Grand Prix 2017 Mexican Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Unlike most of the flow of border traffic F1 has crossed from Texas to Mexico. This Grand Prix has not been back for long but has already established as a firm favourite with fans on TV and at the track alike. The podium celebrations have always looked amazing and this year it should be even more spectuacular as this is likely to be the title decider. All Lewis Hamilton has to do is finished 5th or higher and 2017 is done and dusted. Even if he was off form it wouldn't be that difficult but in his current form I fully expect to see him on the top step, wearing a sombrero, telling us the Mexican fans are the best in the world and celebrating championship number 4.

Is a Lewis Hamilton win a forgone conclusion? Well I wouldn't bet against it. To be fair to Vettel he had a great race at Austin it was just that Hamilton and Mercedes were on another level. Its possible Hamilton will just coast it home in Mexico so as not to risk the title but it doesn't seem in his nature. Looking outside the top two and you have Kimi showing some form and Bottas dropping form and I can't see either of them winning. Both Red Bull drivers are on good form but Ricciardo will be starting from the back. I think both he and Verstappen will push the top two but I think a Red Bull win will only happen if we get something dramatic happening at the front. Max will of course be fired up after his penalty last week. This will either translate into amazing speed or a big accident.

The rest of the field are 40 to 50 seconds back and aren't really serious contenders for a podium that'll own a win. One to watch is of course home boy Perez. He's been out done by Ocon of late (even if he does moan that he's faster) but I expect his performance to go up a level because of the crowd. Round 2 of Renault wars will be on with Hulkenberg needing some serious catch up. Sainz performance in Texas made you wonder what Hulk and JoPal had been fannying around at all year. I expect to see the Reanult's dicing with the Force India's which is a step up. Another driver who will be up there is Felipe Massa as its contract time so he's found his form. KMag will continue his mission to annoy every driver on the grid and Torro Rosso have yet another different driver line up. Mclaren will be midfield and the commentary will tell you at least 3 times over the weekend that Alonso is driving the wheels off the thing and completely ignore Vandoorne pretty much matching times. The Saubers will also be there but still no one will care.

The question I want answering though is that if Hamilton claims the drivers title on Sunday, and with the Constructors already won, what will Hamilton do for the rest of the season? I think it will be one of 3 things.

a) A Nico Rosberg style shock retirement. Turns out his form has been so good and he's been so relaxed because he's already decided he was going.

b) Time for another holiday. He didn't need to be in London and he doesn't need to be at the final two Grand Prix. He goes off for an early break, Ocon takes the Merc drive for two races, Wehrlein the Force India, LeClerc the Sauber and everything is coming up Millhouse

c) He goes to the next two Grand Prix saying that both are two of his favourite tracks, that the next two races are for the fans, and he is really enjoying himself out there.

Sorry for the short write up (I'm moving house!) but I think I covered everything.

It would be nice to have a clean race between the new Renault and Toro Rosso driver pairings without penalties, screw-ups in qualifying or eccentric strategy calls spoiling it. You knew where you were in the old days..etc and so on. There's a lot to fight for still in the midfield, which is fortunate given Hamilton's rediscovered dominance.

On a circuit that's tough on brakes, stand by for Grosjean to boil his brake fluid and fry the airwaves.

i dont want to be a downer but only once this season would lewis not have clinched the world title as he has finished top 5 In every grand prix this season apart of Monaco when he qualified 14th finished 7th. because of the tyre warm up & blocked at monaco

a) A Nico Rosberg style shock retirement. Turns out his form has been so good and he's been so relaxed because he's already decided he was going.

b) Time for another holiday. He didn't need to be in London and he doesn't need to be at the final two Grand Prix. He goes off for an early break, Ocon takes the Merc drive for two races, Wehrlein the Force India, LeClerc the Sauber and everything is coming up Millhouse

c) He goes to the next two Grand Prix saying that both are two of his favourite tracks, that the next two races are for the fans, and he is really enjoying himself out there.

Sorry for the short write up (I'm moving house!) but I think I covered everything.

No way A or B are happening. Hamilton has been clear that he has been inspired and set himself a lofty goal for the rest of his career. While he hasn't said what it is, it is clear he is excited about breaking records and I believe his eyes are set on Schumacher's records. Given his age, and the number of races per season, he could set record for most world championships and most race wins just like he has for most pole positions.

Plus Hamilton loves Brazil. His helmet was designed by a Brazilian fan. Right now he's probably the most popular driver in Brazil. I think he will be going for 3 wins.

Finally let's not forget in two more races, Hamilton will win the record for most consecutive race starts thanks to his perfect attendance record.

Last edited:
Hamilton has said he has no desire to chase Schumacher's world championships record but the win record might be in sight.

To be honest guys I was saying it all slightly tongue-in-cheek. I know he'll drive the last two races really but for someone who doesn't really like being around the F1 community I wondered if he was tempted to take some time off.

Hamilton has said he has no desire to chase Schumacher's world championships record but the win record might be in sight.

To be honest guys I was saying it all slightly tongue-in-cheek. I know he'll drive the last two races really but for someone who doesn't really like being around the F1 community I wondered if he was tempted to take some time off.

I have no idea what you're talking about. He love being a the races. And he seems to really enjoy being at Mercedes now that Nico is gone. Just because he has a wider friend circle and is friendly with American celebrities doesn't make him less interested in F1.

I didn't say he is less interested in F1 - I said he himself has said he does not feel comfortable with the people of the F1 circus and likes to do his own thing. Hence his not turning up to London.

I Don't know why people are acting like I've shot the Pope. It's well known.

i dont see the problem RasputinLives yeah its well known. Lewis the last few years sees this as a job that he enjoys but he would never be with these people outside of this. but thats a good thing because he brings a different audience & celebrity to f1 paddock

I just watched the drivers press conference. You know when something is dull it's described as vanilla. Well, take away the vanilla flavour and you have the drivers press conference.

I just watched the drivers press conference. You know when something is dull it's described as vanilla. Well, take away the vanilla flavour and you have the drivers press conference.

You've really been a bundle of joy and enthusiasm the last few weeks! :D

Back
Top Bottom