Grand Prix 2015 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so with the result of the Russian Grand Prix in and Hamilton taking maximum points with his team mate failing to score, the season moves from early evening into sunset as we head into the next race. Leading the championship by 66 points with 100 left to play for there is a chance that Hamilton could be packing his bags after the race and trying to find space for a World Champion Drivers trophy in among the hand luggage.

All this could take place among the stetson wearing f1 fans down there in the heart of Texas. I think it's reasonable to say that since the re-launch of the US GP at Austin just a few years ago, the race has cemented it's position as a popular track among fans and drivers. Finally, after many false starts it seems that the USA has an F1 track that lives up to the hype. That after many years of hoping that the magic of Indy would rub off (it didn't), any number of 90 degree cornered tracks would work (they didn't) or that the high rollers would really get behind a race in a car park (they didn't either).

The first corner, unlike so many in F1, actually has a number of lines that can be taken which opens up a number of overtaking options. This is followed by the down hill run of sweeping left and right handers. Carrying as much speed as possible out of turn one will ensure a great run throgh these corners. Running anti-clockwise unlike almost every other track in the season, the drivers are faced with a different physical challenge. It really looks like a track that rewards great driving.

It's no suprise to see that of the last 3 US races, Hamilton has won 2 and Vettel 1. With these two now first and second in the championship and at a track they both clearly run well at (Vettel set the first pole here in 2012) could it be possible that we may finally see an on track battle between the two? Of course, Rosberg will want to get right in there and keep is very slim hopes of the title alive.

Down the grid, there is really nice little battle between Kimi and the two Williams drivers for the 4th spot in the championship. Only 14 points seperate the 3 of them and, with Mercedes Constructors title sewn up, could it be possible that the Williams team suddenly find their engines have a little more 'umph'?

The two Dan's at Red Bull are only three points apart and with questions over the future of Red Bull they must be keen to come out on top. It's going to be a hard fight all the way with Ricciardo, who promised so much last season, finding himself behind Kvyat in a situation that few predicted at the start of the season.

Right at the back, is there enough time left in the season and enough performance in the car for McLaren to over haul Sauber and finish a mighty 8th in the Constructors? With a double points finish in Russia have they now found some realiability?

It's a rare thing these days to actually look forward to certain races. I don't know about you but I actually do look forward to the US GP. As places to win a world title go, it's a hell of a lot better than Abu Dhabi. At least Hamilton get's to spray real Champer's in the USA.

Last edited:
Very interesting that they have mentioned Monza 2008 with the amount of rain and things happening. It would be an interesting weekend if we could just a get a similar result. Whether it's Vettel winning or Toro Rosso winning ...

I presume there is no point in watching FP2 then...

possibly if just to see ted kravitz towards as the storm reintensified, trying his best to hold onto his umbrella & so he didnt go flying down the car park like mary poppins LOL:snigger:

but on a serious point what happens if this FP2 rain turns up on saturday & sunday or worse (as some people have said)

usa 3.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the grid by number order if we don't get qualifying but somehow do get the race even though I get the idea that Lewis really ought to be on pole being as he owns the number 1 this season...? But he did choose 44 so it's more interesting for him to start 17th
Vettel would obviously be 12th and Kimi 14th with penalties added etc
CSCQyUhXIAAZm85.png

Last edited:
British GP had some interesting wet conditions, but the lack of wet races recently has been frustrating. However you can't fault anybody in charge if they abandon this one. The weather in Texas/Mexico is reaching historic levels right now. This is the strongest East-bound Pacific hurricane in all of recorded history.

To be brutally honest, it was quite enjoyable - nearly an hour, including 10 minutes of an 'injury time-out' flew by, and I think I might be hooked - but have no idea who the Johnson and Anderson guys were, or how good they are in the global scheme of tennis stuff?
Are they good? Are they bad? Is this Vienna (Aww, Vienna!) tournament one of the biggies? Do the girls get to play as well?:embarrassed:

Anyway; I'm now missing the bore-fest in OOOO-S-A to write this, and frankly couldn't give a ****!
Must get several more of these :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:to keep me awake now
Johnson is average, Kevin Anderson is pretty good he is ranked 11th in the world. He has a massive serve and a good backhand return. He recently knocked Andy Murray out of the US Open and took Djokovic to 5 sets at Wimbledon.
Vienna is a small tournament, not important to the top players.

You might like watching the World tour final which is November 16 - 22, that is a very big tournament. Only the top 8 players in the world are allowed to compete so the quality of every match is really high.

Back to F1 I have just seen the ferrari penalties, it all seems to be lining up well for Mr.Hamilton.

British GP had some interesting wet conditions, but the lack of wet races recently has been frustrating. However you can't fault anybody in charge if they abandon this one. The weather in Texas/Mexico is reaching historic levels right now. This is the strongest East-bound Pacific hurricane in all of recorded history.

Recently Hamilton said that dry races are more fun for the fans. Though I'm surprised after his support for changing the weekend format. Mercedes dominance is getting to everyone. :p

I expect BE is dreaming of dollars going up in smoke. Or will he fine the owners of the track if the race gets cancelled ?

Surely the fairest way to set grid if qualifying cant take place any time this weekend or in future is on drivers points standings because then there's no complaints about bad luck etc because they earned it over performances in previous 15 races. So would be

Hamilton Vettel
Rosberg Raikkonen
BottasMassa
Kvyat Ricciardo
Perez Grosjean
Hulkenberg Verstappen
Nasr Maldonado
Sainz Alonso
Ericsson Button
Stevens Rossi

I do like this circuit for once a herman tilke circuit that we like as some have been awful . the 1st sector is one of best in formula 1

But I wonder whether that have Hungary & more specifically the shunt riccardo on exit of T1 was the turning point of the championship (if we take 3 dnf in 4 races out of the place) because in blink of an eye he went from 2pt lead to 20pt deficit which he never recovered

As a driver, the first sector is absolute nirvana. Most of the most enjoyable drives of my life, up there with some of the less trafficked swiss alpine passes.

Surely the fairest way to set grid if qualifying cant take place any time this weekend or in future is on drivers points standings because then there's no complaints about bad luck etc because they earned it over performances in previous 15 races. So would be

Hamilton Vettel
Rosberg Raikkonen
BottasMassa
Kvyat Ricciardo
Perez Grosjean
Hulkenberg Verstappen
Nasr Maldonado
Sainz Alonso
Ericsson Button
Stevens Rossi

Agree

Back