first race, to see how they all actually compare.
I'm looking forward to Williams getting a race win or at least a podium.
I'm looking forward to seeing Massa leading a race with Alonso in 2nd place, just to see what happens next.
I'm looking forward to seeing if Lewis can regain the WDC to become a two-time winner (gonna be tough I think, but I have every confidence if Mclaren can deliver a reasonably competitive car).
Most of all, I'm looking forward to the British Grand Prix. Can't wait (arrive at Silverstone Woodlands campsite on the Thursday; live bands on the stage (Might see EJ guest drumming and 'dissing' DC again, with a bit of luck), lots of beer, lots of flags, lots of atmosphere and fingers crossed a Mclaren one-two.

The end of it so we get nearer to 2013/14 and have finally changes long overdue.

Racing was utter crap in 2010 and I'd rather rave no championship race but plenty of on track racing, then a championship race with on track racing (rain doesn't count, nether passing the "GP2" cars).

DOF_power said:
The end of it so we get nearer to 2013/14 and have finally changes long overdue.

Racing was utter crap in 2010 and I'd rather rave no championship race but plenty of on track racing, then a championship race with on track racing (rain doesn't count, nether passing the "GP2" cars).

Yawn.... I will think you will find a lot of people will disagree with you on that, me included. And rain does count, there have been boring wet races as well in the past (Silverstone 2002)

Much as I hate to admit it, I hope that Schumacher displays some of his old skills, so that the haters will finally have to shut up.

I also have the nagging suspicion that the Red Menace is on a slight downward spiral, where internal power struggles predominate as it did pre-Brawn and pre-Todt. The Italians have always been a very political squad and it appears to be coming more to the fore than in the recent past.

MCLS said:
DOF_power said:

Yawn.... I will think you will find a lot of people will disagree with you on that, me included. And rain does count, there have been boring wet races as well in the past (Silverstone 2002)

There have been boring racing since the early mid 70s when chicanes and wings took off. For a brief period around circa 82 the ground effects and turbos allows some nice (but deadly as well) racing.

I'd like an 82 style championship with some more Monza 67/69/71 style racing.

snowy said:
I really felt a great buzz before the 2010 season started, I couldn't wait for it to start. This season hasn't grabbed my attention yet. Perhaps when testing starts I'll get the buzz back, for now I'm just filled with a sense of impending doom. :disappointed:

I agree, 2011 rules are basically the same as last year, but with these fake overtaking buttons. Last years on track action was very diappointing with overtaking nearly immpossible. At the start of last year I was under the immpression that I would see lots of overtaking, but as it turned out there was very little.

DOF_power said:
There have been boring racing since the early mid 70s when chicanes and wings took off. For a brief period around circa 82 the ground effects and turbos allows some nice (but deadly as well) racing.

I'd like an 82 style championship with some more Monza 67/69/71 style racing.

Well you can dream...

One thing I am looking for is the ultimate judgement on Schumacher 2010-12 which will be delivered in this season. That will be very interesting.

Despite his simulator sickness ;)

His comeback was sort of sudden, I imagine he will be slightly fitter and in race trim this season. I'm sticking my neck out a bit by saying he won't be the laughing stock this year he was last. :unsure:

I've taken a long time to think of an answer to this one and I still can't come up with anything concrete.

I'm looking forward to another season of F1 and hoping for a close contest with some great racing but other than that I'm finding it very hard to muster any enthusiasm for this season in the same way that I couldn't wait for 2010.

The return of Lotus has turned into a farce, I've got grave doubts about the moving rear wing plus the rest of the regulations seem to be nothing more than an interim solution before (yet another) major re-working in 2012 and so from a technical point of view there is very little to get thrilled about.

As far as hopes go, I'd like to see Williams continue to improve and find a way back to the front and I'd like to see a close but fair battle for the title but really that's just about it.

:bored:

Back
Top Bottom