Grand Prix 2013 Japanese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Korea almost provided an exciting race, helped with a liberal sprinkling of safety cars, but nothing could stop Vettel scampering off into the lead which he only lost for a few laps during the obligatory pit stops. Japan, at the traditional and technically demanding Suzuka circuit, is up next and last year Vettel took the Grand Chelem so I suspect the race winner, mechanical problems aside, is almost pre-determined.

The real race then looks to be for second. Lotus managed two on the podium in Korea with Romain Grosjean being a bit unhappy on the 3rd step. Mercedes flattered to deceive in qualifying, as they have done so many times this season, and struggled in the race with more tyre issues. Fernando Alonso has to have a good result to keep his wafer thin Drivers Championship chances alive.

Sauber performed well at Suzuka last year and after 4th in Korea Nico Hulkenberg will be looking to keep himself in the shop window for a better drive in 2014. Behind this lot there is not much going on. McLaren will qualify badly and then do better in the race. Will Paul di Resta manage a 5th consecutive dnf? Who will Adrian Sutil run into this weekend? I'm sure both Toro Rosso drivers will have different motivations; Ricciardo to prove Red Bull made the right choice promoting him to the senior team, Vergne to show they made the wrong decision.

I'd love to see Williams do well this weekend but somehow don't think they will. Caterham and Marussia must be hoping for a wet race to stand any chance of getting close to some points, we'll have to wait and see if their luck is in. Have I forgotten anyone? Oh yes, Felipe Massa. He was second last year but there is about as much chance of that happening again as I have of making the British Ladies Olympic Netball Team - go on Felipe prove me wrong and I'll go for the try-outs!

Last edited:
Anyone know what the 'engine 21' message to Webber around lap 10 meant? What I'm trying to say is was it simply a message to do with engine mapping or secret code for 'we're going to stuff your strategy in order for Seb to win'.

Back
Top Bottom