Grand Prix 2013 Belgian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

After a drawn-out summer break, where the drivers & their WAGs will have turned themselves orange, Adrian Newey et al will have flouted the factory shutdown rule, and Fernando Alonso will have groomed his frankly excellent beard/moustache combo, Formula 1 returns to the majestic, wonderful, brilliant, exciting, thrilling, fantastic Spa-Francorchamps circuit in Belgium for the Belgian Grand Prix. The longest circuit on the calendar (7.004 km, if you're interested) is packed full of character, from the tight La Source at the beginning of the lap, the (unfortunately) flat-out Eau Rouge, the double-apexed Pouhon corner and the terrifying Blachimont, all set in the middle of the forest with its own micro-climate. There was doubt a couple of years ago about the race's place on the calendar, but thankfully these have been resolved and the Belgian GP is guaranteed a spot on the calendar until at least 2015. We should hope that the teams pressure Bernie into keeping the race on the calendar, as this is a circuit that always produces a good/controversial/exciting race.
More than any other race, the Belgian Grand Prix has been hugely affected by the weather (the circuit can even be wet at one end and dry at the other), most memorably during the chaotic 1998 race where Jordan got their first (and only) 1-2, or the last-lap deluge in 2008 which featured the memorable battle between Hamilton and Raikkonen, and that stewards decision (but please try and refrain from arguing about it - the horse has been well and truly flogged).
Set-up wise, Spa is traditionally a lower-downforce circuit, although Red Bull have used a higher-downforce approach to be fast in sector 2; this has paid dividends - Vettel won here in 2011. Of course, with such a temperamental climate, any whiff of rain on race day will make the race a lottery. With the Lotii, Mercs and Red Bulls seemingly looking fast, they are the cars who you would bet your Brogans (courtesy of cider_and_toast ), for the race and with the Fewwwawi's (courtesy of Jonathan Ross) going backwards. But anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does.

In terms of the championship, Vettel is winning, but with the consistent Lotus Raikkonen and the seemingly tyre-issue free Mercedes, we could be in for an exciting race & exciting end to the season (well, apart from in Korea & India ;))

Spa and Monza are the last two legs of the European season, before a series of flyaway races that make up the final leg of the 2013 season and, as we saw last year, every point counts!!!

So.... Ready, Steady, Discuss!!

Last edited:
RE: the Maldonaldo incident - totally Maldonaldo's fault, the stewards called it right. Maldonaldo has admitted it was his lap to pit yet whilst fighting for the corner before the pit he forgot this and found himself on the wrong side of the track. He then tries to rectify this by turning across the track towards the pits and first clips Sutil then try's again and takes out DiResta.
I'm not a fan of any of them but DiResta had his race ruined by Maldonado's stupidity.

Well, you can't help but be disappointed; I suppose this is what you get when you have predictable tyres. :yes:

It will be a memorable race for Vettel though, and a comfortable win at that. The mess Mark Webber has made from an outstanding car in the last three years is one of F1's greatest tragedies, particularly for Vettel's fans who must defend him from accusations of poor quality motivated mainly by the poor quality of his team-mate.

Alonso and Hamilton are two quality drivers. If Hamilton let Alonso through to nick DRS at the Kemmel straight it both didn't work and should serve as a reminder to the simpletons at the FIA that the Kemmel straight is the very last place in Formula One that needs DRS. Hamilton also seems to have Rosberg where he wants him too.

Lotus continue to get themselves in bad positions on Saturdays and thus find themselves unable to challenge; Raikkonen might have beaten Button, he'd have certainly beaten Grosjean from behind again. Button, on the other hand, was excellent. I'd have liked to see him trying to push to the end on those primes, but he might have been sent catapulting off the cliff. Good result for the driver, there.

Toro Rosso are never going to be able to recover from qualifying like that, but 10th showed they had some potential. Paul di Resta is ringing his mirror repairer for an incident sometime in the last 7 years, but Force India shouldn't be competing with that lunatic Maldonado anyway. Sauber still seem plain slow despite Hulkenburg's jostling. Van der Garde seems to love a wet qualifying, and that "victory" was enough to get him infront of both Marussias with the penalised Maldonado in situ in between.

Max Chilton once again didn't beat Bianchi, but apparently he should be happy with that. Mainly because he hasn't got enough talent. Gutierrez is also in the same boat.

I'm so disappointed. I couldn't believe that Lewis was overtaken at the start of Kemmel. He was amazingly slow out of Radaillon, as was Nico. How can one Red Bull be so much faster than the other. Is it all talent? As Martin Brundle said, Mark Webber is a superb racing driver - insert your own insult here if you need to.

Nico did well to finish pretty close behind Lewis, great effort from Alonso, disappointed for Kimi, but I think we could all see that coming. Perez penalty was a joke - Grosjean whingeing about being forced off track is a bit rich......

The DiResta incident was 100% Maldonado's fault. Sutil was 99% in front when he turned into a left hand corner by turning left - as you do.

Driver of the day for me was Sutil. OK, not the best result, but he had some balls through Eau Rouge on more than one occasion. taking a hand off the wheel to tell Guttieriez to move over was classic.

Why didn't it rain?????

As Martin Brundle said, Mark Webber is a superb racing driver - insert your own insult here if you need to.
Martin Brundle is incorrect. Webber's career team-mate wise:

2002 - bt Yoong
2003 - bt Pizzonia, Wilson
2004 - bt Klien
2005 - lt Heidfeld, bt Pizzonia
2006 - bt Rosberg
2007 - lt Coulthard
2008 - bt Coulthard
since then - lt Vettel

So there we have it, the team-mates Webber has beaten in the WDC are rookies, a Coulthard so far over the hill he couldn't see the sky and Antonio Pizzonia. For 5 races in 2005.

Look at 2011. Red Bull all-but-once on pole. Vettel won 11 races, Webber won 1 (gifted) and finished 2nd twice. OK, he had 2010, when no-one put a title run together, he got himself into an excellent position by winning at circuits with no overtaking then blew it by vaulting Caterhams and never heading Alonso at Abu Dhabi, but essentially there is nothing in his career to suggest he's anything but a medium-talented journeyman whose early years saw him build an undeserved reputation by beating one of the easiest lineups of team-mates ever.

I'm so disappointed. I couldn't believe that Lewis was overtaken at the start of Kemmel. He was amazingly slow out of Radaillon, as was Nico.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just take a look at race replays and your answer is right there if you compare the size of the Mercedes's rear wing to the Red Bull's. It was pretty obvious from the word go that Vettel's car was set-up for a very low downforce configuration. Unusual for them and it worked perfectly on this track.

I think they embarrassed themselves more than anything, and to be honest if it weren't for them I wouldn't even be thinking about Shell right now, I didn't know it was a Shell sponsored event but cheers Greenpeace, thanks for reminding me I may stop at the next Shell garage for a tank full of fuel..:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ok, so on reflection and further video evidence I was wrong in my initial assessment of the Sutil / Maldonado incident. It was purely Maldonado's fault; he was clearly trying to get to the pits from a crazy angle.

But then, the whole chicane / pit entry set-up is crazy to start with. I know that the local topography made things awkward, but surely a better technical solution could have been found to enable the pit entry lane to start before the chicane? even leaving it as it was before would have been better than what we now have.

Also, not having an escape lane allowing anyone going off or missing their braking point to rejoin the track after the chicane, instead forcing them to come back into the traffic in the middle of the chicane in a really dangerous way, is well... dangerous!

I was holding my breath when Kimi's brakes failed, he did a weird thing where he almost when the wrong way on the track briefly as he turned, crossed the track and went into the pits.

Back
Top Bottom