Poll 2019 Singapore Grand Prix out of Ten

How did you rate the 2019 Singapore GP out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
3. Some, not much, racing at the back of the field , a very dull front of the field, and a lot of team shenanigans which completely altered the race.

This race had possibly the most exciting anticipation of the season. We just didn't know who would come out on top, with three teams potentially in line for a win. In the end, a damp squib. 4 points.

I've just listened to the team radio on F1TV, neither Vettels nor Leclerc pit stop were planned. They were told to come in after exiting T21. I suppose Leclerc's stop was a reaction to Vettel's times.

I would also add that Vettel was racing against Hamilton and an undercut was the only way to overtake him. I don't believe anyone at Ferrari expected Vettel to have such a blistering out lap which eventually moved him into P1. He was ~3 sec behind Leclerc when he came in and his pit stop was .6 sec slower than Leclerc's. So he made up nearly 4 sec with Leclerc trailing him by only a few metres when he left the pits.

I've just listened to the team radio on F1TV, neither Vettels nor Leclerc pit stop were planned. They were told to come in after exiting T21. I suppose Leclerc's stop was a reaction to Vettel's times.

I would also add that Vettel was racing against Hamilton and an undercut was the only way to overtake him. I don't believe anyone at Ferrari expected Vettel to have such a blistering out lap which eventually moved him into P1. He was ~3 sec behind Leclerc when he came in and his pit stop was .6 sec slower than Leclerc's. So he made up nearly 4 sec with Leclerc trailing him by only a few metres when he left the pits.

👍

4. Could have a been a classic race towards the end, but then they had theee safety cars. They really need to limit the safety cars to when there is only a dangerous on-track problem. The ending was anti-climatic and clearly no one fought for a position towards the end.

1.Having had a run of really good races recently this race was always going to be a let down as with the previous years race, with the cars going round 7-8 seconds of the pace to preserve tyres for a one stop strategy was never going to make for a good race.

I think it was more about Ferrari not keeping Leclerc up to date that the undercut was powerful so either get him to go faster or risk getting hit by the undercut

I think Ross Brawn would made sure Ferrari reacted quicker in that situation for the lead driver

Leclerc has lost more points and races having to cede to some dubious calls. I have to say it appears Ferrari have given up on the drivers title as well because probably that adds to Leclerc frustration as well

Remember what Binotto said that Ferrari will favour Vettel in 50 -50 situations pre season. This definitely was not a 50-50 situation

Last edited:
I gave it a 9, I've waited a long time to see Vettel driving like that again and take the win. For me he won that race fair and square, he used his experience to make the undercut and get ahead, he also passed the other cars still on track much more swiftly than Leclerc did after his pitstop. Verstappen did the same thing and got ahead of Hamilton in the same way but no one seems to think that was unfair. I was slightly annoyed at Leclerc's attitude after the race, why should the team ask Vettel to move over for him? Vettel got ahead fairly and stayed there, fairly in my view. Then again I might be slightly biased, I will admit that.

I was slightly annoyed at Leclerc's attitude after the race, why should the team ask Vettel to move over for him?

maybe because he got used to it?

seriously, each and every one of the top guys think that the world revolves around each of them, it that wasn't the case they wouldn't be where they are, so I can understand Leclerc's gut reaction, I think that Ferrari's pit wall should have been a bit more firm when they explained to him over the radio what had happened

Last edited:
maybe because he got used to it?

seriously, each and every one of the top guys think that the world revolves around each of them, it that wasn't the case they wouldn't be where they are, so I can understand Leclerc's gut reaction, I think that Ferrari's pit wall should have been a bit more firm when they explained to him over the radio what had happened

Point taken. Leclerc apparently said 'you shouldn't use the undercut on your own team mate', maybe he's right but to me it just sounds like he's being a sore loser rather than graciously admitting that Seb got it right and he didn't. As you said, he had three chances after the safety car periods to make a move on Vettel and he didn't try once. We both know Vettel or Hamilton would have had a go if they had been in that situation.

I think it was more about Ferrari not keeping Leclerc up to date that the undercut was powerful so either get him to go faster or risk getting hit by the undercut
When Vettel left the pits Leclerc had passed the timing line of sector 1, when Vettel passed the timing line of sector 1 Leclerc had passed or was close to the second timing line, when Vettel's tyres were up to temperature he was close to the end of sector while Leclerc was close to the pit entry and that's when they called him in. At what point should they have updated Leclerc? When he's in the pits there's not much he can do while Vettel is pushing on track plus his pit stop was .6 sec faster than Vettel's.

In post-race interview Leclerc was asked about it, and he stated, that undercut as a strategy option was not discussed with drivers before race. I gather than with Vettel it was a call by pit wall based on in-real time situational analysis Vettel was in (lap count, and traffic around him). I am not sure one could plan for that; it just happened, and Leclerc might not like outcome, but he should realize Vettel is not there to end up off the podium. If he wrote Vettel off, well, now he knows better.

Back
Top Bottom