Grand Prix 2012 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yeehaw!
Saddle up and let's mosey on down to Texas for the penultimate round of the 2012 season.

(Okay, that's quite enough of that...)

If it wasn't for the fact that Red Bull and Vettel have all but tied both titles up, this would be one of the most exciting ends to a season for a while.

What we should have had is two or three drivers on approximately level points heading to an unknown circuit, which by all accounts looks like it's going to be a challenge for even the best drivers. Turn one in particular is a blind left at the crest of a hill, which could either make or break the race.
Instead, what we have is a dominant Red Bull who need just four points to take the Constructors' title and Sebastian Vettel who only needs to outscore Fernando Alonso by 15 points or more over the next two rounds to take the Drivers'.

The wheels have come off at McLaren with yet another retirement for Hamilton when leading comfortably at Abu Dhabi; this time due to a faulty fuel pump. McLaren have prosecuted a dreadful campaing this year; without doubt they should have been in a position to take both titles and instead they are unlikely to even be runners up in both.
Where did it all go wrong?

Renault scored their first victory of the season with Kimi Räikkönen. Apparently it was "nothing to jump around about" so we'll say no more.

Mercedes had another race to forget with both cars finishing outside the top 10. Again. One has to hope that this is not a precursor to next season's performance and the redesigned car will be a lot more competitive. They may be able to hang on to fifth in the Constructors' but that will be dependent on how many points the Sauber drivers squander, of which Pérez has been doing an admirable job since he signed for McLaren.

Force India and Williams are in their own private battle in both championships but the Force Indias are in the driving seat (thank you, I'm here all week) and look as if they will just have the edge.

Sadly, for another year, the three "new" teams still occupy all of the bottom places. Caterham had an opportunity during last week's race of attrition to jump Marussia into 10th place, which they currently hold thanks to Timo Glock's 12th place finish at Singapore, but Kovalainen was overtaken in the closing stages. The really sad part is I can't see this ever being any different; the step change in performance required to breach the gap just seems to be unattainable.

For those who haven't seen the circuit, this is the view from the start-finish straight to turn one:
austin-straight-jpg.5108

Here's an onboard lap:

Galahad's circuit write up is here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-of-the-americas/

Burgers, weak beer and popcorn are available from the concession stands (OK, OK, I'll stop now :D)

I watched the race last night and it was a perfect example of how the cream rises to the top whena real challenge is presented. A brand new track with limited grip and we get a podium stacked with the best talent on the grid. I think it is no accident that Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel all finished ahead of their teammates (well, I will spare a thought for Jenson, although Lewis was quicker than him throughout the weekend). The fact that Webber would likely have finished ahead of both Ferraris and and the second McLaren tells me that the Red Bull was the best car this weekend but we saw that there was nothing between Vettel + Red Bull and Hamilton + McLaren. That tells me that Hamilton made up the car differential with driver differential. That was one hell of a race and the top three all drove superbly. Driver of the day for me was, without a doubt, Lewis Hamilton. That was, as little Ant put it, one Lewis' most classy drives.

I don't know where I read it but I remember seeing a sentence along the lines of - "Alonso's greatest trick this season has been convincing everyone that the Ferrari has been the far slower than its competitors, so he looks even better". Whilst the Ferrari has been behind the Red Bull for the last few races and the Mclaren for most of the season, he has taken understatement to a new level. Some may dislike him for it, but man does he know how to play the field :)

Agreed Meph, which is why it's such a shame sulky brat is going to break another record.
Vettel's not my favourite driver, he's somewhat flattered by his car and he does let himself down at times. But those occasions are usually in the heat of battle. When you hear him talk away from the track, he's very personable and very funny. Yesterday he threw the toys over the back marker, but he was pushing his car with Hamilton relentlessly baring down on him, fighting for the world title, and was actually talking to his pit crew. He held it together enough to continue the chase and get fastest lap and when he got out of the car he congratulated Lewis and was fine. Its easy to be hard on these young men who are in a hugely competitive environment and are hugely competitive beings. Perhaps we should cut them some slack, after all they give us some great Sunday afternoons! Lewis and Seb certainly did yesterday. That was a REAL race.

Have to agree with racecub. Like I've said elsewhere the best attacking driver against the best defensive driver and a hell of a battle - and I forgive him for shouting at the backmarker as he'd just spent 30 laps under immense pressure and having to be consistantly quick in the exact right places to make sure the best overtaker in the business didn't take his chance and get past. I think we should forgive him a little sulk and a moan.

ExtremeNinja - once again you seem to want to suggest Vettel is powered by his car more than his talent - its a common theme with you - I'm not sure how you can judge the Red Bull was the best car and therefore it was Lewis making all the difference. I think Mclaren and Red Bull were pretty even on race pace and Ferrari probably too with Massa actually being quicker of the pair. Where Webber would have finished we don't know. We do know when he went out he was behind Lewis and falling into the clutches of Fernando. Jenson was on a different strategy and down the field so you couldn't compare their pace.

I think you are completely right that on a new circuit the cream rises to the top and it did - Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso are the cream and Red Bull, Ferrari and Mclaren are the 3 cream teams - Where you get the idea one car is so much in front of the other that one is quick due to driver skill and the other is down to the machinary from yesterdays result I don't know.

ExtremeNinja said:
The fact that Webber would likely have finished ahead of both Ferraris and and the second McLaren tells me that the Red Bull was the best car this weekend but we saw that there was nothing between Vettel + Red Bull and Hamilton + McLaren.
Not to take anything away from Hamilton, who did a fantastic job and deserved the win, Webber would have only finished ahead of Button because of Button's mechanical issues in qualifying. In the few laps they were both in clean air, Button was slightly faster while on harder tires. Make of that what you want.

RasputinLives

No I don't. I give Vettel full credit for his drive. I have given my opinion and I stand by it. It's OK if we have opposite views on things but you do not need to dismiss mine as the opposite of your truth. Let's just agree to disagree. Please don't take offense or try to demean me if I am not in agreement with you. Perhaps we have just made different assessments. I am happy with mine and I'm perfectly happy for you to be happy with yours.

RasputinLives

No I don't. I give Vettel full credit for his drive. I have given my opinion and I stand by it. It's OK if we have opposite views on things but you do not need to dismiss mine as the opposite of your truth. Let's just agree to disagree. Please don't take offense or try to demean me if I am not in agreement with you. Perhaps we have just made different assessments. I am happy with mine and I'm perfectly happy for you to be happy with yours.

I was not demeaning you or presenting you as the opposite of the truth. Merely stating I do not know how you drew your conclusion on one hand that the Red Bull was quick due to its design and how on the other the Mclaren was being driven to the same pace due to its pilot. The fact Vettel's speed is down to his car more than others is an opinion you have expressed often and loudly for on this forum so me asking you to give him credit where credit is due is a direct response to that. it was neither a direct attack on your own person or me drawing devil horns on your head and calling you a wrong en. I merely questioned how you came to your conclusions - something that is a common on a forum where people come to debate things.

So we could either debate it in a friendly way, as is the CTA way, or you could go all meta and talk about rights, wrongs, opinons, life, the universe and everything whilst feeling attacked and insulted because someone disagreed with you.

Every time I paint Vettel in a light less than you would paint him, though, you go on the attack. I'd rather you just accepted that I have an opinion. As for not understanding how I drew my conclusion, yours is as mystifying to me. I have been quite clear about my thoughts and how I have arrived at them and you just need to read my posts to see that. It seems more that as you disagree with my rationalisation you label it as irrational. Anyway, I don't want to argue about arguing and we have both made our cases, so if we cannot agree then why not leave it at that? I know how forums work and I know how debate works and so patronising me on that front adds nothing to the credence of your position.

Guys - please agree to disagree and move on otherwise posts will end up being deleted.

Cheers

FB

sorry FB

How many here think Massa might have got himself just behind that battle if he'd started from right place on the grid? boy suddenly looks quick.

Andrew Benson (BBC) has just tweeted that there are two pages of Nascar coverage in the US newspapers and all the usual US sports but nothing at all about F1.

Probably a good battle for third with Webber and then concede to Alonso or hold Webber up for Alonso. I think he could have pulled out a podium. did Massa get to start on new tyres from 11th after his demotion from 6th?

No, Massa had to use the tyres that he set his fastest Q3 time on.

The Sporting Regulation 25.4e states ""At the start of the race each car which took part in Q3 must be fitted with the tyres with which the driver set his grid time".

Andrew Benson (BBC) has just tweeted that there are two pages of Nascar coverage in the US newspapers and all the usual US sports but nothing at all about F1.
Here's a rather lengthily explanation of why would that be. I think the writer of the article is siding with the regular viewers to get his point across. Also, this is a Canadian and not an American newspaper.

Benson needs to read some other US press.
http://www.statesman.com/

Winner Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain wore a black cowboy hat to the awards podium to celebrate his success and the conclusion of the first Formula One race in Austin. » DAY THREE PHOTOS | DAY TWO PHOTOS | DAY ONE PHOTOS | COMPLETE F1 COVERAGE
» VIDEOS: F1: Good Neighbors? | Scene at Fan Fest | Parking in Elroy | Biking to COTA | Helicopter charters over F1
» PHOTOS: Fan Fest | Enrique Iglesias | Juanes | Aerosmith | Flo Rida

On F1’s big day, an Austin success

Despite beer shortages, long shuttle bus lines after the race and delays on some roads leaving the track, fans and drivers were eager to praise the event.
Comments (46)
Formula One Reader Photos

Columnists

Latest Photos & Videos

F1 Fan Fest: Rockin' in the fast lane

International visitors, auto enthusiasts and local music lovers took advantage of the 7 free stages downtown this weekend. Photos: Day 3 | Day 2 | Day 1
» Reviews and Scene reports | Out and About | A-List photos | More F1 Entertainment
Local News

Sports

In this highly scientific test I have determined that 66% of USA news networks have given at least some thought to the race because:
CNN have stories about it on their web-site.
Fox don't have stories about it on their web-site.
The New York Times have stories about it on their web-site.

Caveat:
In 0% of cases was the article one of the main featured stories on the sports front page.

I can do science me.

Back
Top Bottom