Grand Prix 2012 United States Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Yeehaw!
Saddle up and let's mosey on down to Texas for the penultimate round of the 2012 season.

(Okay, that's quite enough of that...)

If it wasn't for the fact that Red Bull and Vettel have all but tied both titles up, this would be one of the most exciting ends to a season for a while.

What we should have had is two or three drivers on approximately level points heading to an unknown circuit, which by all accounts looks like it's going to be a challenge for even the best drivers. Turn one in particular is a blind left at the crest of a hill, which could either make or break the race.
Instead, what we have is a dominant Red Bull who need just four points to take the Constructors' title and Sebastian Vettel who only needs to outscore Fernando Alonso by 15 points or more over the next two rounds to take the Drivers'.

The wheels have come off at McLaren with yet another retirement for Hamilton when leading comfortably at Abu Dhabi; this time due to a faulty fuel pump. McLaren have prosecuted a dreadful campaing this year; without doubt they should have been in a position to take both titles and instead they are unlikely to even be runners up in both.
Where did it all go wrong?

Renault scored their first victory of the season with Kimi Räikkönen. Apparently it was "nothing to jump around about" so we'll say no more.

Mercedes had another race to forget with both cars finishing outside the top 10. Again. One has to hope that this is not a precursor to next season's performance and the redesigned car will be a lot more competitive. They may be able to hang on to fifth in the Constructors' but that will be dependent on how many points the Sauber drivers squander, of which Pérez has been doing an admirable job since he signed for McLaren.

Force India and Williams are in their own private battle in both championships but the Force Indias are in the driving seat (thank you, I'm here all week) and look as if they will just have the edge.

Sadly, for another year, the three "new" teams still occupy all of the bottom places. Caterham had an opportunity during last week's race of attrition to jump Marussia into 10th place, which they currently hold thanks to Timo Glock's 12th place finish at Singapore, but Kovalainen was overtaken in the closing stages. The really sad part is I can't see this ever being any different; the step change in performance required to breach the gap just seems to be unattainable.

For those who haven't seen the circuit, this is the view from the start-finish straight to turn one:
austin-straight-jpg.5108

Here's an onboard lap:

Galahad's circuit write up is here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-of-the-americas/

Burgers, weak beer and popcorn are available from the concession stands (OK, OK, I'll stop now :D)

Bill Boddy yes he had a great race, I have critisised Ferrari for keeping him for so long in the past but in the last 3 races he has looked like his old best. I don't know how he has done it but he seems to have his mojo back. Out quallified Alonso and arguably out drove him today as well. Credit where credit is due. I hope he can start 2013 in this same form. A really nice guy and a bloody quick racer when he is on it.

TAKE THAT VETTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Its just that it was the most satisfying overtake of the whole season, the dramatic build-up of not knowing whether it would happen then BAM, overtake. Seeing Vettel beaten at his own game of pure pace made me so so happy.

Some interesting trivia:
  • This is the first time that Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso are on the podium together.
  • Lewis Hamilton is the first man since Ayrton Senna to win the United States Grand Prix at 2 different venues.
  • Every race in North America that Lewis Hamilton participated in, he either won (CAN07, USA07, CAN10, CAN12, USA12) or did not finish (CAN07, CAN11).
  • Age 39, Christian Horner is now the youngest F1 team boss in history to become 3x World Constructor's Champion. Will Sebastian Vettel follow as youngest tripple WDC in brazil?
  • Funny: Americans were singing 'My Country, 'Tis of Thee' when 'God Saves the Queen' played for Lewis.
  • Kimi Raikkonen is now the man with most finishes in a year in Formula One history. Can he join Nick Heidfeld as the last driver to finish all races in a season?

Another good race! Second race I've managed to watch live this season, maybe I should just take Sunday's off now from work all the time! LOL

The circuit seems good, but could the race have been made exciting due to the slippery tarmac rather than anything else? We can only compare it to next year, but looks as if it's a track that will constantly produce close racing, I will reserve my judgement for next year and see what happens then.

A lot of drivers had great races today, Hamilton, Vettel, Massa, Button, Grosjean, Hulkenberg plus the two Williams drivers. Saw several great overtakes too. Unlike the last race, this race was good due to great driving all around rather than poor driving.

Hamilton was great and both McLaren cars seemed hooked up today, he looked excited during the grid walk. Both he and Vettel were equal on pace, but I think the main reason why Hamilton won, was due to the straight line speed, and Khartikeyan's major blunder, otherwise we would have seen a repeat of Spain 2011, when Hamilton was faster than Vettel but couldn't get past. Nevertheless, the win was overdue, he was on it and excellent throughout the whole Grand Prix.

Vettel done extremely well defensively to hold off Hamilton for several laps despite having a slower car and no DRS. With the championship on the line he wasn't given in, despite the percentage game being the more sensible option. Pushed hard even when he got passed, but in the end, Hamilton was just a tad faster, not much, but just enough. Was in my opinion rightly aggrieved by Khartikeyan's misdemeanor, he really does have a bad habit of not getting out of the way of faster cars, and drivers behind, always lose time no matter what.

Alonso, promoted to 7th, and 3rd was the best he was going to get. With Schumacher going backwards, Kimi being slower, and Webber, Massa and Button out of the equation, 3rd was inevitable. Hangs in there, keeps his championship hopes alive. Struggling all weekend, in my opinion, lucky to get 3rd, could have easily been 5th or 6th. Had a quiet race at the start, was no way going to match the front two (I doubt anyone could) as they were in a league of their own.

Massa, possibly driver of the race? Started 11th after his own team decided to demote him down 5 places. Recovered well and had several battles along the way, constantly put in fastest laps to show his pace, 4th was the maximum he was going to achieve after the setback before the start of the race, could have been on the podium. Out-qualified his team-mate, and was consistently faster throughout the weekend.

Button started 12th, and went on a different strategy to others after the unfortunate reliability problem in qualifying. But the strategy he had proved to be great, and he executed it well. Showed the pace of the McLaren, and after being 16th he managed to bring himself to finish 5th.

A poor start saw Raikkonen lose 3 places and try to make them up throughout the race. Didn't seem to have the pace, but pulled a great overtake on Hulkenberg. Could have had an interesting race if the pitstop wasn't slow, as it would have put him ahead of Alonso and Massa, but seemed to be a lonely race after the first stop, and finished in 6th.

After his spin which dropped him down several places, Grosjean somehow managed to salvage a good result in 7th and only a few seconds behind his team-mate. Without the spin he could have been in a good scrap with Massa and Kimi.

8th for Hulkenberg, felt he should have got more of a result after his performance. Great in qualifying and the race. Had great battles with a lot of drivers, Schumacher, Raikkonen, Grosjean and both Williams drivers. Managed to hold of the latter two to hang on to 8th, continues to impress, and with Sauber not scoring for a few races, one must wonder if he made the correct move.

Slipping back constantly at the start and finding himself in 16th-17th at one point. Maldonado managed to recover from that and finished where he started in 9th. Pulled off a daring overtake on his own team-mate, beats Senna again, and has done all the time they both finish in the points. Good recovery after slipping backwards consistently during the first stint.

Could have been more for Senna, but instead of getting 8th, lost 9th to his team-mate. He seemed to have a battle with the whole field excluding the front runners. A good race for him, could it be enough to keep his seat?

It seems to be getting worse and worse for Mercedes, had a good qualifying with Schumacher for their recent standards, who started 5th after getting promoted through Grosjean and Massa's penalties. But still struggling with race pace, and while everyone else could do a one stop, Mercedes had to do two. Falling back at an alarming rate. Not scored points for 6 races in a row now, that's poor, the only saving grace? Sauber continue their poor run too, so finsihing in 5th in the constructors looks near enough cemented.

The last three races at Brazil have been uninspiring. But with rain forecasted for Brazil, we could see another twist to the championship.

Josh......Whether Japan was Alonso's fault or not could be argued about endlessly. My point is that Alonso has had at best the fifth fastest car on the grid, sometimes only the seventh fastest, yet he's the only driver other than Vettel with a chance of taking the title. In reality he should only be fifth at best in the championship which is why I would love to see him take the title though I doubt he'll be able to considering Red Bulls strength. For me, all things considered he's been the class of the field this year and ignoring Japan, had he not been taken out in Spa life would have been much easier for him.

Back
Top Bottom