Grand Prix 2017 Italian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Monza. Or as I like to think of it, ‘MONZAAAA!’. With more GPs hosted than anywhere else; the basic principle of speed defined in its iconic layout; and fans that provide a level of enthusiasm not seen at any other circuit, Monza could be said to transcend the sport itself. Will it live up to its billing this year?

Mercedes romped it in 2016, with Lewis missing out on a hat-trick of Monza victories after a poor start handed the lead to Rosberg, which he kept to the line. This must have been particularly galling for Lewis after having lit up the circuit on Saturday with a pole lap half a second quicker than his team-mate. But this year is different – Ferrari are leading the championship with a much stronger car. Then again, if Spa is anything to go by, Lewis has Ferrari in his pocket on a fast circuit.

Alonso last won here for Ferrari in 2010, the Tifosi will be clamouring for another home victory and this year represents the best chance since then by a long chalk. Vettel has the machinery and skill to give the fans what they want – maybe – and will be itching for a victory here for a third manufacturer, having got his maiden win here with Toro Rosso in 2008, then again with Red Bull in 2011 and 2013. Kimi has never won here, almost certainly due to gorging on gelato throughout the weekend, and unless there’s a problem for Lewis or Seb I can't see him winning – likewise Bottas. On paper it’ll be Mercedes and Ferrari filling the podium places, surprise surprise, but of course anything can happen.

Track changes: reports say that the Rettifilio chicane at the beginning of the lap will disappear, and the Curva Grande will be replaced with a slight right followed by a chicane. This will supposedly make the lap a second quicker, with lap times expected around 1.18. Gravel is returning to the Parabolica apparently, although whether this makes much difference remains to be seen. Jaques Villeneuve's overtake around the outside of Schumacher on the Parabolica may remain a one-off. However, overall these changes sound positive.

Edit: Rewind - it appears that these changes have not taken place this year after all tsk tsk slack reporting on my part. I found this inconclusive but fairly clear post on Reddit:

Monza's first chicane modification won't be ready for 2017 GP. 2016 configuration will be used. • r/formula1

Anyway, it’s a pleasure to not have the spectre of doom hanging over Monza, given the situation under Bernie. It really seems as if things have changed for the better. The new owners have made positive noises with regards to the ‘older’ circuits, and this is as steeped in history as it gets. Monza is safe for now, and a good thing too.

In his autobiography ‘Watching the Wheels', Damon Hill referred to Monza as the 'Circus Maximus’ of F1. We hope this charged atmosphere brings the best out of the drivers, and that translates into a spectacle for us. Expect Alonso to set the fastest lap on a fresh set of ultras with 2 laps to go, Massa to retire at the end of the race, and young Max to pull up with a car failure.

Even if it turns out not to be quite the race we want, it’ll still be entertaining to watch them blast through the Ascari chicane on the onboard camera – a personal favourite. Bring it on.

Last edited:
I've not heard anything but Hamilton having a pole record for the last two weeks! The "compliments and congratulation" has been half way to nauseating.

People were being nauseated by the compliments and congratulations that Lewis was receiving, in only after his second race in F1 at Bahrain.

So I'm not surprised by your feelings at all.

Lewywo4 - This is why though. Nothing gets peoples backs up more than hearing weeks and months of praise and awe directed at someone, followed swiftly by people complaining that the praise and awe has been insufficiently gracious.

If you decide anyone who is not a worshipper is a hater, you'll find a lot of haters. And you'll create a few too.

teabagyokel Are you talking about me?
I have been conjured by Sky F1 and Ted Fourty-Four Kravitz, my hate is divine, my hate is pure, my hate is true, I am hate, I have risen from hell to hate, to hate one person, to hate one driver, to hate Lewis Hamilton.

Well, according to someone here at least. LOL

On the other hand, I have been also called a troll, therefore, all of the above has to be questioned and that someone should make up his mind whether I am a troll or a hater, maybe I'm a hermaphrodite. :D

Last edited:
Lewywo4 - This is why though. Nothing gets peoples backs up more than hearing weeks and months of praise and awe directed at someone, followed swiftly by people complaining that the praise and awe has been insufficiently gracious.

If you decide anyone who is not a worshipper is a hater, you'll find a lot of haters. And you'll create a few too.

teabagyokel.....The hate that already exists their with some, and it doesn't take compliments and congratulations, that they hear to bring that out.

To think of a person who isn't a so-called worshipper, and then automatically considered to be a hater, is just completely unreasonable.

I wasn't. I don't think you're alone.

I don't hate Hamilton though, nor was I trolling and the subject of the discussion wasn't Hamilton but the pole record, however, some tried to change the subject of the discussion.
It's not Hamilton either, I can't blame him for being in a Mercedes, I can't blame him for being talented, it's solely SkyF1 who are, in parts, completely biased about some drivers which ruins the experience. If people hate Hamilton for Sky representing him as they do, they are clearly not capable of differentiating and should consider cancelling their Sky subscription..

i never got the people ranting over the airtime Lewis Hamilton gets on sky, admittedly if he was foreign you have a point. Lewis Hamilton is british, sky is broadcasted to a largely british audience. in present company i dont need to list his achievements as we all know he is highly successful over the last decade so should be expected that we get this.

just like how im sure following tv broadcasters do exact thing to the teams/drivers
Americans - Haas
Australians - Riccardo
Austria - Red Bull
Beligians - Vandoorne
Brazilian - Massa
Canadian - Stroll
Danish - Magussen
Dutch - Verstappen
Finnish - Bottas/Kimi
French - Renault /Ocon or Grosjean
Germans - Vettel
Italian - Ferrari
Japanese - Honda
Mexicans - Perez
Russians - Kyvat
Spanish - Alonso/Sainz
Swedish - Ericsson

F1Brits_90 I know that’s why I said, people that don’t like it should unsubscribe, if they don’t like SkyF1, but certainly shouldn’t hate Hamilton.
Here in Germany, I can confirm that it’s the same, especially the period between 2009 and 2014 was unbearable, so that I watched the races on mute. They were trash talking Alonso, Hamilton, Webber etc. and always finding excuses when Vettel made a mistake such as Canada 2011 or Malaysia 2012. That though is no reason to hate Vettel, just a reason to mute the ridiculous commentators.

Actually, you’d find ORF the Austrian channel broadcasting F1 is not so much a Red Bull focused channel, they are what I’d consider to be very neutral in comparison to the other channels I know. Wurz and Hausleitner are a knowledgable team and do a good job commentating.

Last edited:
just like how im sure following tv broadcasters do exact thing to the teams/drivers

I know that it is the rule rather than the exception but I would still contend that jingoism does not a great sports broadcast make. Plus I absolutely promise that a one-eyed media portrayal of a sportsman will create a knee-jerk opposite reaction.

F1Brits_90 I know that’s why I said, people that don’t like it should unsubscribe, if they don’t like SkyF1, but certainly shouldn’t hate Hamilton.
Here in Germany, I can confirm that it’s the same, especially the period between 2009 and 2014 was unbearable, so that I watched the races on mute. They were trash talking Alonso, Hamilton, Webber etc. and always finding excuses when Vettel made a mistake such as Canada 2011 or Malaysia 2012. That though is no reason to hate Vettel, just a reason to mute the ridiculous commentators.

Actually, you’d find ORF the Austrian channel broadcasting F1 is not so much a Red Bull focused channel, they are what I’d consider to be very neutral in comparison to the other channels I know. Wurz and Hausleitner are a knowledgable team and do a good job commentating.

interesting i always find other countries broadcasts fascinating but that boring part of me. surprised at Austria as i thought it would be red bull back to back.

Back
Top Bottom