Grand Prix 2016 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After the excitement of Spain, with a new Grand Prix winner added to the list, we now move to the French Riviera for the jewel in F1's crown. It would appear that Ferrari's place as the next best team after Mercedes has been taken by Red Bull. I suspect we will see a reaction from the red team but do they have the capacity move back ahead?

Monaco hasn't been a happy hunting ground for Lewis Hamilton with only a single win back in his McLaren days. Nico Rosberg has won the last three races at what is, in truth, his home race. Sebastian Vettel has only won here once as well which shows what a lottery this race can sometimes be. Kimi Raikkonen hasn't won since 2005, also in a McLaren.

Mercedes will continue to be the class of the field but Monaco can be a great leveler where fractions of an inch can be the difference between winning and sitting in a pile of carbon fibre wondering what happened.

Max Verstappen must be on cloud nine, can he take this confidence in to the race around the principality? Daniel Ricciardo will have something to prove after his teenage teammate's achievement in Spain. The Toro Rosso boys will also have something to prove; Carlos Sainz that he deserves a drive in the senior team and Daniil Kvyat to show he should have kept in place at Red Bull.

I'm sure Force India will be hoping for some serious points, Williams will continue to be poor and will probably be even worse round the twists on Monaco. Haas will have their first experience of French sunshine, Renault will have something to prove at the closest thing to a home race for the French team. They could well be battling it out for the minor points places.

At the back Manor and Sauber will battle for the wooden spoon. Sauber look to be working hard to ensure they get this as they continue struggle financially. Manor, at least in Wehrlein's hands, hasn't look too bad given their budget. I wonder if Haryanto will have to ask for a special dispensation as he hasn't got within the 107% time.

Fun in the sun? Monaco is always more exciting in the wet, I wonder if we will see a sprinkling of rain just to spice things up?

Last edited:
Indeed but trouble is, this being Monaco, if one or two of the leaders succumb to pressure and make a mistake in the first lap, they're quite like likely to create a few innocent casualties among those following immediately behind. :)

What we need is rain and a Hamilton win and Red Bull 2 and 3 with a Rosberg having an engine problem.....nice and spicy for the rest of the year. If it's the other way around Rosberg will just pick up wins and seconds and there will be no fight for the season. As Ferrari seem to have failed us as a realistic challenger we need Red Bull to step up and at least Nico and Lewis to be fighting it out for the main prize at seasons end to keep the interest up.

I would say that was proof for now. Doubt it'll be the case come end of the season.

Also. It's Monaco. I would say it was proper proof if they'd done it in Austria or Canada.

Last edited:
I would say that was proof for now. Doubt it'll be the case come end of the season.

Also. It's Monaco. I would say it was proper proof if they'd done it in Austria or Canada.

I think they would've during Canada. But by then obviously they'll make a 2nd engine or give it too max on fairness

Well Don't be surprised if the main headlines and talk of the paddock come Sunday is how Max kept pace with Riccardo despite having an 'old' engine.

Bill Boddy and vintly good points and ones I'd completely forgotten about.

I guess what I was trying to say (whilst being tactful) is that Hamilton does not have the best track record when it comes to results at Monaco. There always appears to be something going wrong whether it is self inflicted or the fault of others.

(I was trying to say that whilst avoiding inviting a complete run down of why none of these things were Hamilton's fault if I'm honest)

I get it RasputinLives, and I was being facetious about the Zonda incident.

I find 'luck' a fascinating concept, possibly warranting it's own thread (if not there already, apologies for this diversion if so). 'Fortune favours the brave'; 'you make your own luck'; and Napoleon's famous quote 'I know he's a good general, but is he lucky?' all intrigue me. As someone who thinks of themselves as firmly rooted in science and rationale, 'luck;' stands out as an irrational yet palpably present factor in peoples' lives. Some people just seem to be unlucky, and vice versa.

There is truth and logic to the phrase 'fortune favours the brave', as it implies that if you try, you have more chance of succeeding than if you don't (obvs). But the line between bravery and foolhardiness is so thin, especially round the streets of the Monaco GP. Senna's record at Monaco, plus his legendary Toleman drive where he was catching Prost and deprived of another win, highlighted his immense innate skill. His mystical 'in the zone' stuff was his way of describing that skill. And his DNF when miles ahead of Prost another year showed up the fine line between bravery and foolhardiness. Yadda yadda.

I know he's a good driver, but is he lucky? Does Hammy need some luck, no – he has the skill to win from the front. Would luck help? Of course. Does luck exist? You betcha.

Many years ago vintly the legendary base ball player Babe Ruth was asked by a reporter if he was "right" for the World Series which was just starting. He replied:

"I'd rather be lucky than right".

Gary Player, one of the greatest golfers ever, had a reputation for being lucky with the way he got out if problems and always seeming to have the "rub of the green". When asked about this by a reporter he replied:

"Yes, i am lucky and do you know what, the more I practice the luckier I get"..

CjXxV64UgAAj_ua.jpg

Ideal laps time is 1:15.319.
I.e. Hamilton S3 is +0.318.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom