Grand Prix 2019 Austrian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Something different... Hope u enjoy
Lets hope for a great race guys!

Attachments

• The_Deer_Hunters_Rev.jpg
    The_Deer_Hunters_Rev.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
I think I saw the Williams more often than the Racing Point cars. Actually, that could be part of Claire's plan, Paul Stoddard used to make sure his Minardi's got lapped at least three times as it gave them time on camera to keep the sponsors happy.

I've always thought that a team strapped for cash at the back should just tell their drivers to ignore blue flags and hold the racing line so they got loads of TV time. Worked for Enrique Bernoldi.

Driver of the day - now corrected - voted by world feed
reveal that Verstappen scooped 74% of the public vote, with long-time leader Charles Leclerc receiving 11%

I have several questions about impact of those numbers:

1. Can this public sentiment be easily dismissed as "none issue"? (If so, then why bother to run this survey?)
2. How this will affect steward's bias side of their brain in future races? (I am not convinced that the answer is a simple one.)
3. Will Liberty and FiA act to prop sagging race popularity in detriment to other racers? (T.B.D.)

I am actually shocked by the points spread between Leclerc and Verstappen. One could argue that public seems to blatantly disregarded fresh events in Canada, and espoused aggressor in favor of a defender. Again. Massively. I am not convinced that this is something we should sweep under the carpet as non-issue. There cannot be one rule book for some, and another rule book for others.

Last edited:
The Austrian Grand Prix was the 9th Grand Prix to have all it's starters classified as finishers (no retirements in other words). 7 of the 9 were in the last decade, the other in 2005 and then bizarrely the 1961 Dutch Grand Prix.

Are we going to have to resurrect the "The McLaren's are so slow...." Game but this time for Williams?

yeah that's the funny thing I like how they would've thrown this race. I mentioned pre race this is the 1st race in 3 months im exited to watch, if they wanted to liberty media would not waited this long. considering the Chinese baku spain were pretty non events & Mercedes wouldn't have appeal in canada

Yeah but Merc are so far in front now so it doesn't matter. Plus the backlash in France was really really bad.

yeah it was bad, but I reading few articles which was along the lines of what I thought. there was such anger towards F1 is a good thing & positive. because it was because we care & love the sport, want it to be best it can be. if no one said anything that would be much worse

Being as they were outperformed by Red Bull with the same engine last year and now McLaren this year I really think that questions need to be asked about what is going on at Enstone right now.

I think they are basically 12-18 months behind McLaren's 'reset' after their little oh' shit moment. Enstone went through 4-5 years of continuous under-investment; i.e. none, just enough to keep them operational. During 2018 they invested, i think what is referred to in the trade as 'a shit-load of money' in new cnc machines, autoclaves etc etc. All the mega-money tooling, after their 2017 round of recruitment. I'd suggest that yes, this years car is worse than hoped, but it will be another year before that team and facilities begin to really bear fruit, a little like we are just beginning to see from McLaren. If the rules were or are close to being settled for '21, I'd be largely forgetting about next year as well, perhaps keeping the target of breaking free of the mid-field, at best.

I think at Sauber we would be seeing the same. The difference in their case is they have been handed all the listed parts from Ferrari, saving a good couple of years development.

This one doesn't sounds real. Mechanics and drivers, or supervisors would have to be involved. It's too risky and sooner or later story would come out. As someone said, it takes 300 years to build reputation, and then you toss it away in 5 min? I don't think so. Something (unplanned) odd happened in that race.

However other theory that Mercedes keeps gaps small to following cars in some races to create illusion that teams are catching up to them sounds very plausible. Motive - keep all "as is", do not change any rules.

Last edited:
yes mercedes certainly never threw that. because you can guarantee privately they wanted a clean sweep & they wanted all time 12 successive win record

i was thinking did we watch the best fully dry race. because all the classic races i can think of watching had rain at some point. even most dramatic race of last season had a dramatic downpour

Austria is a track where Mercedes don't usually go so well, Hamilton has struggled here before, so I don't know if they threw the race or just weren't up to their usual standard here.

As for the all the cars finishing, Karthikeyan still holds the record for being the driver to finish in the worst position I believe when he finished 24th in one of his races.

he does Angel with budgets higher than ever in a time when sponsorship is hardest to get. that will be a record he will keep for a while
--------------------------
also on the battle it seems now after at the time most drivers including his teammate vettel, was on the side of Verstappen. even Leclerc has come out & agreed that the move was right

The only thing is that I'd like a bit more consistency. I feel like there have been some other incidents in the past which have been less big and that have been penalised. If we can race that way, I'm more than happy to race that way - it's good for Formula 1. This is what us drivers want, but we just need to know what we can expect from the others. That's why I'd like probably more consistency in the penalties.

Charles Leclerc says Verstappen-style overtake good for F1

I wonder if in the age when there was a driver death quite regularly there were people attending races to see it happen?

Back
Top Bottom