Poll 2022 CTA Driver of the Year

F1Brits_90

World Champion
its that time the annual tradition of the CTA driver of the year. as we always say every year it the only time of the year where there really is no wrong answers because it can be top 10 in championship or the top 10 pound for pound. its your choice on who merits a place in your list then. thats your opinion. & its a great way to get everyone's opinion on how the 2022 grid fared this season & who you thought impressed or who you thought disappointed.

Preferably a top 10, but i dont mind top 3, top 5, top 10 . just post it below. like F1 the top driver gets 25pts, 10th gets 1pt. the driver with most points when everyone who wants to post has posted . Will be 2022 CTA Driver of the year & join the great drivers like these. & the winner will be likely be announced Christmas or New Year

Current roll of honour
2010 - Lewis Hamilton
2011 - Sebastian Vettel
2012 - Fernando Alonso
2013 - Sebastian Vettel
2014 - Daniel Riccardio
2015 - Lewis Hamilton
2016 - Daniel Riccardo
2017 - Lewis Hamilton
2018 - Lewis Hamilton
2019 - Lewis Hamilton
2020 - Lewis Hamilton
2021 - Lewis Hamilton

Going by all round performance in a crap car with a new team and soundly out performing his vastly experienced team mate it has to be George Russell

You know its easy to go to Verstappen but such is the car and the opposition being weak plus they only look superior because of the spending cap lifted which makes me question Red Bull's credibility

You would say Russell just ahead of Hamilton

1. Max Verstappen (25)
  2. Charles Leclerc (18 + 1 for fastest lap)
  3. George Russell (15)
  4. Lando Norris (12)
  5. Lewis Hamilton (10)
  6. Kevin Magnussen (8)
  7. Nyck de Vries (6)
  8. Valtteri Bottas (4)
  9. Carlos Sainz (2)
  10. Sebastian Vettel (1)
Drivers who I think have seriously under-performed, and should be thinking about stepping down:
  • Esteban Ocon
  • Fernando Alonso
  • PIerre Gasly
  • Lance Stroll
  • Yuki Tsunoda
  • Zhou Guanyu
(Plus of course, Latifi, and I feel a tinge of sorry losing the Schumacher name again).

My Top 10:

1) Max Verstappen - As painful as it is to write,
2) George Russell
3) Charles Leclerc
4) Lewis Hamilton
5) Sergio Perez
6) Carlos Sainz
7) Esteban Ocon
8) Lando Norris
9) Kevin Magnusson
10) Sebastian Vettel.

1. Max Verstappen (25)
  2. Charles Leclerc (18 + 1 for fastest lap)
  3. George Russell (15)
  4. Lando Norris (12)
  5. Lewis Hamilton (10)
  6. Kevin Magnussen (8)
  7. Nyck de Vries (6)
  8. Valtteri Bottas (4)
  9. Carlos Sainz (2)
  10. Sebastian Vettel (1)
Drivers who I think have seriously under-performed, and should be thinking about stepping down:
  • Esteban Ocon
  • Fernando Alonso
  • PIerre Gasly
  • Lance Stroll
  • Yuki Tsunoda
  • Zhou Guanyu
(Plus of course, Latifi, and I feel a tinge of sorry losing the Schumacher name again).
Harsh on Alonso because his reliability rate was atrocious when he looked good.

Stroll Gasly both gone backwards

ZHOU not done that bad to Bottas it has to be said

Ocon the same as ever consistent but not spectacular

Harsh on Alonso because his reliability rate was atrocious when he looked good.

Stroll Gasly both gone backwards

ZHOU not done that bad to Bottas it has to be said

Ocon the same as ever consistent but not spectacular
I think that Alonso has been seat-blocking all season. I have not seen any evidence that Ocon is a top-level driver, and the fact that Alonso was beaten over the course of the season by Ocon suggests that he is lacking.

The fact that yet again, Alonso fell out with his team also is a factor in this classification.

Let's see your top 10 then.

Russell
Verstappen- as said before the fact he is in a car that goes beyond budget and a teammate not allowed to race him
Leclerc
Hamilton
Sainz
Norris sent Ricciardo to retirement
Perez - two race wins but his mid season slump cost him 2nd in the championship in the best car
Alonso - his results does not say the whole thing
K Mag thrashed Schumacher completely
Bottas/ De Vries/Albon

Last edited:
finally got around to my top 10
1) Verstappen - on driver skill it cant be anyone else for me, 15 wins equals Vettels 2013 season on % . & has been virtually unbeatable since july

2) Russell - he had his up & downs but came into a tricky car, managed to stay mostly competitive with Hamilton. took great pole in hungary. then brazil is it a sign of things to come. only 3rd person to beat Hamilton, finishing 4th

3) Perez - yes has the best car, but he is doing the perfect job that they need. because whenever Verstappen isnt there Perez always is. as shown in Saudi, Monaco & Singapore. will be kicking himself to not be 2nd

4) Leclerc - only this high up because of dominant they looked in his 1st 3 races & 8 poles. but that 2nd half of the year was huge disappointment

5) Norris - only B team driver to step on the podium this year, clearly the best of the rest by a mile, joked he's finished 7th so often he going to change his number. you can hope mclaren can find something so he isnt wasted. show the talent we know he has like George Russell has

6) Hamilton - struggled 1st half of the year questions asked but found something in canada & was unlucky, probally couldve won British, Dutch & Brazil GP but for bad luck. finished the year 1st strong. proving if you give him the car he will deliver

7) Sainz - a nice maiden win this season at silverstone but for Lewis DNF in Abu Dhabi, he wouldve finished 6th effective last in A Championship. which considering the car Ferrari started the season with is a travesty

8) Alonso - i thought drove really well this season hamstrung by reliability, i heard something 4 out of the last 7, he'd retired with the same water pump. doesnt seem to be affect by age yet

9) Vettel - mainly for the end of the season, seem to be driving really well, by the end of the season as well as ive seen him since kimi left ferrari in 2018

10) Magnussen - came back, beat schumacher, brilliant 5th on his 2nd debut, got regular points & then to top it off a brilliant pole in brazil under huge pressure

1) Russell - Tricky car to drive but still managed to get a win and beat Hamilton. Had some rough patches but overall consistent.

2) Hamilton - Struggled in the beginning but then got on top of the car and never seemed to be far from scoring podiums come sunday.

3) Verstappen - Super dominate, and most wins in a season. I put him 3rd though because without the car being so fast he would have lost more races due to mistakes.

4) Leclerc - Super, super quick in Qualifying even when Red Bull had the advanted. Most poles but unfortunately had some mistakes which cost wins.

5) Perez - Kinda underwhelming but still got the wins when Verstappen didn't. He's still quick on his day though.

6) Sainz - Good support role, picked up his first pole and win. Too many lap 1 mistakes but he is still fast and on a good day can hang in the front.

7) Norris - Definitely best of the rest and in a difficult car to drive. It's impressive what he can get out of the weekend in a car that's not too good.

8) Alonso - Way faster than his teammate. The only reason he has less points is because of the reliabillity. Out did his car several times and had some awesome drives for points.

9) Vettel - In one of the worst cars on the grid and had terrible strategy for a lot of races but still had some insanely quick and furious races to finish in the points. Destroyed his teammate.

10) Magnussen - Came back to F1 and started through punches. I think he would be higher if he didn't have so many lap 1 incidents. But really impressive in a slow car.

I think that Alonso has been seat-blocking all season. I have not seen any evidence that Ocon is a top-level driver, and the fact that Alonso was beaten over the course of the season by Ocon suggests that he is lacking.

The fact that yet again, Alonso fell out with his team also is a factor in this classification.
The argument has merits but Alpine never quite got to the front 3. I think both are seat blocking Ocon is in the team because he is French but his career has made small progress compared to his old junior rivals Verstappen Leclerc and Russell

Alpine/Renault need to do better they been in F1 6 years and not made quite done enough

that is strange one on alonso, it must be on purpose

The argument has merits but Alpine never quite got to the front 3. I think both are seat blocking Ocon is in the team because he is French but his career has made small progress compared to his old junior rivals Verstappen Leclerc and Russell

Alpine/Renault need to do better they been in F1 6 years and not made quite done enough
Yes, Alpine really do need to make a step up. If Audi comes and instantly beats them, that would be embarrassing for a manufacturer. I do believe that Alonso is still performing great though. He might be able to squeeze some performance out of the car. I just home Daddy Stroll can take his criticism.
for me that was a tough 1 to leave out because i really wanted to get Albon in because i thought he had driven brilliantly in the worst car. but there always a 11th driver
I almost had Albon on my list as well. He has performed great in the slowest car! He needs a quicker car. Honorable mention for sure 👍

Back
Top Bottom