Grand Prix 2017 Russia Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

As the Formula One circus shakes the Bahraini sand from it's shoes it heads to Russia for the 6th running of the Russian Grand Prix. Held for the last 3 years on the streets of Sochi the circuit wends it's way around the 5.9Km long Sochi Autodrom which was built as part of the 2014 Winter Olympic Park.

The last 3 Grand Prix around this circuit have all been won by a Mercedes driver with Lewis Hamilton scoring two wins with Nico Rosberg climbing the podium as victor last year.

However, it appears that the stranglehold Mercedes have had on the Championship over the last few seasons may be being loosened in the guise of Sebastian Vettel's Ferrari with the German taking two wins this season. Some could argue that for a duff strategy call and a penalty in Bahrain that Hamilton could be leading, but, in a sport where the margins are so fine on such events are championships won and lost. Vettel will be hoping for a better race than last year where he was unceremoniously punted off the track at turn 2.

Behind Hamilton and Vettel we have the Finns of Bottas and Raikkonen, Bottas may be disappointed that he couldn't convert his maiden pole position in Bahrain into his first win and if recent reports are to be believed team orders may come into play in the future races. Kimi was just disappointed that they'd run out of Tutti-Frutti ice cream.

Behind the German and Italian national teams we have the Fizzy Pop boys of Red Bull, Verstappen had a cracking drive in China but his adventures in the desert were cut short by brake failure, Will we see a blistering drive from the young Dutchman to make up for this disappointment?

Behind the top 3 teams there's a ding dong of a midfield battle with Williams, Force India, Torro Rosso and Haas all battling it out for points.

Rumour has it that Fernando Alonso will be driving a Communist era Trabant around the Russian track as "it'll be faster than this **^%$3**%%$~* Honda"

The tyres for Sochi are the Ultra soft, supersoft and soft compounds and judging by how the new formulation of rubber has been hanging on so far this season we may well a one stop race for the front runners with other teams taking a gamble on more stops and fresher rubber towards the end of the race.

Let battle commence!

Russia_zpsh9xx35fv.png

Delighted for bottas. What a nice guy & made a cracking start, built a great gap. Then defended so well under such immense pressure made worse by the pressure going for maiden victory & flatspots. Remember button says bang & knocks you would never normally hear become deafening. But for the race the last 15 laps were good but It was good job that vettel took 10 laps longer to pit because that was 34 laps of absoulte nothing before then

Very weird for lewis, because as i put above normally his mental state or car that lets him down but he as just not had the pace all weekend & as final sector has been his nemasis all weekend. Grosjean was completely at fault for me as he was never going to make the move on palmer stick. He already had all 4 wheels on the kerb when he tapped palmer to spin him around to then ram grosjean

Also interesting fact i worked out that providing its 20 race season in 2018 russian gp could be venue for the 1000th gp. As will be the 4th gp of 2019

Really pleased for Bottas today. We had 4 drivers with pretty equal equiptment and he showed on his day he can go out and beat the big names. Good stuff. Hopefully he'll get a bit more respect from media and internet forums alike now.

Last edited:
That was very impressive from Bottas and even after the race he did not go all cock a hoop about it but kept his head down and saw it as a building block to bigger things when he was interviewed. It was all very Finnish

That will not be his last victory and I think that has reduced Alonso's chances of landing a Mercedes drive significantly for 2018.

Suddenly Mercedes have a real problem to think about managing both drivers challenging for the title against Vettel now

------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Suddenly Mercedes have a real problem to think about managing both drivers challenging for the title against Vettel now

If Hamilton keeps on losing 0.6 seconds per lap then there will be no problem. However that does seem rather unlikely.

But the thing that does concern me is that Verstappen was in fifth place 60 seconds behind; that is roughly 1.2 seconds per lap. Making that gap up will take some very hard work indeed and this is Red Bull who are one of the richest teams in the field. The rest stand no chance whatsoever.

I seem to have missed out on something. Oh, yes.

Congratulations to Bottas on a well earned maiden victory, he had the drive to go into the lead at the start then built on it steadily bit by bit. He held on to the finish, making one minor error in the whole race. I am sure that there are more to come.

Barry Manilow!?

I think he means Simon Le Bon/Durran Durran. To be fair he's not wrinkly old and jaded like us so 80s music must not be high on F1Brits_90 priority list.

I was born in 1990. So might have got it confused. LOL:facepalm:

Wasnt barry manilow the original version of her name is rio & she dances on the sand" That the fans renamed "his name is rio & hes beached it in the sand" or have i got confused with copacobana

Or is it neither LOL

Last edited:
You have got confused with Copacobana (the song in which someone is brutally murdered, to the lasting cost of his girlfriend's sanity, and Barry Manilow is absolutely sodding delighted by the sound of it).

Back
Top Bottom