Grand Prix 2016 European Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

As if to highlight the madness of a 21 race calendar, no sooner have the champagne bubbles dried on the Montreal podium and every team will be frantically packing to have their gear sent 5552 miles around the world to Baku in Azerbaijan. This must be without doubt the longest distance between back to back races in F1 history.

Azerbaijan is located in the Transcaucasia region between south west Asia and south eastern Europe. With a population of 10 million people it has a high rate of economic development and ranks on par with many European countries for human development, literacy and living standards. Baku is the capital of Azerbaijan, sitting on the Caspian sea is a UNESCO world heritage site. A city that has grown through the discovery of oil, it is now home to over a fifth of the population of the country.

Quite how this race came to be given the European Grand Prix tag, I'm not quite sure. Azerbaijan did win the 2011 Eurovision song contest so this may have had something to do with it but we'll never now. If that is the case, we may expect the European GP tag to be awarded to Australia at some point in the future.

The name 'Grand Prix of Europe' was given to races as an honorific title originating in 1925 and from 1950 onward, specifically in Formula 1. That was until 1983 when, at the 11th hour, Bernie was once again let down by the organising team of the New York Grand Prix. Brands Hatch circuit were able to step in with 3 months notice and thus that years calendar contained the first 'stand alone' GP of Europe. The event itself was deemed a major success and so the decision was made to continue with an event given that title. For 84 the race moved to a re-designed Nurburgring before moving back to Brands Hatch in 85 for the last but one F1 race to be held there. For a short while, Europe's once again dropped from the schedule to be replaced by Hungary. It then reappeared to be held at a rain soaked Donington park in 1994. Moving between Jerez, the Nurburgring and finally the much loathed Valencia, the race has finally ended up at Baku for this season. What makes this unusual is that normally the European GP title was given to the second race to be held in a country in a calendar year.

The track itself at 6km long is the second longest of the season after Spa. It winds its way through the old town of Baku and through some insanely narrow sections. It also contains a 2.2km straight before the start finish line. Everyone's favourite circuit designer Herman Tilke has been behind the pencil on this project. Supposedly designed to be the fastest street circuit in the world, what the lap times will be like here are anyone's guess. Expect the grip to be non existent for the best part of the weekend until the cars lay some rubber into the track. I would imagine there will be plenty of scenes of damaged carbon fibre, especially on Friday.

As for the teams, it looks like this is going to be a power circuit. Judging by their respective performances in Canada, Mercedes should have the advantage here but it's clear that Ferrari and Red Bull are now hot on their heels. With Bottas also putting in a decent shift at Montreal and the Mercedes engine in the back of his Williams, a fourth team enters the mix when it comes to belting down that insanely long straight. Nimble handling will be required around the narrow twist section between turns 5 and 13 so a well balanced car could make up some ground here.

It's almost impossible to predict anything beyond that. As I said above, the low level of initial grip, the new circuit layout and the fact that Canada has shown that the Mercedes lead is no longer as totally dominant as it once was, could see an almighty dust up or it could lead to a snooze-fest. For those who don't pay Murdoch's sport viewing ransom, the race will be shown live on C4. I'm not sure about everyone else but I'm actually looking forward to it.

There did appear to be a fault with Hamilton's car so I think in that scenario the team radio should be allowed especially given he spent so much of the race with warning lights which would be a distraction and therefore potential safety issue.

Why the rule extends to pit boards is beyond me though.

racecub OK so they were in the wrong mode but I'm still confused. Firstly you said Rosberg was in the wrong mode because he put himself in the wrong mode. When did he do that? Also hasn't Merc put them both in the wrong mode off the start? Secondly why was it more complex for Hamilton than Rosberg?

All this engine mode stuff is very confusing.

Just read an article on Hamilton's weekend on Autosport and It's as racecub described it. Hamilton started in the faulty mode while Rosberg switched into it later in the race. The initial mode setting on Hamilton's var was apparently due to the team not having a clean enough Friday to correctly set up the ERS mode settings for Sunday. As to why Rosberg started in a different, and ultimately correct mode, it does not say.

That's completely different to what Toto said on Sky after the race. Merc really do muddy the waters sometimes Don't they?

Any idea how much Hamilton's pace was effected by all of this?

I not sure why all of this has lead to people questioning the radio ban. Surely if there is a radio ban then teams should be making the engine mode systems simpler. Maybe that's too logical.

It is different to what Toto said but Sky and Autosport are reporting as racecub has said it.

Can't fault your last paragraph RasputinLives but that will take time whereas changing the radio rules is a much quicker fix.

Teams are allowed to tell drivers to retire, they aren't figuring that out themselves, I don't see the difference with a non driver initiated technical fault.

....he initial mode setting on Hamilton's var was apparently due to the team not having a clean enough Friday to correctly set up the ERS mode settings for Sunday. .....

They had three hours running on Friday plus another one on Saturday. If they cannot fix what appears to be a known glitch
to which the answer is known what the hell were they doing? Another way of looking at it is to say that they had at the very least twelve hours on Friday and four hours of non-running time on Saturday to either install a fix or inform both drivers of the situation.

Bill Boddy according to Toto they wasted virtually all of Friday sorting out an issue with the cars brakes. This enforced change in turn caused much of Hamilton's issues on Saturday.

It all smacks of bull plop. If Hamilton's, and to some extent Rosberg's, car had so many issues, Hamilton wouldn't have topped the time sheets in all 3 practice sessions and Rosberg wouldn't have disappeared into the sunset on raceday.

Is panic starting to settle in at Mercedes due to the increase in pressure from their rivals? Quite possibly. Are their rivals failing to grasp the opportunity to increase the pressure? Absolutely.

The various statements from Toto and the team surrounding the number of issues that Mercedes had this weekend. When all pieced together they don't reflect the actual performance of the car in the first 3 sessions and Rosberg's performance in qualifying and the race. As you said though KekeTheKing it's the only talking point from a dull weekend.

Having watched the practice sessions (and finding them more entertaining than the race itself) it was very deceiving to see Hamilton head all 3 practices. They were by and large a total mess for him as he repeatedly locked up and bailed out down escape roads. How this prevented his side of the garage from identifying STRAT mode errors I do not know though.

And furthermore, a look at the current Engine Component table makes it hard to believe Hamilton and Rosberg's PU's are being overseen by the same people.

Just read an article on Hamilton's weekend on Autosport and It's as racecub described it. Hamilton started in the faulty mode while Rosberg switched into it later in the race. The initial mode setting on Hamilton's var was apparently due to the team not having a clean enough Friday to correctly set up the ERS mode settings for Sunday. As to why Rosberg started in a different, and ultimately correct mode, it does not say.

This all sounds weird. Some thoughts:
1) I guess Hamilton and Rosberg could have been indifferent strat modes at the start due to their different starting grid positions. I guess Mercedes may have different ERS mappings defined optimilized for running in clean air at the head of the pack, and for running in traffic.

2) Given that Baku is a new track, they will not have had much data prior to Friday. All of this optimilisation would have to be done based on Friday's data. First priority would have been optimizing the settings for clear running (because that is what the Mercs do most of the time anyway). With all the exploring of escape roads going on on Friday, they may not have gathered enough data to completely figure out the mappings for their "traffic" STRAT modes, and would have had to guess some of the details. Hence the mode Hamilton started in may not have been fully optimized and produced some errors because of mismatch between its assumptions and reality (e.g. causing derating on some piece of the track where it shouldn't). This would be inline with the claim that the "wrong setting" cost Hamilton only 0.2 sec per lap.

(Then again this may be completely wrong.)

Just to pick up the issue that Hamilton felt it was "unsafe" to try and adjust the mode settings whilst racing, he could always have gone in to the pits and let the engineers sort it out. If he had a problem with the brakes he would have pitted, what's the difference with a problem on the engine mode settings.

Ditto Kimi, Fernando (and his "space ship" bollocks) or any other driver who doesn't know how to adjust the car via the steering wheel. Or they could ask for all the dials and knobs to be taken off and just use their right boot to make the thing go faster and slower.

For me that was the most disappointing race of the season, because in practice & qualifying I really liking the track reminded me of the old hockenheim with high speed/long straights & the fantastic races in gp2 promised so much & yet for some reason F1 delivered so little. I dont think it helped the race that rosberg had a great start so never was a battle for the lead as once he taken the lead this was as purpose built for a Mercedes as you have.

DRS on start/finish straight was bad idea. Because the slipstream should be enough along the 2.1km straight. & DRS from T2 > T3 would've been enough Their was some good action down the field perez was outstanding as much as id love it. The chances of him staying at force india must be getting are slimmer by the GP. Because Ferrari must be sniffing after he thrashed kimi in "inferior" machinery all weekend

But on different point thinking long term after the disappointing European GP yesterday their is for me a worrying trends starting because GP2 is becoming highlight of my racing weekend above. because I look forward to it more as out the last 2 rounds monaco feature & European sprint/feature. Were action packed kept me gripped all the way.

Especially in sprint race where we a last lap battle for the lead between 18th & 8th on the grid

I think yesterday's race showed Rosberg more calculated and analytical approach coming out on top against Hamilton's all out driving . Its these situations where the much more calmer Rosberg might pay dividends

Back
Top Bottom