Grand Prix 2014 Russian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Greetings, Comrades!!!

Welcome to glorious nation of Russia for Russian Grand Prix, for Russian Grand Prix in former Soviet city of Sochi.

The former holiday-city for many famous Soviet dictators, the city of Sochi plays host to the first Russian Grand Prix, the circuit of which winds its way around the 2014 Winter Olympic Park. There were initially plans for a Soviet Grand Prix around the streets of Moscow, however the Hungarian Grand Prix was created instead. The allure of having a Grand Prix in the world's biggest nation was always seemingly irresistible, and so it has proved.

His Greatness Royal General Secretary King Vladimir will undoubtedly be at the race, and will see it as further proof of Russia's sporting and cultural prowess. Expect the vodka to be flowing and Russian troop hats to be worn!!!

In terms of the weather, it is in glorious former Soviet nation of Russia. In October. But Sochi should be nowhere near as harsh of other areas of Russia. Hopefully the weather shouldn't play too much of a part in this thrilling championship battle - actually, on second thoughts, it would be great if it could!!!

The circuit itself is long - as the race is 52 laps - a 'street' circuit (with runoffs) and there have been unfortunate comparisons to Valencia, but hopefully these fears will be unfounded, and turn 4 does look interesting - it will sure put a test to the right-hand tyres and the left-hand-side of the drivers' necks.

As the championship battle comes to a head, will Hamilton still lead after a race in Putin's fairground, will Rosberg reclaim his place at the top of the standings or will there be another case of a Mercedes car stalin?

Thanks olegg Interesting that even on their Ideal Laps no-one can get under 1.40 except Hamilton.....bound to change tomorrow but by how much?????

Last edited:
I don't see that the current lap times carry any significance as to how fast the ultimate lap will be as it is plain to see the track is very green and it is ramping up all the time as new rubber is being laid down...

Turn 13 is proving a challenge but nice to see Mclaren's are up there which may sway Alonso's mind if he has not signed yet for them

Now if Jenson is feeling confident lets hope he gets rewarded for his efforts this weekend

Well, what an utter and complete disappointment.

When they said Russian Grand Prix in Sochi, I was excited and thinking Winter Olympics. :cheer:
I was thinking ski-jumping, downhill and slalom. :o
I was thinking cross-country and biathlon. 8-)
I was thinking bobsleigh and luge. :cheers:

I was NOT thinking a frickin Trading Estate with all the Strictly Come Poncing About On Ice stadium boxes in the foreground.:givemestrength:

Lewis absolutely blitzed everyone in FP3 looks like a Merc lock out..

Surprise the STR's are seriously quick .. quicker than Vettel :thinking:

Mclaren have gone backwards I hope they are sandbagging because they will struggle to make it to Q3 unless Kimi fluffs up again

Ohhhh so close for Bottas.... big shame. Apart from P1 and P2 this is a very interesting grid - could be some very good racing tomorrow esp with Massa coming from the back and a couple of other 5 place penalties...lots of overtaking tomorrow. :)

Enjoyed that- pity for Bottas, but lovely car control on the final corner. Great to see Jenson where he is, especially in the dry. the circuit seems to be more interesting than it first appears, so I'm rather looking forward to the race.

If the GP2 race is anything to go by there will be plenty of places to overtake but lots of track limit penalties. Start should be interesting too as its an awful long way from the line to the first braking zone.

I searched around the inter web for an image to sum up my feelings towards the qualie session today and this one sprung out at me.

scouredditch.jpg

I so hope the race will be better but I suspect we will be wondering who will finish 4th as 1-2-3 are already decided.

Back
Top Bottom