Pre-Season 2012 New Car Images & Discussion

Unconvinced either way - but with the way the nose lifts is there really room in there for the drivers legs - I know these guys are short, but...

That’s just hideous, why couldn’t the rules allow a sloping nose to the required front height instead of the step all the way back?

Uglier and uglier cars, dull soulless tracks, fake DRS overtaking, corporate speaking drivers.. F1 just gets better every year.

Unconvinced either way - but with the way the nose lifts is there really room in there for the drivers legs - I know these guys are short, but...
I wondered about that.The regulations state the drivers feet must be behind the front axle centre line.
And surely that big hump must play havoc with the arflow over the car.

Didn't someone say in the new nose height regulations thread that we wouldn't really notice a difference in the new lower noses.

That was me LOL Didn't realise that the teams would take the opportunity to make the cars as ugly as possible, my assumption was that there would be a gentle curve down to the new max height (like the 09 Brawn nose). Maybe Mike Gascoyne got his inspiration from a new staircase he had just put in at his house.

pantropical_spotted_dolphin_1.jpg

That was me LOL Didn't realise that the teams would take the opportunity to make the cars as ugly as possible, my assumption was that there would be a gentle curve down to the new max height (like the 09 Brawn nose). Maybe Mike Gascoyne got his inspiration from a new staircase he had just put in at his house.

That’s what I meant when I said I wish the rules would allow it to slope, but I guess all the cars will have those noses or very similar with the new rules, though I hope not.
f1_steppednose-2012.jpg

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/f1-2012-rules-designs-and-trends/

Sorry FB.Couldn't resist. LOL Must say I never expected anything like Gascoyne has come up with.

Canis - I agree with you, the upper fin on the wing definitely looks a lot shorter on one side than the other, the fin with CNN written on it looks twice as long.
It's an ugly brute isn't it, very square for a streamlined car & I'm not keen on the spatula nose.
Would still like to try driving one :)

On a side note, it was extremely shortsighted of Caterham and F1 Racing to not realise that magazine subscribers almost always receive copies a day early.

A bit of a PR disaster all round.

Don't the teams use Focus Groups to find out if a car is liked by the paying public? F1 teams would never survive in the real World would they?

Andrew Benson on Twitter:

I'm told by highly reliable sources that the vast majority of the teams will have similarly ugly noses to the Caterham, owing to regs

Teams objected to original proposal to lower the height of the front bulkhead because of problems in packaging suspension

Back
Top Bottom