Grand Prix 2014 Japanese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Lewis Hamilton is quoted as saying that whilst some are interested in getting the winning trophies from the F1 classics of Monaco and Monza he is much more interested in winning the ‘modern classics’ such as Silverstone, Spa and Suzuka. The fact that Suzuka is now a classic F1 race is not in doubt in my mind and whilst there was a move for it to be shared with Toyota’s home track in the late noughties it has been a staple diet on the F1 calendar since the 80’s. It has a much fabled history and was setting for the most talked about battle blows between Prost and Senna and whilst it won’t decide the championship this season it has been the deciding round on many occasions. Track wise its not the easiest one to pass on but it is unique in being a figure of eight and having a cross over point. It also has the much fabled 130R and I for one am looking forward to seeing how the 2014 spec F1 cars look going through it this year.

Last season was the first time since 1987 that the manic Japanese fans did not have a home driver to cheer on but, barring a sudden Caterham driver change, this year they will have Kobayashi to cheer on. In fact there is an official Kobayashi stand at the track this year. Kobi has very much been a legend with overtakes and performance on this track however you would think that he has his work cut out in the shopping trolley like Caterham car this year. The other home interest is of course Jenson Button who is judged as being Japanese through marriage. JB has always been good round here and whilst the Mclaren is not a race winner this year it does seem to be getting better and Button’s form has actually, whilst unheralded, has been very good this year and I expect him to push for a top 6 finish.

Championship wise this is a complete opposite to Singapore with neither Merc drivers having good form on this track. Results wise this is Lewis Hamilton’s worst track with a 3rd in 2009 behind Vettel and Jarno Trulli in a Toyota (!) being his best result. That’s not to say he hasn’t been quick round here but its just that the results have not come. Nico Rosberg meanwhile has never got higher than eighth but will have the bit between his teeth after a nightmare Sunday at Singapore. I expect the race win to be a battle between the two Mercs and if I had to put money on it then I’d give it to Hamilton but then I’d have said that at every round this year.

Down the field it will be interesting to see if Ferrari are as on from as they were in Singapore and also if Alonso can beat Kimi like he has all season when Suzuka is most certainly Kimi territory as he has had some mighty mighty drives around here. The Vettel/Riccardo scrap has been fascinating all season and I’ve no doubt it will be a close one yet again with Vettel seemingly at least on terms with his impressive young team mate in the last few races. Williams are impossible to predict as they seem to have a super car one week and a midpack car another but its interesting to see that Massa’s form has certainly improved of late. JEV comes to Japan after an brilliant drive in Singapore and seemingly with his young Russian team mate now in hand.

Its an early morning race start if you are based in Europe and a very late night if you are over the Americas but I’m sure you’ll all be watching. Are you a Japan fan or does this race bore you to tears? Will be interesting to hear people’s views on both the race and what you expect to happen in 2014.

I can never understand why they let those vehicles come out to recover cars. Without it he would only have hit Sutil's car, which wouldn't have been half as bad. Hope he recovers.

Have seen pictures on Twitter from Japanese fans in the stadium behind bianchi's accident, and it looks like his car has gone under the underside at the rear of the JCB, there are parts of the marussia car stuck to the rear corner of the JCB, car doesn't look good and the fact marussia & Ferrari staff had to force a door open to get in the medical centre is very worrying.

Hope this bloke is okay?

But do fear big changes on safety for the next race.

Sky sport news reporting Jules is being operated on and is in critical condition.

Source Jules father

EDIT: a severe head injury.

Last edited:
Dario Resta F1Yorkshire

I noticed it mentioned he travelled across the run off area and hit the back of the tractor as the official FIA communication. So would not a gravel trap have slowed him down

Secondly hitting any stationary object at great speed is going to cause great impact so I dont agree an impact with Sutil's car would have been less worse - I remember Alesi spinning off in Canada in the wet in 1990 and his Tyrell smashed into Nannini's parked Benetton and it could have been nasty as the car could have flipped

F1 cars have crumple zones and disintegrate on impact.
10 ton solid steel recovery vehicles don't.

The major design flaw with an F1 car is you can't duck out of the way if you're approaching something which is at head height.
So even if you know it's going to happen, there's nothing you can do about it

The main issue does appear to be the design of the crane and the fact an F1 car can go underneath at head height. Obviously there's other ways to mitigate against such an occurrence such as red-flagging more (incident was already under double-waved yellows?) or just bringing out the safety car quicker which they should have done here too. It is a difficult one though. The cranes are locally-sourced I guess and all have different designs.

Don't forget a marshall was killed by a recovery vehicle only last year.

Double waved yellows means that drivers must slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary.
Bearing in mind the conditions, perhaps Bianchi should have slowed down more?

What's not been discussed is the decision made by the organisers to race at the planned time slot. If they had agreed to the change in time suggested by the FIA would the accidents have occurred? Sutil was suggesting that poor visibility contributed to the accident.

Why are races being shown at times to suit a European audience when clearly driver safety and event flexibility is being sacrificed in order for them to do so.

Races should be run at the times which give the greatest chance of acceptable racing conditions. Canada isn't run at the end of the season when the other American races are run due to the weather conditions. Singapore is actually suited to be a night race as at that time of year rain is more common in the afternoons than in the evening.

Malaysia & Japan seem to be the races most affected by heavy rainfall and with dusk approaching rapidly in their races surely a rethink in race timing is needed in order to maximise event safety.

The way I see it, the casual fan wouldn't watch it if was at 3am, 5am or the 7am it was today (UK time). Its still early in the morning and casual fan wont tune in. If that is who they are trying to attract to watch the race then they have it wrong.

The 'proper' fans don't care what time. I would have watched it even if it was 3am. If anything, messing about with timings (and the consequences which result from that) is likely to annoy the 'core fan base'.

Watching GP's in the early mornings is an important part of the F1 experience. For myself and a lot of people it's the only chance we get to watch a GP in peace, without interruption and with a special ambiance. Bernie and his cronies are complete ****ing arseholes failing to recognise just how important variety and necessity are.

Last edited:
For me it doesn't matter what time the race is on. But I rather stay up, than wake up for one.

Didn't even see Bianchi crash, hope he recovers well.

Ow, that's right. This reminded me of your post chris1981.
928044_732087263552895_358385063_n_zpscf4b9507.jpg

I put all media off around noon fearing the worst.
I then went into a 11 hour depression of GTA4, whiskey and (very loud) Lana Del Ray fuelled information black out. I have just tuned back in and am so relieved he is still alive, I know there is along way to go. But the fact he is out of surgery and breathing on his own is great news.

Come on Jules, keep fighting.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Jules Bianchi. He's a great talent and someone that I have a lot of respect for.

Hopefully F1 pays him a great tribute next weekend. There are shades of De Dilvestro (the Marruaia test driver if I got the name right) in this accident. Horrible tragedy.

Last edited:
A lot of questions are being asked about the fact an earlier time was offered and the powers that be declined. I'm sure I've read somewhere the teams weren't even asked (sorry I can't remember where I saw that!).
There was something about the bullet train bringing most of the spectators only runs at certain times and wouldn't have got the audience there had the race been moved to 11am LT.
I guess they weighed up the pro's and cons and decided to risk the weather.
It was a very upsetting and traumatic accident but that is what it was, an accident and a freak one at that. Hindsight is a wonderful thing to assign blame - what about the outcries if fans had got up at 7am to find the race done and dusted? I'm surer there would have been plenty of voices complaining.

I just wish Jules a speedy and full recovery, my heart is with his family and friends at such a worrying time.

Back
Top Bottom