Grand Prix 2014 Spanish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Hola amigos!!

The F1 circus rolls into not-in Barcelona for the 2014 Spanish Grand Prix, the fifth round of the championship. As it is the start of the European season, this Grand Prix is usually the scene of technical updates from all teams, or last-minute bits and bobs to hopefully reverse the awful job the engineers did at the start of the season, depending on your cynicism. Now, all teams say that they can get half-a-second per lap, so the field theoretically shouldn't change order, but inevitably this is never the case. So, it will be interesting to see which teams have been overly-optimistic. I mean, there's one thing talking the talk, but can they walk the walk (or in this case just go really fast).

Often hailed as a 'complete' circuit which tests all aspects of the cars - i.e. a byword for producing awful races - the circuit often used to hold pre-season tests, so teams had a reasonable ides of what to expect, but some guy in the FIA decided that it does rain in Spain, and it doesn't necessarily fall mainly on the plain. So the tests were shoved off to the Middle East, and the teams only now have an almost-certain ides of what to expect. Something to point out, though, it is often said by some people that those cars who are good in the (unfortunately) tight last sector should be good at Monaco.

In terms of classic races, er, well I suppose 2011 wasn't bad, nor '91 and '92. Oh, and of course everyone's favourite safety ambassador won in 2012.

Usually it's bone dry here, with the last wet race in 1996, and thus is inevitably more boring and predictable than usual. Stick a hairpin at the end of the main straight!!! But I suppose it'll be good to see a dry quali for once!!

Ready....Steady....Discuss!!

Couldn't disagree more Batman. Webber never liked the blown diffuser and at the races where it played a lesser role he shone. At all times in F1's history the drivers themselves have always highly rated any driver who could win at Monaco, Webber did so twice. That alone deserves respect. We have no way of knowing how he would have performed in the current cars but as they lack the technology Vettel loved so much, the hot blown diffuser, I believe he would have had the same sort of results Ricciardo has been achieving. The current car would have been very much to his liking.

Good point. Technology changes the game.

Ok serious question. Did Eddie just do the interviews drunk?

What the hell was that.

My mrs heard him interviewing and asked me why they'd let Louie Walsh do the podium interviews. I tried to explain they were very different people but then I realised they are pretty much the same.

Great stuff from the Mercs, Great fight with the Ferrari's, Awesome drive from Vettel and lets not under estimate how good a drive that was from Grosjean in a car that handles like a shopping trolly.

Mclaren's were awful, JEV's luck is slowly turning into Mark Webbers and Hulk got mugged by Perez.

Last edited:
I don't really understand why Lewis was conserving so much fuel. The extra weight of fuel compared with Nico at the end must've been a disadvantage? Of course maybe his driving style is so economic on fuel that he is unable to waste the excess! The graining tyres didn't help of course, as he tried to stay on the track.

Tom Clarkson said that Mercedes might have been telling him that there was an extra lap left, when Rosberg's pit board said 16 laps left, Lewis' has 17 laps left, might just be that they changed Rosberg's earlier

Credit to Sebastian Vettel today considering the Friday and the Saturday that he had this weekend it was a great drive by him today to finish 4th.

Another appalling show by McLaren, sacking Whitmarsh seems to have done the trick I see.

Nice one Ronnie,
Nice one son,
Nice one Ronnie,,,,
Lets 'ave another one...

Last edited:
Shame that Alonso stopped for a 3rd stop, he should have stayed out, had a clear chance for fourth, because his pace was good.

Had Alonso not stopped he would have finished up like Raikkonen with worn-out tyres and no chance of resisting being overtaken.

I don't really understand why Lewis was conserving so much fuel. The extra weight of fuel compared with Nico at the end must've been a disadvantage? Of course maybe his driving style is so economic on fuel that he is unable to waste the excess! The graining tyres didn't help of course, as he tried to stay on the track.
It seems his backend was dancing all over compared to his teammate and as a result he would have been less aggressive with the throttle. That's my theory anyway.

I just remembered the Brundle quote frpm tje commentary

Lewis on Radio: my back ends all over the place.

Brundle: he needs some immodium for that.

Juvenille but funny.

steveg could be on to something. If you have to squeeze the throttle more gently then you're going to use less fuel.

I've been to the Med and it doesn't have any tide, well it does but it only rises and falls about 8 inches,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Oh hang on that's the joke isn't it,,, sorry...

BOOM

BH.jpg

Back
Top Bottom