Football 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifying Thread

Not sure why you're laughing, we're (Scotland) definitely not setting the world alight eiher.

I was laughing because they think that they're the bees knees. They couldn't be more wrong. Apart from Bale and the inconsistent Ramsey, they are a shockingly bad side. It's testament to the ineptness of that fud Levein that we're below that shower in the standings.

I don't think I'll be able to set foot outside again if we finish below them tomorrow.

It looked for certain that Mexico was going to be eliminated last night. But then the US saved the day for them.

Down 2-1 in stoppage time the American squad tied up Panama, and then added another tally for good measure to win 3-2. If the Panamanians win that game, the Mexicans get eliminated from the World Cup already. But they're not even in yet though, they've got to beat New Zealand in a home and home Playoff series now.

The Official US Soccer twitter account sent this out last night #YoureWelcomeMexico

I think the Mexican announcers enjoyed it

New Zealand won't believe their bad luck; they thought they'd avoided a heavyweight!

In Europe, meanwhile, chapeau to Iceland who've made the play-offs. They'll be hoping for Croatia, who've just been beaten home and away by Scotland.

New Zealand won't believe their bad luck; they thought they'd avoided a heavyweight!

In Europe, meanwhile, chapeau to Iceland who've made the play-offs. They'll be hoping for Croatia, who've just been beaten home and away by Scotland.

Their manager offered his resignation as well. Bit strange considering they can still qualify.

I think Iceland will want Greece personally.

As pleased as I am to see a small country like Iceland doing so well it also fills me with rage. Their manager is Lars Lagerback, who I wanted in charge of Scotland and who I think would have taken the job had he been offered it. We got Levein instead. You know the rest.

Not all bad though. We finished above this great young Welsh team that everyone's been crowing about.

I think Strachan is a good fit for international football; it is sort of the job he did with Celtic in the Champions League. And apart from his first year he did tend to get them to the last 16.

And, let's be honest, you guys are at least likely to get funnier press conferences than us with Hodgson!

Ghana, Algeria, Cameroon, Nigeria and Ivory Coast have all qualified from Africa
In the European play-offs,Greece and Croatia have qualified, with Portugal are currently level with Sweden on aggregate (2-2) but have the crucial away goal, and France are level with Ukraine (2-2 agg.).
Mexico and Uruguay should confirm their places tomorrow.

And that'll be it!!

Portugal have levelled (guess who), so Sweden will need 2 more goals to go to Brazil, with 15 or so minutes left.

EDIT: Ronaldo has scored a hat-trick. He will probably be going to Brazil.

Last edited:
France have made it 3-0 against 10 men, so it looks like they will qualify.

And they have.

Last edited:
There were no fairy tale stories last night unfortunately. Iceland and Burkina Faso failed to make it. I genuinely thought Portugal were going to get put out before last night but Ronaldo obviously put in a classy performance.

Back
Top Bottom