2022 Silly season

Young driver programs are nothing new really though are they? The French influx in the late 70's early 80's were pushed through by Elf. BP used to run something to promote British driving talent. Frentzen, Schumacher and Wendlinger were all products of a Mercedes driver academy when Merc didn't even have an F1 team.

Drivers make it to F1 through a variety of routes. Some deserve to be there on merit, others buy or have their way in bought for them and these are often found out. There have also been many sensational drivers who, almost certainly, would have been exceptional either in F1 or in a competitive F1 seat. And we can, of course, spend many happy hours arguing how Marco Ardigo was the greatest driver of all time.

Of the drivers you feel who should not be on the grid

Raikkonen - about time he left
Mazepin - unfortunately he feels he is not doing anything wrong and the stewards agree

Now before I would have said Stroll and Latifi but both have done as much as they could with their machinery

So that is only 2 out of 20

Really they need F1 to do more..I wonder how many of the current FE drivers would outperform the current F1 drivers if they swap seats

I am beginning to think Mercedes should swap Bottas and Russel for the rest of the season. I wonder if Russell could have finished second in the race and helped increase Hamilton's lead.

Of course I don't think Mercedes would do it, because they don't want to humiliate Bottas. But it seems like the right move. The wingman is useless unless he is at the wing.

I am beginning to think Mercedes should swap Bottas and Russel for the rest of the season. I wonder if Russell could have finished second in the race and helped increase Hamilton's lead.

Of course I don't think Mercedes would do it, because they don't want to humiliate Bottas. But it seems like the right move. The wingman is useless unless he is at the wing.
Apparently it was an engine issue which raises concerns about Hamilton's engines but even so Bottas surrendered so tamely against Verstappen

interesting development i was reading apparently everyone thought zhou was like stevie wonder. signed sealed & delivered. because F1 teams love a pay driver specially if he is bringing £25m. but from rumours i was reading & this is all my interpretation

fred vasseur was angry at at potentially zhou arrogance that zhou thought because he is bringing the money. he gets to call the shots & demanding 2yr/3yr contract (depending what you read) & of course they only want 1 season contract. so oscar piastri the guy who looks likely to follow in footsteps of Leclerc & Russell in recent years & historically Hamilton & Hulkenberg to win GP3/F3, GP2/F2 in consecutive years

which is a good thing for F1 as i said that final spot in a perfect world should go the F2 champion

F1Brits_90 this is an interesting development seeing it looks like Giovinazzi is a goner

So the choice is down to Zhou, Pouchaire and Piastri

They are playing down Pouchaire because he is inexperienced

Zhou's demands are ridiculous using money as leverage but it does show Vasseur has got balls not to cave in knowing full well he has an array of promising young drivers to go for

Piastri would deserve a shot if he is F2 champ ahead of Zhou but Vasseur was not sure why they want to develop another Alpine driver

I should add I wonder if BMW want to do F1 again if the regulations change about the engines as VW look like they will jump with Red Bull then there is possibility of both Williams and Mclaren teaming up with a VW brand

Back to BMW - the only thing major in motorsport they have are DTM and World Superbikes I would not call them trying to market their brand globally. The I series models was a perfect tie in Formula E but not sure now

The timing of both Audi (VW) and BMW announcing withdrawing from FE in late 2020 - is there a connection ?

i was reading about drivers contract apparently half of the grid are in their final year
Perez
Sainz
Alonso
Vettel
Gasly
Tsunoda
Schumacher
Latifi
Albon
Zhou

i think Sainz & Perez should be fine, id assume that zhou will remain providing he does well. but the other 7 i find it interesting. if id put them in piles
Renewed - Albon, Perez, Sainz & Zhou
Maybe - Schumacher, Alonso
Moves - Gasly
Leaves - Latifi, Vettel, Tsunoda

i was reading about drivers contract apparently half of the grid are in their final year
Perez
Sainz
Alonso
Vettel
Gasly
Tsunoda
Schumacher
Latifi
Albon
Zhou

i think Sainz & Perez should be fine, id assume that zhou will remain providing he does well. but the other 7 i find it interesting. if id put them in piles
Renewed - Albon, Perez, Sainz & Zhou
Maybe - Schumacher, Alonso
Moves - Gasly
Leaves - Latifi, Vettel, Tsunoda
Sounds right. I might put Tsunoda as a maybe.

Gasly where to ? If not Red Bull?
Schumacher will stay at Haas unless Bottas is bought out at Alfa
Vettel - I thought he had another year?

P1 tsunoda i guess will depend on performances & whose available. you have Lawson, Darulavla, Vips, & Hauger waiting in F2 & if 1 of them wins F2 you would assume that 1 will be promoted

Il_leone gasly thats a good question because i cant see him renewing at alpha tauri for a 7th season. but yes its hard to see an opening outside there. Vettel he might have an option on another year but its yet contracted

I suspect that Perez will be dropped by Red Bull and Gasly bought back up to the main team. Perez, and his big bucket of dollars, will find another seat elsewhere, probably Williams instead of Latifi.

I suspect that Perez will be dropped by Red Bull and Gasly bought back up to the main team. Perez, and his big bucket of dollars, will find another seat elsewhere, probably Williams instead of Latifi.
I don't disagree that Latifi needs to be dropped but he might be undroppable given Williams might want to appeal to the North American market . Do Williams have the balls to do it then?

Back
Top Bottom