Things ... 2018 Season Mid-Point

Bill Boddy Whatever way you look at it Alonso refused and Todt vowed never to sign him as team principal. Then when you are team principal of Ferrari with probably the biggest budget on the grid then why would you tell Alonso to walk away from his existing contract? Is it because he did not want to go to the CRB and get in some legal wrangle about contractual obligation and embarrass himself?

Alonso also probably knew he would be No 2 to Schumacher for many years if he did agree to join Ferrari

Ruslan Flavio has been accused of placing drivers from his stable into the Renault team for many years - that is because he takes 25% of the drivers salary which is what he sneakily wanted Button to do if he wanted to stay at Renault and earn a pay rise

Flavio says he knows how to pick the top drivers well Schumacher by chance Jordan really got mugged not realising that a contract is not valid if Schumacher did not sign it even though his management did

Alonso - he did not join Ferrari because he knew he would be in Schumacher's shadow and rejected their offer which Todt vowed never to sign him for Ferrari. That was more Alonso being shrewd enough to see his career path being blocked if he stayed at Ferrari

Pretty much every other driver has not great things to say about Flavio except Webber. One went even as far as saying he knows absolutely ":censored: about F1

Flavio has a history of destroying drivers careers; Herbert, Trulli, Fisichella, Piquet jnr obviously and even Grosjean's career took two years to recover so he is just as bad as Helmut in that area

He is also a dodgy tax evader and does not how to run a football club ... he fired I think 4 managers in one season at QPR which was ridiculous

Yeah he somehow knocked up Heidi Klum and then was not interested being a " Dad" to the kid

Quite familiar with Flavio's history, although I think you need to check your story on Heidi Klum.

But, either
1. Flavio had some competency that resulted in him winning 4 championships, and therefore has something useful to say.....or....
2. Any incompetent can successfully lead a formula one team.

Not sure what your argument is.

Flavio's achievements are over inflated and as one of his driver's said he knows :censored: about F1. Those 4 championships I think are more down to the drivers than anything to do with his management ...I think through out his Benetton/ Renault management career the wins from all those other drivers total less than 10 GPs. if you take out Alonso and Schumacher.

Success was more down to them than him

So we should take Flav's words with a pinch of salt

Flavio's achievements are over inflated and as one of his driver's said he knows :censored: about F1. Those 4 championships I think are more down to the drivers than anything to do with his management ...I think through out his Benetton/ Renault management career the wins from all those other drivers total less than 10 GPs. if you take out Alonso and Schumacher.

Success was more down to them than him

So we should take Flav's words with a pinch of salt
Well, he is has been successful in more ventures than just F1. So, I do take him seriously as a manager and I always find his comments to be worth listening to.

Il_leone

Hey, its Briatore. understand your dislike.....but, he still managed to win more championships than most team managers do. Just reading the section in Wikipedia on him called "Stance on the future of F1." Here are a few Briatore quotes from there:

In 1994, he said: "All the team owners are orientated towards the technical side rather than the entertainment side, and this is a big fault. Every meeting that I go to, people are talking about pistons and suspensions. Nobody goes to a race to see that kind of thing… People come to see Schumacher and Senna racing each other."​

Twelve years later his feelings were much the same: "The people in charge should be businessmen, as they are in Hollywood, not ex-engineers. Nothing costs more, and delivers less entertainment, than hidden technology. And that’s what engineers love most of all."​

On 20 March 2014 he said... "They delegated the writing of rules to engineers who do not care about the fans or entertainment, If Formula One does not change again in the near future, then the audience will be lost. Look at the comments on the internet, in blogs, on Twitter – they did not like the Australian Grand Prix. It was an indecipherable and depressing show. This is unacceptable and now we have chaos" said Briatore.​

On 12 June 2014 he said: "I do not like this new Formula One. It's not our Formula 1." "He pointed a finger at cars that "do not make a noise", drivers having to "save fuel" and "fake overtaking". He added: "It is no longer a sport of gladiators, it is a sport of accountants."​

Anyhow, it is well known that he did not know anything about the engineering, and really did not care. Obviously, he was successful in spite of that.

Last edited:
Ruslan He is right on that part but when the team bosses fight for direction of the sport - they are actually listening to engineers not race drivers because the extra money and resource into engineering gives its a more competitive edge than say a driver can

Well, you asked for it -
briatore-original.jpg

Not going to believe you until it's posted in this one.

I'd love to oblige you gethinceri however, our old forum is gone, kaputski, can't get to it anymore :bawl: and the person who posted it has moved continents to get married. Sadly we're no longer in touch.

Plus, I wouldn't do that to cider_and_toast, I'd be worried about what it would do to his blood pressure if I did ;)

Edit: a quick google search brought it up. Now, dare I post it? Or will it get me banned!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom