Grand Prix 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So after a fairly average season opener the mighty F1 circus roars on to Sepang in Malaysia to write its second chapter where it will hope the main headlines will be made on the track and not off it like in Melbourne. It will also hope for a full grid of 20 cars and for no one to break down on the way to the grid. There is no question that the mighty Merc will be favourite to take a result. When you've got the best car being driven to perfection its hard not to tip them for a win. Already though you have to be concerned about Nico Rosbergs sporting mental state as he was was not only thoroughly beaten by Hamilton on the track but then also took a thrashing from Vettel in the press conference. Whilst we're pretty sure he'll remember to mention Merc's Malaysian backers on the podium(remember last year?) you have to hope for his sake its from the top spot in order to stop the rot that set in about half way through the 2014 season.

Sepang has actually been a stop on the F1 calendar since 1999 with the first race win being gifted to Eddie Irvine by Michael Schumacher. Young Max Verstappen will probably have to spend the next two weeks hearing stories from his dad Jos about how in 2001 in the rain he went from 18th to 6th off the start line in an Arrows and even lead the race at one point before the track became dry again and despite some brave defending he slipped back down to 7th. Speaking of rain, its a fact that Malaysia is notorious for it and I severely doubt will have a weekend without any arriving at all even if they have moved the start time forward to avoid the monsoons. What that will do to the current pecking order at the moment I have no idea but I doubt it will throw Hamilton off course with his current form. Some of the laps he was doing in Australia were sublime to the point of being ridiculous.

In terms of a challenge to Mercedes then all eyes are on Ferrari. Their race pace was a lot better than expected and whilst still a way off you suspect from Vettel's obvious confidence and swagger at the moment that the car feels good and he expects it to get better. He has certainly show himself to be in predator mode and I expect his plan is to be sitting there on Mercedes shoulder in order to take advantage of any error that might creep in. A few digs in the press conference in order to throw them off kilter is a cheeky tactic but not one unheard of. It reminded me very much of 1993 when Prost was complaining about all the car problems he had with his Williams and Senna asked him if he'd like to swap cars for the next race. Kimi has very fond memories of ice cream at Malaysia and I'm sure we'll have some form of t-shirt to remind us all about it going off this year. It was good to see Raikkonen showing the speed we know he has in the first race but now we need him to find some luck from somewhere in order for him to get into the race. Kimi always comes to life when he has a good car and that seems to be the case here. I also think he genuinely gets on with his teammate for a change and I fully expect him to be at the very least sat on Vettel's bumper in a straight race.

The other team people will look at to challenge is Williams who do look in pretty good shape. I still have my doubts whether they will actually give Mercedes a proper race though as due to the involvement of Toto Wolff in both teams I do wonder if Merc and Williams have a Red Bull/Torro Rosso type relationship at current. I do hope I'm wrong and if anyone is going to show me I'm wrong then its probably Bottas. Unfortunately we were robbed of the chance to see what he would do in round 1 due to his back problem. As anyone sporting or not will tell you back problems don't go away quickly so I suspect we'll either not see him at Malysia or we'll see him slightly off form due to being in pain which is also a shame. The debate has already started on who will be in for him if he isn't there with the media jumping up and down at the prospect of the headlines and debate they can splash all over the place if Suzie Wolff is in the car. Personally I hope they give Alex Lynn a shot because he is lightening quick and will be a great addition to the bunch of new drivers we already have on the grid even if it is for just one race. Alternatively they might take the tactic of going for someone who has raced in Grand Prix before. I'm sure JEV has already started following the team on Twitter as of Sunday.

Speaking of the rookies they were one of the massive positive points of Australia and I'm sure Felipe Nasr has already gained a massive load of new fans from that one drive. I think his GP2 drives meant he had a lot already but those none watchers of GP2 probably expected another pay driver but had dropped that idea as soon as they saw the overtake after the safety car. Whatever the out come of the Sauber debate with Van Der Garde I'm pretty sure it won't be Nasr making way. The Torro Rosso boys lit up the weekend too with little Max Verstappen getting all the plaudits and media attention whilst Carlos Sainz actually got the business done on the track. The media loves the idea of a 17 year old coming in and being awesome in F1 so you'll hear far more about Max than Carlos but both of them are on a parr really with Sainz maybe having the edge currently. They are both hitting F1 like a hammer at the moment and it does make you think about all the other drivers they were competing with and being beaten by in junior formulas and how F1 might be a better place for having them in it.

Oh and will Manor actually turn a wheel in Malaysia? I'm sure we're on the edge of our seats to find out.

Anyways Discuss, Javelin, Long Jump!

Last edited:
WOW wow ... I'm speechless. The car is going well, Vettel like clockwork and the team sensational. And Kimi could have been third.

"I shouldn't say it, but I don't know," Vettel said. "I was s***ting myself in the last few laps because here and there the thought was coming into my head, I was looking at the top of the chassis, and thinking 'this is a red car, you're about to win!'.

So what was he "was s***ting"?

Ah what a refreshing race that was! :)

Off the line into Turn 1 I thought Hamilton had one this race as Rosberg couldn't pass Vettel as he was cautious into Turn 1, then Hamilton wasn't pulling away from Vettel as much as we thought he would, and Rosberg couldn't get past. I was like, hang on a minute, Mercedes much just be going conservative on purpose.

Turns out they weren't.

Good for us I say!

But in reality I wasn't expecting Vettel to finish infront of either of them, once I seen everyone go in the pits but not Vettel, I knew Ferrari were on to something, but it would only work if several other cars decided to stay out, which they did.

From there on, it was just good to watch, Hamilton, Rosberg and Mercedes looking flustered, while Ferrari and Vettel were just calm and doing there thing and romped to victory!

Vettel I thought was astounding today, along with the Ferrari team, really worked as a unit. The only slight disappointment they'll have is Raikkonen missing out on a good result, they were likely to get a double podium, maybe even a 1-2!

Hamilton I feel tried his hardest, but he just didn't have enough, it would have been interesting to see how he would have fared if he had the same strategy as Vettel, but I think at this track Ferrari had him covered.

Rosberg should have gotten a better result, seems tentative and clearly rattled, been quite disappointing so far. Finished only a couple of seconds behind Hamilton in Australia, but today he should have beaten. He had the pace, should have passed Vettel into Turn 1. Maybe I'm being a little harsh since Hamilton had track position and didn't have to queue up in the pits. However, looks like a defeated man...

Ah Raikkonen, hasn't seemed to have had much luck at Ferrari. Looked quick all weekend, only for the weather to intervene in his qualifying which put him down the grid. Had a difficult start, got hit off the line, recovered well after that, only for Nasr to outbrake himself and slice the tyre. Came from near dead last to finish 4th, good recovery drive, but could have been him on the top step of the podium today judging by the three practice sessions.

Bottas didn't do too bad after a bad start, like Raikkonen, safety car recovered his race a little. Williams seemed to be in a league of their own, slower than Ferrari and Mercedes, but far ahead of the rest. Gave us a good fight with Massa towards the end, best that he and Williams could have hoped for.

Massa seemed to be struggling from the start, whether it was tyre or engine related, still did well enough, nearly edged out his team mate but lost out to him just on the last lap, good racing from him.

Verstappen pulled off probably the best overtake move of the race on his team mate. Just out braked himself and slide through, but he looked under control of it the whole time. Got some points, and a record that will probably won't get taken away from him for a long time.

As much as Sainz isn't hyped up, in both races I think that he's been better than the highly rated Verstappen. Managed a two stop well, couldn't hold off his team mate towards the end who had much fresher tyres. Think he drove a better race than the two and like Raikkonen was a casualty of the rainy Q2 session.

Both Red Bulls were 'meh', still gave us a good race, brake dust flying everywhere, overtaking cars, getting overtaken, then fighting over each other and getting punted off. Kvyat did well in the end to finish ahead of the highly rated Ricciardo after passing him then getting into a collision with Hulkenberg. Maybe he could have finished ahead of Sainz if it wasn't for that. But Red Bull must be kicking themselves, it can't JUST be the engine, look how well Toro Rosso are doing, one of the best cars they've ever built and they finished ahead.

Grosjean, Maldonado and Lotus seemed poor today, expected much more from them after their qualifying pace in Australia looked promising. Maldonado's horrible luck continues...unlucky number 13 eh?

Some points squandered by Sauber today, Ericsson looked racey and strong, only to be over ambitious just like his team mate, but it brought out the safety car and spiced up the race. Nasr couldn't recover after needed a new front wing, Ericsson looked better throughout the weekend.

Force India was strange. On one hand we had Hulkenberg running in 2nd for a long time, with Perez in 2nd last, only to find them finish right beside each other. Hulkenberg's downfall was being on a 2 stopper only to change late, felt his penalty was rather unfair aswell. Perez just kept going backwards from the start as if he had a problem, think he was in 6th, then nearly last in the space of several laps. I also think his penalty was unfair aswell. Force India should have done better with Hulkenberg, get as many points as you can while your cars a dud!

McLaren....

Well done Marussia, not many thought they would run in Malaysia, yet they had one car complete a full race.

Loved this race, it was what F1 needed after a lacklustre Australia. I'm not getting ahead of myself, as I feel this track and temperatures played into Ferrari's hands, in Australia they finished 30s+ behind both Mercedes. But it was great to see Mercedes beaten by outright pace and fair and square. The shell shocked faces in the team said it all.

This is the most excited I've felt after a race since Abu Dhabi 2012, my passion for the sport has always been there, but recently it hasn't been strong as it has been.

FERRARI IS BACK!!!

Last edited:
Why does everyone seem to be saying that Rosberg is finished? He showed today that he has the speed, he kept pushing to the end. I don't see how he could have got past Vettel, who had an equally fast car, at the first corner and he worked his way through the traffic in good time after a silly stop when Mercedes should have put the drivers on differing strategies.

Just in case no-one has noticed there are still seventeen races to go yet, all the drivers will have ups an downs before the fat lady sings.

Bill Boddy Rosberg is not finished but the fact that Vettel has potentially emerged as a rival for Mercedes may force them to rethink about deploying NO 1 and No 2 but it is not something they usually do .

You have to say Rosberg at the moment is second best at everything compared to Hamilton although it is too early write him off but he must strike back soon

Rosberg didn't do well today and hasn't come across well in front of the cameras. When faced with Hamilton and now a really fired up Vettel, I'd suggest his season just got a lot harder.

Finished, no but he needs to have a good race soon otherwise it's going to get away from him.

Well I have to say I had a hunch that Vettel could win given the Mercedes drivers nearly messed things up yesterday in quali. This time though the team was outsmarted in strategy and Vettel with Ferrari are fast enough to make the most of the opportunity...it would be something that both Button and Alonso would relish .

I'll give credit to Vettel and Ferrari who gambled and made it work. Raikkonen seems like the old Kimi is back but he seems to be hit by bad luck ...lets hope it does not carry on that way so we may see a 4 driver battle for the title

Hamilton - did just about everything he could to retrieve the situation although I notice a few haters criticising him that he is being rattled when there is competition

Rosberg - seems to be second best to everything and now has Vettel to worry about

Williams - not sure what to make of them because is it the car masked by the powerful Merc engines or are the drivers not able to utilise the speed of it

Toro Rosso - "You can't win with kids" but the two rookies are making the most of a decent car to show their abilities

Red Bull - well interesting getting beat by their little sister team who have rookies, less resources and using the same engine. Christian should STFU and sort the mess of his own team out . Today's result showed you can beat Mercedes without overhauling the regulations

Sauber - the car is better than last year so points squandered by Ericsson

Force India - the usual infamous tactic they've used in the past in trying to be a mobile chicane and hope to pick up points and positions by doing less stop but the car is nowhere as good with their late launch and could be a season of struggle for them once Mclaren are up to speed

Lotus - better than last year but seemed to run into trouble not their own doing

Mclaren - well what can you say - they went further than Melbourne in actually racing with cars to score points but this is still very unacceptable by the standards of this great team
Who is going to crack first in the team?

Marussia - Its good they are racing but lets hope they are not just soldiering at the back miles off the pace because that aint good either

"I shouldn't say it, but I don't know," Vettel said. "I was s***ting myself in the last few laps because here and there the thought was coming into my head, I was looking at the top of the chassis, and thinking 'this is a red car, you're about to win!'.

So what was he "was s***ting"?

What I see in the official press-conference:
"I shouldn’t say it but I don’t know, I was shitting myself the last couple of laps because here and there the thought was coming to my head"

It is only joke.
I'm not doubt that this win is significant for Vettel and Ferrari:
first win after more than a year.

Just watched it.

rpm_g_one33_cr_600x400.jpg

Nothing else to add.

If both the Ferraris start vying for front rows and pole positions the pressure on Lewis and Nico will increase. If you look at the pattern from last year it was Nico that coped better with an increased pressure during Q3. It should all make for some interesting and nail biting races.

I'd be worrying about Nico's mental state a hell of a lot more than Lewis' at the moment snowy. The guy that will lose out the most from a competitive Ferrari is the 2nd Mercedes driver in the race, and that is Nico far more often than Lewis.

He also had the better tyre strategy of the Mercs as well. having the Ms for the last stint rather than second to last was the better option.

If Mercedes had kept their options from yesterday, Lewis would've won this easily by my calculations/guesses, he had 22 seconds to make up in 30 laps on tyres that were around/over a second quicker

Back
Top Bottom