Pre-GP Quiz 2017 Monaco Grand Prix Quiz

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member
Welcome to the 2017 Monaco Grand Prix quiz and hopefully 10 questions to tickle the brain:

1. In 1979 the former 'Gazometer Turn' was renamed in honour of the founder of the Monaco Grand Prix. How is this corner now known?

Antony Noghes (no bonus points for including Virage)

2. Graham 'Mr Monaco' Hill took 5 wins at the circuit, all in the 1960's, but which driver took the highest number of poles but never won a Monaco GP, in the same time frame?

Jim Clark - 4 Poles.

3. In 1971 a French lady called Severine won Monaco's only Eurovision Song Contest to date, in 1972, which French driver took his only career F1 victory at Monaco?

Jean-Pierre Beltoise for BRM (also the final victory for the team)

4. In 1984, who was the former F1 Driver who, while acting as Clerk of the Course red flagged the race and what was the link to the race winning car that made this action controversial ??

Half a point for saying Jacky Ickx and another half point for knowing that Ickx took 4 Le Mans victories for Porsche which was the same engine that was in Prost's car

5. In 1992 Which British drivers failure to Qualify his Lotus for the Monaco GP meant that he was fired and replaced with Johnny Herbert?

Julian Bailey

6. At that same Grand Prix, which team managed to qualify a car for their one and only race start in the teams short history?

Andrea Moda - Somehow Roberto Moreno managed to drag the car on to the grid in 26th

7. Who could ever forget Olivier Panis' victory in 1996. It was the final victory for Ligier, the only victory for Panis and the first victory for which engine supplier?

Mugen - They would go on to take 3 more wins all with Jordan in the late 90's.

8. What rule change was made after the chaotic climax of the 2011 Monaco Grand Prix?

Teams were no longer allowed to change tyres during red flag periods.

9. 2014 was the last time that two French drivers finished in the top 10, who were they?

Half a point each for Jules Bianchi and Romain Grosjean

10. Fernando Alonso is going to miss the 2017 Monaco GP to take part in the Indy 500. Which driver used his brother to cover his seat to do the same in the 1984 season?

Brabham driver Teo Fabi who was covered by his brother Corrado Fabi for three races that season (Monaco, Canada and Dallas.

So there you go fact fans. I hope you enjoyed the quiz. Tot up your scores and post them below.

Last edited:
This quiz only served to highlight how little I know about the history and heritage of F1.

I scored 3. The other questions I still cant get right even though I have already seen the bloody answers.

2 shocking effort from me. On few i just didnt know but then on others id got the wrong year or team

But number 3 was shocked didnt see 1972 just saw frenchman take his only win a monaco thought panis :givemestrength:

Me and my dad who have watched F1 for 35 years scored zero. This is not the way to encourage new members. This is not a feel good quiz. I feel very strongly that quizzes are becoming far to nerd specific and are alienating 'normal' fans.

Don't get me wrong wrong i really appreciate the effort individual members make to create content but it needs to be more inclusive and not just for a niche of F1 fact nerds.

I have posted several 'easy' quizzes and they receive great comments and thanks. I've never seen seen such thanks from a 'severe' quiz.

Please consider the normals, when writing a quiz.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you feel that way. I try extremely hard to produce a balanced quiz that contains a range of questions to suit everyone.

A quiz is only easy if you know the answers.

I consider a par score on any quiz I write to be 5 and obviously this one is a little tougher than I imagined. Granted, knowing who Julian Bailey was is pushing peoples F1 knowledge but I'd hoped most people were aware that it was Jules Bianchi's only F1 points in 2014 hence he was one of the two Frenchman. 2011 and the absolute carnage at the end and the uproar about Vettel changing to fresh tyres therefore completely destroying the battle with Button who was on much newer tyres and all over the back of Vettel until the crash that brought out the red flag should also have been a well known event?

Luckily, due to a shortage of volunteers I have a further 5 opportunities to get things right. Starting with Baku where there is a wealth of F1 history to pick from and provide a challenging but balanced quiz.

I will take on-board your comments and will try even harder to ensure that more straightforward questions are included but in the meantime thank you for publicly criticising one of the few remaining things I really enjoy doing on this website.

cider_and_toast Par is 5? My average is about 1.5, but I'm nowhere near the nerd-level of some of you guys. 0 for this one too. I guessed Vergne and Grosjean for the two Frenchies, forgot about Bianchi, probably on account of his Italian-sounding name. If the question had been 'What French driver scored his only points in 2014?' I would have got it. I don't mind scoring 0 and don't read the forum for the quizzes, but for what it's worth I think Greenlantern101 has a point, but don't take it as public criticism, because a) I didn't read it like that at all, and b) your efforts are clearly appreciated in the post. Sorry to wade in...

Me and my dad who have watched F1 for 35 years scored zero. This is not the way to encourage new members. This is not a feel good quiz. I feel very strongly that quizzes are becoming far to nerd specific and are alienating 'normal' fans.

Don't get me wrong wrong i really appreciate the effort individual members make to create content but it needs to be more inclusive and not just for a niche of F1 fact nerds.

I have posted several 'easy' quizzes and they receive great comments and thanks. I've never seen seen such thanks from a 'severe' quiz.

Please consider the normals, when writing a quiz.
Stand by for my quiz for Silverstone... it might be for sub normals. LOL

Back
Top Bottom