Grand Prix 2015 Bahrain Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Barely has the dust settled on the China syndrome and we move a few thousand miles around the globe to the tiny Gulf state of Bahrain. The F1 circus rolls into town like a column of tanks and sets up camp for a few days. The race, the first to take place in the Middle East, has been ran every year since 2004 with one exception, when the Arab Spring went bouncing through. Fortunately for F1 fans the show must go on and so it did. Last year’s race saw victory for Lewis Hamilton and the word on the streets is that the bookies are tipping Hamilton again, to take this year’s race. The country itself is known as quite a tolerant place to Western influence and as a former British colony, doesn’t actually hate Brits which makes a nice change. A place of interest worth visiting if you are ever in Bahrain is the rather nice duty free shop on the end of the Jetty in the commercial port. Good luck getting in there without an ID card but the race merchandise is a lot cheaper than that sold at the track. (Information correct as of 2006).

As the teams trundle into the fourth race of the season we are unlikely to see too many upgrades at this stage. Most of the teams are keeping their powder dry until the show piles into the first European leg later this month.

That said then, the Silver Arrows should be pointing the way home for the rest of the field. Last year we had engine switch gate where the first cracks in the friendship between the two young friends started to appear. Fortunately, this season, their relationship is already in bits so we don’t have to worry too much about that.

Ferrari and Williams are once again set to be the next best but will temperature play a part here and push the Ferrari’s closer to the Mercs? While it shouldn’t be as hot as Malaya it should be warmer than China. Williams must be scratching their heads and wondering why they can’t get on the back end of the Mercs let alone the Ferrari’s. Last season’s comeback for Sir Franks outfit seems to have lost some momentum.

Team Enstone, (like many others I try and say Lot.. Lo... Lotu nope sorry just can’t do it) have found themselves some clean air toward the front of the midfield pack in the hands of Grosjean and his team mate if he’s not being hit or hitting something or someone.

Who would have predicted that the next battle would be between Martin Brundle’s new bestest driver ever and his team mate and the two Sauber cars. With Red Bull also getting right into the midfield mix, this seems to be the only part of tarmac that has a genuine battle for every inch of it. I like the Sauber’s blue and yellow colour scheme and the fact they have huge numbers on the side of the car that make them easy to spot

Last season’s surprise third place came from Force India and there’s no doubt Perez won’t be achieving the same here. The best Force India can hope for is to have a good clean race and get themselves into a position to pick off a point or two.

McLaren, well they are certainly having a testing season. An uncharacteristic mistake from Button saw Maldonado declared the innocent party. That event in itself will be less rare than McLaren scoring a point this season if their current run of form continues. Flashes of speed seem to give a false dawn that some sort of improvement is being made before qualification starts and reality dawns.

And finally to Manor Marussia (this space available for sponsorship contact 1-800-manor). The little team that wouldn’t go. While they still have the re-badged 2014 car and the 2014 engines they have no hope but, to be on the grid is hope enough that their season can continue. I like what Will Stevens is doing in that car. When trouble free he is comfortably ahead of his team mate. He drives a good clean race, stays out of trouble and gets on with it. Merhi is putting the laps in and bringing back the data which is all that can be asked of him.

So, there’s the rundown of the runners and riders. Those lucky three to climb the top step and be interviewed by some random passerby, will get to taste the traditional Middle East sparkling Rose Water in place of the champers. Whoever wins though, it will taste just as sweet.

Last edited:
"McLaren, well they are certainly having a testing season."

A testing season is good.
But so bad is not good for McLaren.

The history of the Bahrain Grand Prix in one diagram. No tanks included.
Tenner.png

Wasn't there quite a good tussle between the two Merc drivers there last year?

Nice to see the UK and US have signed that, that's gone well.

Back to the GP, I've just re-read the PQR thread from last year and we all got as over excited after Bahrain last year as we did after Malaysia this year. Another one I'll miss live as I'm out and about over the weekend.

I'm massively excited about Bahrain because it means the GP2 is back and that never dissapoints when it comes to action, overtakes or plain comedy driving.

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/gp2-championship-2015.7318/

As for the F1 race. I really can't see past Lewis again - although with it being warmer a Seb second place could be on. I guess the real hard thing to predict will be what Rosberg will blame for Lewis beating him this week. Can't wait to find out.

I always say Bahrain is a dull track (it is) and creates dull races. It usually then goes and proves me wrong by being a cracker. So in the interest of that........Bahrain is a dull track and creates dull races!

It's funny - everyone really loved the 2014 race but I didn't. But then I quite enjoyed Shanghai 2015 (and more than Malaysia before it) so clearly my opinion is diametrically opposite to everyone else!

A place of interest worth visiting if you are ever in Bahrain is the rather nice duty free shop on the end of the Jetty in the commercial port. Good luck getting in there without an ID card but the race merchandise is a lot cheaper than that sold at the track. (Information correct as of 2006).

If this is the highlight of Bahrain its not gonna find itself on my bucket list any time soon.

I'd forgotten that Bahrain is a night race now so it's an evening start in the UK as well. It's nice to be able to watch F1 in the evening once in a while. And Bahrain has given us a good race the last couple of years too.

Last edited:
There is expectancy that Ferrari might be able to challenge Mercedes because the extreme heat may suit the red cars better in managing their tyres despite being at night

Looking at the rest

- Williams probably a dead cert for the best of the rest

Red Bull and Toro Rosso will be battling with them but both have engine issues which may test the fragile relationship that exist already

I will not be surprised if Toro Rosso once again beat Red Bull seeing as the main team has also serious brake problems

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/04/red-bull-anticipating-penalties-as-power-unit-problems-mount/

Lotus and Sauber might be able to mix it with them

Then I see Mclaren and Force India together...usually Force India's have been strong in Bahrain but their car is probably the worst one they've prepared

Those lucky three to climb the top step ...... will get to taste the traditional Middle East sparkling Rose Water in place of the champers.
So, no team orders from Ferrari needed to stop Kimi attacking Seb for 3rd place. :cheers:

Nice to see the UK and US have signed that, that's gone well.

They're always up for signing stuff, just not so good at implementing even the smallest ****ing crumb of it. :givemestrength:

As for the race, I'm giving this one (& probably more to follow) a miss - we've got tickets to a rather appropriate alternative. :snigger:
http://www.demontforthall.co.uk/events/events.php/2015/1266/mike-and-the-mechanics/
Might take in the first corner, or even a couple of laps; but will not be watching DRS battles for 9th, 13th or similar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom