Grand Prix 2013 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So we head back to Texas for the second time since its inception. Can we hope that the exceptional racing last year will induce Bernie to leave it on the calendar for a couple more years at least? That will probably be down to this year’s result and his ability to run things from a jail cell! Al Capone managed it though!

Over 117 thousand peeps rocked up to watch the inaugural GP. If that level of interest is maintained this year, the economics could forestall any negative plans that BE might have for this track.

For a Tilke track, it was received well by most drivers and fans alike. It was something new and unknown and it certainly tested the drivers and the fans’ expectations. 2012 was a ‘good’ race.

However, in 2012 we weren’t quite sure that RBR had taken both the WCC and the WDC – this year there is no such uncertainty.

We are now looking at a race that will involve the drivers who suddenly come to life at contract time; those who have a point to prove; those who are retiring or in limbo. Those who haven’t been paid seem to have their own agenda – the grid maybe a tad smaller, if only by one.

We saw elements of this in Abu Dhabi with Massa, Perez and Gutierrez pulling their respective fingers out. Kimi driving with his eyes shut, even Webber was hoping for a better-than-usual result. Whilst Kimi gave up the will to live, Grosjean thought “sod it, I’m here to race”.

Vettel, of course, will prove a point and, maybe, add to his impressive tally of records. Of course, he didn’t win in 2012, so that will probably be his goal in Austin.

For some drivers, there is all to play for. For others, they are there to fulfil their contract. We, the fans, have no influence here!

But how will it be for the disillusioned fan and there seem to be many? Those who have lost faith in F1 in general. It would be great to believe that Austin will once again rekindle a passion for racing – it was an eye opener last year and, hopefully, again this year.

I’m still an optimist and hope to see some stunning racing on a better-than-average track. As ever it will be down to the drivers and their desire to win.

Last edited:
A nice size of enthusiastic fans in attendance, but unfortunately not a race like last year, in order for new viewers to the sport at home to enjoy.

I enjoyed the donuts. I'm glad that Vettel keeps on doing then in spite of the fines. I prefer it to the finger. I would be more than fine for the donuts to replace the finger if we are going to have to deal with him dominating for a few more seasons.

The race wasn't a classic, but it was good to see Bottas and Hulk battling with the big names.

^^ I don't think he's had any fines for the donuts so I suspect it will just become the norm now for all winners. The fine in India was for not returning to the pit lane and parking his car on the straight. No fine in AD and I don't think there was one in texas either.

Bet he got sent a bill for repainting the track apron

maxresdefault121.jpg

Sorry I'm late to the party here, got back from Austin on Monday and have had work to catch up on. So much to say about my first live F1 experience but I'll keep it short. The track is amazing and after some organizational snafus with the tickets were fixed the staff was very nice.

I noticed on Friday during practice that the Red Bull's were considerably louder than the rest of the field, perhaps something related to the new regs in 2014? Sat at turn 19 for FP2 and am amazed at how hard that corner really is to get right.

During qualifying I felt for sure the Webber had it in the bag, and from our vantage at turn 11 his pace was better. Terrific lap by Seb to pull that one out. Was also very impressed with the way Bottas drove on Saturday.

Race day was incredible even if the race itself wasn't that memorable. I have not been a Vettel fan or really a supporter but after three days of seeing him in person I'm convinced that he really is that good. It's clinical watching him hit the apex perfectly and also audible that he's on the throttle quicker than the rest of the field (insert conspiracy theory here). The real highlight was Vettel doing doughnuts right in front of where we were sitting.

All in all it was an amazing weekend and I'm glad I got to experience the V8 era before it ended. I can't wait to make it back to another race, either in Austin or up in Montreal.

Back
Top Bottom