Grand Prix 2012 Japanese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Traditonally the title decider but now earlier on the calendar, the F1 circus rolls into Japan with the championship finely poised with Vettel closing in on Alonso despite a setback in Monza. At the moment it's a two horse race with the German and the Spaniard but don't count out Raikkonen and Hamilton just yet, The Finn's incredible consistency has meant he's third in the championship and will be there or thereabouts at the end, particularly if the updates that Lotus are bringing to Japan benefit. Hamilton is in one of the fastest cars on the grid (if not the quickest) and was robbed off a probably win (certainly at least second) in Singapore with gearbox problems and the loss of 25 points has threatened to derail his championship. With 6 races to go he's 50 points behind Alonso. The only benefit for Hamilton, and indeed Raikkonen and Vettel is that Alonso isn't in the fastest car. The only reason that Alonso has been on the podium in recent races is from DNF's from other drivers and also the sheer skill of the Spaniard to drag an average car to places it shouldn't be and that is why he's top of the championship with a reasonable margain, but it's certainly not comfortable and I expect the title to go to the final race in Brazil.

In Singapore, McLaren and Red Bull were the class of the field and I think this will continue in Japan where both teams have been traditionally strong in recent years with Red Bull winning in 2009 and 2010 and McLaren in 2011 with Hamilton taking a podium in 2009. The worrying thing for Ferrari is the hit and miss pace of Sauber and Williams as Perez took 3 points off Alonso in Monza and Maldonado could have taken the final podium place until he had to retire in what was his best drive since Spain. What's interesting also is that with the 4 drivers going for the championship, they are all from different teams and how the 'other' drivers do (Webber, Massa, Button, Grosjean) do will have a significant impact on the championship. Romain Grosjean has already managed that when he took out Hamilton and Alonso at the first corner in Belgium, this enabled Vettel to close 18 points on Alonso, something that is unlikely to happen again this season (such a big swing anyway, unless there are more DNF's).

Races in Suzuka have generally been sunny and dry, but in 2004 and 2010 qualifying was held on Sunday morning due to conditions the day before so rain isn't an impossibility although the last wet race at Suzuka was in 1995 with the last wet race of any kind in Japan being in 2007 with the downpours at Fuji which provided a classic race in the torrential rain. Ferrari will be praying for rain as generally this season it's where they've been able to maximise their car as 2 of Alonso's 3 wins have come in rain affected weekends in Malaysia and Germany. Considering the amount of wet practices/qualifying we've had this season, there hasn't been that many wet races with only Malaysia being wet (not including Monaco as it was still too dry for intermediates at the end of the race).

The Japan/Korea double header will have a big say in the title fight if nothing else than to decide if it's going to be a 2 horse fight or a 3/4 way fight. Certainly Hamilton can't afford any more DNF's and Raikkonen needs to win at some point, although a DNF or a low points score for Alonso would blow the championship wide open and this would play into the hands of Vettel who in my opinion is the favourite for the title at the moment unless Ferrari can find more pace in that Ferrari as Vettel is roughly only one wins worth of points from Alonso and he has the car and the speed to compete for the win at all remaining races. But then I think him and Hamilton are the only two capable of that, the big difference is is that Hamilton is a further 30 points down the road, it's superbly poised, a lot better than this time 12 months ago when the Championship was all but over with Vettel leading by over 100 points

Suzuka circuit write up - http://cliptheapex.com/pages/suzuka-international-racing-course/

Flexing components that gain an aero advantage are illegal, though fans are unusual creatures. When something that's questionable regarding the rules is reported to the FIA by Ferrari, it's politics and accusations are leveled at Ferrari, yet a year or so ago when Red Bulls front wing was flexing and McLaren among others drew the FIA's attention to it, Red Bull were accused of cheating almost universally on every forum on the web. In this case it appears the wing is flexing horizontally rather than vertically, whether it's deemed to be illegal or not, I would consider it perfectly reasonable for Ferrari to ask the question. I can't figure out why Ferrari are the ones being criticized considering they've done nothing requiring their cars being checked by the FIA. It also appears it may not be a difficult concept to copy so even greater reason to ask the FIA for a clarification. Red Bulls version of the McLaren wing is evidently considerably more radical. What I'm finding most interesting about this story, especially since Christian Horner usually has plenty to say when any of Red Bulls technology is questioned, is the silence from the Red Bull camp is deafening.

Kewee... do you have a link to a story or article where Horner was quizzed about the Ferrari request of the FIA... I did a quick look across a few websites and cannot find anything

Exchange during the Thursday presser.... words in blue are mine...:snigger:

Q. (Dan Knutson - Honorary) Lewis, you may have covered this with the Brits(British press), but we weren't privy to be there. In life, when you make a big decision, many of us, once it's made, you can relax because good, bad or indifferent, it's done so do you feel calmer now, that the decision is made?
LH:Absolutely, yeah, I feel fantastic. Very very happy and excited and grateful that I can now just focus on these next six races. I know there's a lot of work ahead of me. I know I'm leaving a very very good car for this guy (Perez) to step into...
SP: Thank you.
LH: Yeah. Trust me, it will be a good car next year as well, I know. I know exactly what's going on next year with your car and so does Mercedes

LOL

Kewee... do you have a link to a story or article where Horner was quizzed about the Ferrari request of the FIA... I did a quick look across a few websites and cannot find anything
There's nothing Zak. That's what I meant when I said the silence is deafening. I makes me wonder whether Red Bull are worried and trying not to draw attention to themselves.

Or no-one's simply interviewed Red Bull about it yet, just as no-one seems to have interviewed Ferrari about it either. The 'race weekend' has only just started.

Edit: Beaten by Zak.

T'wil be interesting to see what if any similarities there might be... stakes are significantly higher when swapping top teams in F1 than almost any other profession... except maybe sides in a war...

All will be revealed late January 2013...

Off topic for the thread, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a Mercedes engineer over the next few weeks comes up with an identical solution to that which has already been designed for the McLaren car.

Of course that would be impossible to prove that it wasn't without some information provided by Hamilton.

Let's face it, team members taking IP with them to other teams has been going on for a long, long time.

To be honest I don't think there is that much that Lewis can take with him, consider that Lewis is not an engineer he is a driver whilst he may have a rudimentary knowledge of the car it is just that rudimentary he has no specific knowledge of any one detail.

Now consider that Valentino Rossi left Yamaha and took his whole engineering team with him to Ducati including the don himself Jeremy Burgess and what he doesn't know about the Yamaha or any bike just is't worth knowing and after three years of trying not even he with his whole team of engineers could get that Ducati to be a race winner.

On top of this when Lewis leaves the team next years car is nowhere near the finished product in fact it won't be the finished product when it hits the test track next year and it won't even be the finished product at the first race of next season.

With all this in mind what can Lewis possibly tell the Mercedes designer that will be of any use?

Mephistopheles As Hamilton has often said himself, he helped design the McLaren steering wheel amongst other things. To quote Martin Whitmarsh, “We said nobody was ever going to turn up as a rookie better-prepared, physically and in terms of technical knowledge." Hamilton has had 6 years in F1 to build on that technical knowledge so I imagine there are things he can contribute to. As I posted in the Hamilton thread, Ross Brawn said himself that Hamilton would be part of the engineering team at Mercedes.

As you say yourself, when he actually joins Mercedes the car won't be the finished product so there's ample time for him to contribute. None of us have any idea what Hamilton or any other driver could contribute in terms of car design, but the simple fact that he did help design elements of the McLaren car would indicate that he'll likely want to and be able to help with elements of the design of future Mercedes cars.

Mods you may want to move this since it's off topic.

Choosing were the buttons go on a steering wheel is hardly rocket science it is just a matter of preference, and doesn't make the car go faster.. Also I didn't say that he wouldn't have an input on design but they will only be from a drivers preference point of view, and not an aerodynamic, suspension geometry or any other kind of engineering element.

And I was talking about taking design features to Mercedes not input, Lewis isn't the only driver ever to have changed teams....

From the official F1 site, "On their Monaco qualifying laps in 2010, the drivers made approximately 50 control inputs on the steering wheel. The systems for 2011 have added around 20 inputs per lap, between DRS activation and precisely timed KERS boosts." When you consider doing all that before you even get to gears, steering or throttle and brake control I'd say where the buttons go might just affect lap time.

When Formula One is your life, and 90% of that life is spent with engineers I imagine there are specific things one might pick up and remember when joining a new team, like Alonso influencing the Ferrari design. As Zak posted above from the press conference, LH: "Yeah. Trust me, it will be a good car next year as well, I know. I know exactly what's going on next year with your car.

Neither you or I have any idea what level of understanding Hamilton has of F1 engineering so you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but as none of us are qualified to answer your question I'll just left it there.

At the risk of having my cake and eating it... you're both right.

Hamilton will be an essential part of the engineering team; his feedback will influence design direction because the whole point is to deign a car that allows your driver too go faster than the others. That input cannot be instinctive alone; there has to be some technical understanding to communicate effectively... Lewis needs to know the language to a degree; just as good engineers can interpret the drivers feedback.

It is worth remembering that Nico has / or is working towards an aero degree so clearly has a valuable and valid input too.

I have never met anyone who is successful in their chosen field who hasn't also been very intelligent and had a deep understanding of how things work in what they do.

Back on track... I'm rooting for Button :)

Button fastest in FP1 but he nearly ended up in Tokyo....

He was about to get on a train and a fan asked him for his autograph (Yes he's big in Japan alright.) Jenson gave him the autograph and the fan said "Why are you going to Tokyo?" which is when Jenson realised he was on the wrong platform and about to catch the wrong train..ROFL

Thumbs up to that fan..:thumbsup:

Yep I'm still up and will be all night I'm in training for the weekend....

Great time here in NZ. 2.00 in the afternoon. Second session starts at 6.00pm. :) Should be interesting. Ferrari seem to be testing either lots of different parts or lots of different settings on Alonso's car. He did one flying lap straight after his instillation lap with a first sector time of 33.7. That was before any rubber was layed down. The nearest anyone else came to that was Button with a first sector of 33.9, two tenths slower and much later in the session. A combination of Alonso's best sector times from the session left him only a tenth off Button. I think we'll see a much quicker Ferrari in second practice.

Back
Top Bottom