Grand Prix 2012 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yeehaw!
Saddle up and let's mosey on down to Texas for the penultimate round of the 2012 season.

(Okay, that's quite enough of that...)

If it wasn't for the fact that Red Bull and Vettel have all but tied both titles up, this would be one of the most exciting ends to a season for a while.

What we should have had is two or three drivers on approximately level points heading to an unknown circuit, which by all accounts looks like it's going to be a challenge for even the best drivers. Turn one in particular is a blind left at the crest of a hill, which could either make or break the race.
Instead, what we have is a dominant Red Bull who need just four points to take the Constructors' title and Sebastian Vettel who only needs to outscore Fernando Alonso by 15 points or more over the next two rounds to take the Drivers'.

The wheels have come off at McLaren with yet another retirement for Hamilton when leading comfortably at Abu Dhabi; this time due to a faulty fuel pump. McLaren have prosecuted a dreadful campaing this year; without doubt they should have been in a position to take both titles and instead they are unlikely to even be runners up in both.
Where did it all go wrong?

Renault scored their first victory of the season with Kimi Räikkönen. Apparently it was "nothing to jump around about" so we'll say no more.

Mercedes had another race to forget with both cars finishing outside the top 10. Again. One has to hope that this is not a precursor to next season's performance and the redesigned car will be a lot more competitive. They may be able to hang on to fifth in the Constructors' but that will be dependent on how many points the Sauber drivers squander, of which Pérez has been doing an admirable job since he signed for McLaren.

Force India and Williams are in their own private battle in both championships but the Force Indias are in the driving seat (thank you, I'm here all week) and look as if they will just have the edge.

Sadly, for another year, the three "new" teams still occupy all of the bottom places. Caterham had an opportunity during last week's race of attrition to jump Marussia into 10th place, which they currently hold thanks to Timo Glock's 12th place finish at Singapore, but Kovalainen was overtaken in the closing stages. The really sad part is I can't see this ever being any different; the step change in performance required to breach the gap just seems to be unattainable.

For those who haven't seen the circuit, this is the view from the start-finish straight to turn one:
austin-straight-jpg.5108

Here's an onboard lap:

Galahad's circuit write up is here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-of-the-americas/

Burgers, weak beer and popcorn are available from the concession stands (OK, OK, I'll stop now :D)

Slyboogy......At no time this season has Ferrari been quicker than Red Bull or McLaren, Alonso has just made it look that way. Both Red Bull and McLaren have dropped the ball so to speak when they had a significant advantage and the opportunity to bury Alonso. Red Bull, all credit to them, did come right allowing Vettel to string together four wins but in reality both Red Bull and McLaren could have shut Alonso out way before now had it not been for errors and reliability issues.

There weren't really any bad drives today, the Mercedes and Saubers were pretty absent (or going backwards) but all front wings and tyres remained in tact, which is a big improvement from Abu Dhabi.

How nice was it to have a genuine battle at the front between two of the best drivers on the grid. For me this is something that has been severely lacking since 2008. Hamilton and Vettel were both faultless and peerless for the whole weekend, pushing each other to the limit.

Button, the Lotus drivers, Williams drivers and Massa were the other highlights. Particularly Massa and Grosjean for me, who were unlucky not to finish ahead of their team mates.

Hamilton did only overtake Vettel on that lap because Vettel was slowed by the back marker. That’s not a criticism, that’s just what happened. An advantage appeared and he took full advantage and made the overtake. Well done Hammy!

Slyboogy......At no time this season has Ferrari been quicker than Red Bull or McLaren, Alonso has just made it look that way.

I also believe Alonso likes to under talk the speed of the car somewhat, it makes him look even the better driver when he gets results then. Ok its not the fastest car, specially in qualifying but its not as bad as its made out to be. And in Massa’s hands it was even faster this weekend.

If Alonso's fans can only cope with Vettel winning by fooling themselves into thinking he was driving a HRT, I'll just enjoy Formula One as it really happens.

WHy do the BBC and others keep on saying that if Raikonnen's pit stop had not been so slow he would have been out in front of Alonso? Isn't it equally the case that if Alonso's pit stop was slow as well? The two cancelled each other out.

WHy do the BBC and others keep on saying that if Raikonnen's pit stop had not been so slow he would have been out in front of Alonso? Isn't it equally the case that if Alonso's pit stop was slow as well? The two cancelled each other out.
It was not that one stop. What the hell happened to Kimi? It seemed like he just on random lost 1s or 2s in some laps.

mnmracer.......Yes I'm an Alonso fan but I also have the good grace to acknowledge great drives from other drivers regardless of whether I'm a fan of theirs or not. As a 64 year old I left fantasy behind a long time ago and I too enjoy F1 as it really happens, regardless of who is winning. Can you say the same?

mnmracer.......Yes I'm an Alonso fan but I also have the good grace to acknowledge great drives from other drivers regardless of whether I'm a fan of theirs or not. As a 64 year old I left fantasy behind a long time ago and I too enjoy F1 as it really happens, regardless of who is winning. Can you say the same?
By claiming Alonso is doing all this in a 7th fastest car, you're greatly diminishing the drivers in the cars you claim have at all times been the fastest. Hell, not even Alonso claims his car is as slow as you do.

mnmracer.......Alonso has constantly said 6th or 7th on the grid has been normal for them. If you read my posting you would have realized I placed the blame for Red Bull and McLaren's inability to shut Alonso out sooner in the championship, was due to errors and unreliability, not a criticism of the drivers, but hey, I'm used to people telling me what I didn't say. :)

That was a great race! I loved the track, there was some great racing all thought the field. And the tyres allowed drivers to push and to race , not drive around conserving them. Please take note for next year Pirelli. I really really enjoyed that, and the result was the icing on the cake :D

I'm with racecub, I love a proper race. Some cracking moves all down the field & for once I don't recall a pass due to pitstops.
It was so refreshing to see Vettel/Hamilton, Webber/Hamilton, Kimi/Jenson, Jenson/most of field(!) actually racing and overtaking on track & not necessarily in the DRS zone.
I'm pleased there wasn't a safety car & who needs spectacular crashes when the racing was so gripping.
I don't think Red Bull/Horner needed to look quite so glum at only winning the WCC yesterday & I'm not Alonso's biggest fan but I would be jumping with joy if he pulled off the triple next week.
Don't get me wrong, Seb is an extremely good driver but he has had the advantage of a 'perfect storm' of brilliant designer, on the edge car (sometimes not so legal IMO) & competitors determined to stuff up their own advantage (mostly McLaren) & has rightly taken full advantage of it.
Driver of the day for me? Massa - took a hit for the team to demote him & scythed through the field like Massa of old to finish directly behind his team-mate, as RS would put it "well done sunshine".

Back
Top Bottom