Grand Prix 2018 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So after an exciting British GP we move on to Germany. The Hockenheimring, where hopefully the excitement will continue.
It really is the home race of Mercedes, as the original circuit was used by Mercedes Benz to test their cars, but that was a very long time ago and the circuit then was nothing like the current, and in my opinion, strangely shaped circuit of today. Seen from the air it's a sort of square shape with a protuberance shaped like" Pinnochio's nose" coming off one side. Much has changed since the large triangular circuit that Mercedes Benz used. At one point the circuit became a large oval shape and ran through the forrest, and the race could be dry in the Stadium section and wet through the trees, which was always an interesting situation. However Herman Tilk got his hands on the place, and now the circuit is 4.75Km long and the forrest section is gone for ever.
It 's not a track with a lot of fast corners and it's quite slow through the twisty stadium section which is one of the original parts of the track that remains, and, where they have built a large number of grandstands. Obviously a good place to watch the race from.
The last race here was in 2016, and it was won by Lewis Hamilton in ... A Mercedes...But they haven't had it all their own way. Ferrari have had the most wins at Hockenheim over the years, so both teams will be going there with Huge expectations. I'm not about to pretend that I have any idea which car will be well suited to the track, or indeed which tyres should do well, the tyre choices are, I believe, Soft, Ultrasoft and Medium. But our CTA tyre expert will reveal all, I'm sure.

Qualifying at Hockenheim is quite important, as in, you qualify well, you do well. Although some of our younger drivers may not have got that point, I'm Sure Max will give it a go wherever he qualifies. Vettel now has 171 points to Hamilton's 163. Raikkonen is on 116 and Bottas is on 104. Obviously Ferrari are ahead, 287 to 267. Red Bull are doing their best but on 199 points total they are really going to have to hope for a miracle. The race is between the top two teams at the moment, and for once it really is a race. Lets hope it remains exciting in Germany. Lets hope Romain has a weekend where he doesn't hit anything or anyone. And lets hope for a miracle for McLaren as well as for Red Bull.
For anyone who is going to the race, if you walk through the old forrest section you will find a wooden cross a memorial to Jim Clark. There is a plaque behind turn 2 of todays circuit for him, but it's only there because the forrest section is no longer part of the circuit. One of the F1 greats.

Last edited:
1 & 2 - i believe its a 2 horse race barring unreliability. Bottas is unlucky not to be in contention. But Hamilton & vettel are just a cut above in the 2 best teams

3- Probally they are in a bad way. As we finding out that last 3 years were terrible because honda reliability & mclaren car is so draggy it will always struggle

4 - i really worry for them. Williams they really are in disarray. Its sad to seem they hit rock bottom. I remember watching teds monaco qualifying notebook & impromptu Patrick head interview. He said that Williams thought they had update worth around 1.5 - 2 secs. But Fp1 didnt bode well with the 2 tone aero paint that ted said that is sure fire way to know that their dont trust windtunnel
Well, it did look like the Mercedes and Ferrari were pretty close to equal in qualifying. If Hamilton had been out there, I wonder who would have had pole.

The McLaren and Williams both looked a little better, but not a significant turn-around. Sirotkin is the only driver who has yet to score points. Has a chance now.

Going to be an entertaining race with Hamilton and Ricciardo in the back. They are two of the better drivers in traffic.

Now.....what would be said if on the first corner, Bottas's left front wheel taps Vettel's right rear wheel and sends him into a spin. Would that be a 5 second penalty or a 10 second penalty? Don't want to miss the start tomorrow.

This is a Lewis explanation of events
Screenshot_20180721-224341.jpg
Screenshot_20180721-224356.jpg

That sems a little odd @F1Brits_9, the team were telling him to stop because he might do damage to the engine. Is the engine linked to the steering?

FB....They have spent so long to get back to the top of F1 so I can't see them quitting....

If they lose this and next year I can see them quitting with declarations about electric cars being the future so they will put their resources with that.

Bill Boddy Maybe not be a full manufacturer team in F1 but apart from DTM there is not a motorsport series where they get global coverage for their brand if they are trying to sell road cars

Now if Formula E really takes off then possible where fans are no longer interested in F1 - I'd rewrite the TV contract with Sky and get it back on terrestrial TV because it will definitely hurt F1

Yes, so did I..,

Hamilton’s actions yesterday seemed the actions of a spoilt child- he knew his car was broken, so instead of pulling off the circuit, as instructed by his team, he effectively ruined most of the drivers’ final laps by falling off the circuit, and then pushing his car on a live circuit to try to get back to the pits.

Having admitted that, I would throw the book at him.

Vettel was given a penalty in Austria for holding up Sainz. I don’t see how this could be dealt with any more leniently!

Vettel was given a penalty in Austria for holding up Sainz. I don’t see how this could be dealt with any more leniently!

It's Hamilton that we're talking about, they're not going to punish him.

Regarding his behavior in a sense I can understand him, adrenaline is flowing and he tried to do something, I don't blame him for that, I know that pushing your car can be dangerous but so are many other things, he's not a robot, he's a human being

Pity that he might have ruined the chances of other drivers

From what has been said this weekend in commentary and interviews it appears Hamilton is carrying some sort of injury (Brundle suggested back). If this is the case it could go someway to explain his erratic behaviour of late. If you know you have a title fight on your hands and aren't 100% then you're going to be frustrated. On a personal note when I had a back problem I was in so much discomfort I was a grumpy sod too and I was just laying on the sofa watching Netflix not driving an F1 car.

This is all speculation of course not solid fact.

Back
Top Bottom