Grand Prix 2015 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so with the result of the Russian Grand Prix in and Hamilton taking maximum points with his team mate failing to score, the season moves from early evening into sunset as we head into the next race. Leading the championship by 66 points with 100 left to play for there is a chance that Hamilton could be packing his bags after the race and trying to find space for a World Champion Drivers trophy in among the hand luggage.

All this could take place among the stetson wearing f1 fans down there in the heart of Texas. I think it's reasonable to say that since the re-launch of the US GP at Austin just a few years ago, the race has cemented it's position as a popular track among fans and drivers. Finally, after many false starts it seems that the USA has an F1 track that lives up to the hype. That after many years of hoping that the magic of Indy would rub off (it didn't), any number of 90 degree cornered tracks would work (they didn't) or that the high rollers would really get behind a race in a car park (they didn't either).

The first corner, unlike so many in F1, actually has a number of lines that can be taken which opens up a number of overtaking options. This is followed by the down hill run of sweeping left and right handers. Carrying as much speed as possible out of turn one will ensure a great run throgh these corners. Running anti-clockwise unlike almost every other track in the season, the drivers are faced with a different physical challenge. It really looks like a track that rewards great driving.

It's no suprise to see that of the last 3 US races, Hamilton has won 2 and Vettel 1. With these two now first and second in the championship and at a track they both clearly run well at (Vettel set the first pole here in 2012) could it be possible that we may finally see an on track battle between the two? Of course, Rosberg will want to get right in there and keep is very slim hopes of the title alive.

Down the grid, there is really nice little battle between Kimi and the two Williams drivers for the 4th spot in the championship. Only 14 points seperate the 3 of them and, with Mercedes Constructors title sewn up, could it be possible that the Williams team suddenly find their engines have a little more 'umph'?

The two Dan's at Red Bull are only three points apart and with questions over the future of Red Bull they must be keen to come out on top. It's going to be a hard fight all the way with Ricciardo, who promised so much last season, finding himself behind Kvyat in a situation that few predicted at the start of the season.

Right at the back, is there enough time left in the season and enough performance in the car for McLaren to over haul Sauber and finish a mighty 8th in the Constructors? With a double points finish in Russia have they now found some realiability?

It's a rare thing these days to actually look forward to certain races. I don't know about you but I actually do look forward to the US GP. As places to win a world title go, it's a hell of a lot better than Abu Dhabi. At least Hamilton get's to spray real Champer's in the USA.

Last edited:
Done some numbers, thought I would share.

screenshot.18.jpg

So basically Lewis needs 27 points from the last 4 races.

Last edited:
It would take divine intervention for Lewis not to win the WDC. Lewis clinching it here would obviously take some air out of Mexico, Brazil, and Abu Dhabi, but we haven't really had any WDC drama since around the midway point.

I'm not sure the season would be less exciting if Lewis clinched it in Austin. It may allow Lewis or Mercedes to take bigger risks, which could lead to drama, or even as cider_and_toast suggested, Williams could get a big power boost.

You beat me to it Bro!
They were all but etching his name on the trophy in 2007, but I think there were far more political reasons going on then.
A closer contest would have been good but stranger things have happened...

Last year Hamilton put a ballsy move on Rosberg and won and he had to overtake Vettel to win in 2012 the race.

Its a circuit he excels at so its ominous for the others

I'm not sure the season would be less exciting if Lewis clinched it in Austin. It may allow Lewis or Mercedes to take bigger risks, which could lead to drama, or even as cider_and_toast suggested, Williams could get a big power boost.
Ah, risks and drama! Now those would have been novel approaches anywhere in F1 this year. :tumbleweed:
Instead we've had tyre management, fuel management and Lotus/RBR/McLaren mis-management. :sleeping:

The only thing I'm looking forward to, is the end of another dire season with virtually Zero redeeming features.

Congrats to LH for being the driver who will win (presumptive? don't think so!) another 2-horse race, which is as richly deserved as for any other F1 World Champion because, in the final reckoning, it is only the quantity of points that matter.

It is almost like some of these teams are scared of failure. They'd rather have 6th or 7th place on lockdown than swing for the podium with the possibility of striking out wildly.

A Lewis, Rosberg, Vettel result would give Lewis the title.

It sounds awfully good to me, and I hope that it happens. If Lewis should secure the championship at Austin, there still is a contest for second place between Nico and Sebastian. What should Lewis then do, to help Nico take second place in the WDC?

If Hamilton does indeed secure the title in Austin, its the first time since 1982 that the title was secured in the United States

If I recall the first race at CotA was half decent and the second race was a bit crap. I wonder what we will get this time around. I held out little hope for Russia and it surprised me, I shall be the official doom monger for Austin and predict a Noah race with all the teams coming in 2 x 2.

FB I thought there has been 3 races at Austin

First race - Vettel led and Hamilton followed but could not pass. It was only when they came up against a backmarker that Hamilton was able to pull off a pass much to the chagrin of Vettel who was annoyed that the backmarker did not get out of the way early

Behind Alonso was 3rd I remember but only after Massa had to take a penalty for changing the gearbox to allow him to start on the clean side of the track

Button was 12th I think and fought back to 5th I remember

Second race - Vettel won and I did not remember it well because I think the title was over

Third race - Hamilton threw one down the inside of Rosberg and won the race from there

This is my favorite circuit. I am biased because I drove 12 laps of this circuit in an M6 a couple of years ago during BMW Track Day. Its an incredible track to drive with the blind apex and turns 3-6 (the Ss), turns 7-9 a quite technical and very rewarding when you get them right, the epic long straight with the DRS zone, and great places to pass in the third sector.

I do like this circuit for once a herman tilke circuit that we like as some have been awful . the 1st sector is one of best in formula 1

But I wonder whether that have Hungary & more specifically the shunt riccardo on exit of T1 was the turning point of the championship (if we take 3 dnf in 4 races out of the place) because in blink of an eye he went from 2pt lead to 20pt deficit which he never recovered

Back
Top Bottom