Poll 2017 CTA Driver of the year

i never get the 2nd driver thing because apart from Ferrari they want 2 drivers going for the title to win constructors

I have to respectfully disagree with that. A number 1 and a number 2 driver in the top teams has been the normal situation in F1 as long as there has been racing for the exact reason of the constructors championship. The team do not want their own drivers risking fighting each other. The only times I can think of whilst I've been watching F1 where team mates have been truly allowed to fight for the title was Hamilton/Rosberg in 14, 15 16, Senna/Prost in 88 89, and Prost/Lauda in 84/85. In all these situations the teams had such superiority over the rest of the field that it's not mattered if they squabble. All those situations eventually ended in tears.

Other examples I can think of were Mansell/Piquet in 86 where their squabbling cost them the title and Vettel/Webber in 2010 which nearly cost then the title.

I think when Merc realised Ferrari could beat them this year they switch tactics. Which happens to be at the exact same time as Bottas 'form drop'. Form that suddenly picked up by the way as soon as Lewis was champion.

Last edited:
Did Bottas' form improve or did/does Hamilton's form drop after he won/wins a championship. It was the same pattern, when Rosberg was he teammate. Hamilton would win the championship and Rosberg would start beating him every weekend until the end of the season.

Grosjean was told to stop complaining over the radio by his boss

Isn't that more an indicator of the difference in the two teams' tolerance of moaning, rather than the amount each driver did? IMO McLaren continually bent over backwards to cater to Alonso, even when his moaning was castigating his own team.

Difference is everyone knows Alonso's one of the best but Grosjean has not got the same credentials to moan...usually about the brakes. It is as though he has never driven an F1 car before

Hamilton.

While Verstappen was interesting, he was beaten by Ricciardo. Vettel made too many mistakes and lost his cool. Alonso wasn't in the game enough for us to assess him. The rest are not worth discussing.

The Good:
1. Hamilton
2. Verstappen
3. Ricciardo
4. Alonso
5. Vettel​
The Worthy:
6. Hulkenberg
7. Bottas
8. Perez
9. Ocon
10. Sainz
11. Grosjean
12. Vandoorne​
The Bad:
13. Raikkonen
14. Wehrlein
15. Magnussen
16. Massa
17. Kvyat
18. Ericsson​
The Ugly:
19. Stroll
20. Palmer​

I really don't understand how people can rate Verstappen higher than Ricciardo, when the latter outscored him by approx 20%, roughly the same percentage that Hamilton outscored Bottas.

based on pure speed Verstappen trounced Ricciardo but then Daniel is an intelligent racer and can never be discounted especially when there is a chance to overtake

For what it's worth I Don't know how anyone can pick between Max and Danny over a season. They both had periods of being superior to the other. On his day no one can live with Max's raw speed and on his day no one can live with Ricciardo's race craft.

Seeing how these two pair up against each other next year is probably what I'm looking forward to the most about next season.

Vintly

Does the phrase "to finish first, you must first finish" hold any meaning for you?

Of course, but by that I take it to mean that you attribute Max's poor reliability to his driving style, and not to bad luck. That would explain it. If that's what you're slightly cryptically inferring, I disagree. Ricciardo's great, for a number two driver ;)

Back
Top Bottom