Grand Prix 2016 European Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

As if to highlight the madness of a 21 race calendar, no sooner have the champagne bubbles dried on the Montreal podium and every team will be frantically packing to have their gear sent 5552 miles around the world to Baku in Azerbaijan. This must be without doubt the longest distance between back to back races in F1 history.

Azerbaijan is located in the Transcaucasia region between south west Asia and south eastern Europe. With a population of 10 million people it has a high rate of economic development and ranks on par with many European countries for human development, literacy and living standards. Baku is the capital of Azerbaijan, sitting on the Caspian sea is a UNESCO world heritage site. A city that has grown through the discovery of oil, it is now home to over a fifth of the population of the country.

Quite how this race came to be given the European Grand Prix tag, I'm not quite sure. Azerbaijan did win the 2011 Eurovision song contest so this may have had something to do with it but we'll never now. If that is the case, we may expect the European GP tag to be awarded to Australia at some point in the future.

The name 'Grand Prix of Europe' was given to races as an honorific title originating in 1925 and from 1950 onward, specifically in Formula 1. That was until 1983 when, at the 11th hour, Bernie was once again let down by the organising team of the New York Grand Prix. Brands Hatch circuit were able to step in with 3 months notice and thus that years calendar contained the first 'stand alone' GP of Europe. The event itself was deemed a major success and so the decision was made to continue with an event given that title. For 84 the race moved to a re-designed Nurburgring before moving back to Brands Hatch in 85 for the last but one F1 race to be held there. For a short while, Europe's once again dropped from the schedule to be replaced by Hungary. It then reappeared to be held at a rain soaked Donington park in 1994. Moving between Jerez, the Nurburgring and finally the much loathed Valencia, the race has finally ended up at Baku for this season. What makes this unusual is that normally the European GP title was given to the second race to be held in a country in a calendar year.

The track itself at 6km long is the second longest of the season after Spa. It winds its way through the old town of Baku and through some insanely narrow sections. It also contains a 2.2km straight before the start finish line. Everyone's favourite circuit designer Herman Tilke has been behind the pencil on this project. Supposedly designed to be the fastest street circuit in the world, what the lap times will be like here are anyone's guess. Expect the grip to be non existent for the best part of the weekend until the cars lay some rubber into the track. I would imagine there will be plenty of scenes of damaged carbon fibre, especially on Friday.

As for the teams, it looks like this is going to be a power circuit. Judging by their respective performances in Canada, Mercedes should have the advantage here but it's clear that Ferrari and Red Bull are now hot on their heels. With Bottas also putting in a decent shift at Montreal and the Mercedes engine in the back of his Williams, a fourth team enters the mix when it comes to belting down that insanely long straight. Nimble handling will be required around the narrow twist section between turns 5 and 13 so a well balanced car could make up some ground here.

It's almost impossible to predict anything beyond that. As I said above, the low level of initial grip, the new circuit layout and the fact that Canada has shown that the Mercedes lead is no longer as totally dominant as it once was, could see an almighty dust up or it could lead to a snooze-fest. For those who don't pay Murdoch's sport viewing ransom, the race will be shown live on C4. I'm not sure about everyone else but I'm actually looking forward to it.

The rules are simple, they are allowed to replace flat spotted tyres on safety grounds, fault is not a factor. Why are you irritated by Hamilton hoping he doesn't get caught up in someone else's mistake, all the drivers starting back in the field will be hoping the same. He wasn't claiming he would stay mistake free though I'm sure he'll try, he wants points.

Last edited:
Talking of the red flag being throw right after Rosberg finished his lap. Did anyone else hear the Force India mechanic say 'that's cheating' just after it happened.

I was half expecting a protest, but I guess they like having Mercedes engines;)

The Artist..... helps if you complete the quote rather than take a part of it which changes the context to suit your agenda.

What Hamilton actually said
"There's a new opportunity tomorrow, we've got a good car with good pace so provided we can not get caught up in anyone else's mistakes or make mistakes myself then we should be able to get some good points tomorrow."

this tyre that was to be replaced has to be appartantly of the same age, ive heard from the journalists on twitter. although this is not special treatment its in the f1 rule

lewis -.jpg

The grammar nazi in me wants to change that last sentence to:

"...with which tyres they should be replaced."

You do not end a sentence with a preposition! :bangfists:

The Artist..... helps if you complete the quote rather than take a part of it which changes the context to suit your agenda.

I was only talking about the part of the quote that I had seen on the BBC... No agenda

I have long believed that if a driver damages his car (or tyres) during qualifying, if they want it repaired, the driver should start from the pitlane.

There have been ridiculous situations, such as Singapore 2009 when Barrichello set 5th fastest time, then crashed, stopping anyone else going quicker, but then had a complete car rebuild before the race! Similarly Rosberg at Monaco, but to a less extreme case.

I can't see a lot of overtaking on this circuit. Hamilton just may have shot himself in the foot.

Having watched the support race I think the complete opposite. Drivers are getting an unbelievable tow down the long straight section and that combined with the DRS mean most cars will fly by those in front possibly even getting two or 3 places at a time. Especially if you have a Merc engine.

That Red Bull is going to get eaten alive if it's not following another car and I predict Hamilton to be at least 3rd by lap two.

Could be that track position is not the advantage it usually is and that we're looking at at an indie oval style race of making sure you make you move to the front as late as possible. Between the Mercs and possibly Perez anyways.

vintly i'd go further and state that there will be at least 4 cars eliminated on either the first lap, or the first corner at the beginning of the second lap. That first corner- when drivers are doing a complete deceleration is going to be a nightmare, whilst they are all together!

OK of we're going bold predictions:

Verstappen in the wall

Manor score a point

Ferrari will try a team drafting tactic on the straights after both cars hit the front off the start with the lead swapping every lap. It'll work for a while but then they'll mess it up.

Well, I think that Baku sounds like a place from Star Wars,and to confirm my belief, the national anthem sounded like the imperial march!!!

Back
Top Bottom