Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

This has been explained before. The use of it in qualifying is purely to stop teams having very short 7th gears, which would make the DRS pointless in the race anyway. I'm all for a ban in qualifying, but there needs to be suggestions on how to solve this problem.

I got beaten to it, but it was equally well explain by no-FIAt-please. :p

Could allow teams different gear ratios for qualifying and the race. However it would have to be stipulated that the gear selections must still be made before qualifying to stop teams from changing their ratios when the see a very fast (straightline speed) car behind them on the grid.

Good suggestion, although I'd still prefer just to have DRS in qualifying. I like the fact there is sacrifice in gear ratio choice. It seems that the main reason people don't want DRS in quali is because they see it as pointless, but as we've pointed out, it is not, so might as well keep it. No problems.

Pah! Why not just make 7th gear longer? Or am I being unusually dim and duntish today...:thinking:

Not sure what you are asking? Simply put, teams will want to hit the rev limiter right at the end of the straight. When DRS is active, they will hit it earlier, because they are going quicker. Therefore if no DRS in quali, they will set the rev limiter so they hit it for the end of the straight and when they activate DRS in the race, they will hit the rev limiter a lot earlier and have there speed limited to the end of the straight, making the advantage not enough for an overtake. It is why Lewis got stuck behind Vettel at Spain last year. There is an interview I posted the other day where he said he was arguing for a longer 7th gear.

At least this is how I've always seen it.

Surely DRS was originally introduced as an overtaking aid, not a "get more speed in qualifying" aid though? It's the inconsistency of its application between qualifying and the race I find irritating - either let the drivers use it at will all the time through qualifying and the race, or just in the DRS zones for each session. KERS is limited to 6.7s per lap, so why not limit DRS the same way? It's up to the drivers to then apply it sensibly/tactically - if they spin out as a result of injudicious application, then tough titty - them's the breaks!

Edit - I thought Lewis got stuck behind Seb at Barcelona due to having too short a 7th gear?

Pah! Why not just make 7th gear longer? Or am I being unusually dim and duntish today...:thinking:

By making 7th gear too long you are not exploiting the true speed of the car. It's true that you'll have a higher top speed than most but it you would never reach those speeds because it would take too long. That's why teams optimise their 7th gear for speeds slightly higher than the speed they would need at a circuits longest circuit, because this allows the car to reach the highest speed it could acheive on a circuit, keep acceleration to that speed at a reasonable rate and have those extra few mph should you need to activate the DRS because then you can use the DRS without hitting the rev limiter straightaway.

This ignores the problem we are discussing though. There is no way teams would set up their 7th gears for DRS if they didn't use it in qualifying, which would make DRS pointless in the race.

Then don't make it too long then! :p Long enough to cope with DRS/non-DRS perhaps - not beyond the whit of some of these F1 chaps, surely?

I am reminded somehow of the scene from Spinal Tap: "...these go up to 11..."

By making 7th gear too long you are not exploiting the true speed of the car. It's true that you'll have a higher top speed than most but it you would never reach those speeds because it would take too long. That's why teams optimise their 7th gear for speeds slightly higher than the speed they would need at a circuits longest circuit, because this allows the car to reach the highest speed it could acheive on a circuit, keep acceleration to that speed at a reasonable rate and have those extra few mph should you need to activate the DRS because then you can use the DRS without hitting the rev limiter straightaway.

Spot on. Gear ratios are all about hitting the optimal possible revs at the end of the straight. Those lights you see on a drivers steering wheel, moving to the center, tells them when to shift up. When it hits the red they are at the optimal revs for that gear.

To sum it up. Basically you have to have DRS in qualifying if you want it in the race. Otherwise you will make it all but useless in the race because the gear ratios will be too short. Only way around it is to have seperate gear ratios for Saturday and Sunday.

Then don't make it too long then! :p Long enough to cope with DRS/non-DRS perhaps - not beyond the whit of some of these F1 chaps, surely?

I am reminded somehow of the scene from Spinal Tap: "...these go up to 11..."

It isn't that they can't make it long enough to cope with DRS, it is that they would choose not to knowing they were unlikely to use DRS very often over a weekend. It isn't like the spinal tap thing because the ratios are actually moving, 11 isn't just 10 in disguise. Love the reference though. One of the best comedies, ever! :D

To sum it up. Basically you have to have DRS in qualifying if you want it in the race. Otherwise you will make it all but useless in the race because the gear ratios will be too short. Only way around it is to have seperate gear ratios for Saturday and Sunday.

I personally think this is a non-issue for F1 fans. It is more of a problem for the drivers and safety concerns, but as you say, it isn't feasible. There should always be an element of sacrifice between Quali and Raceday. Looks like that is going to be truer this year than ever.

Makes sense. Mclaren sending Gary Paffett to Force India, Ferrari already have Jules Bianchi at Force India, and Toro Rosso obviously have the Red Bull test drivers driving in races. Ricciardo even drove for Hispania last year, of course. Outsourcing drivers is standard in F1 these days.

Can't wait. Think I might go to bed at 8pm, as I'm up for 9 (well 1:30), but can't sleep after. Is that sad. :p

Does anyone know why FP1 coverage is starting so early and running on for 20 minutes after? I hope Sky aren't going to waste our time with unnecessary filler. Think I'll start watching from 1 this week, but if they just try to fill time I'm out of it. Shame Sky Sports News isn't still on freeview. They could've used Free Practice to lure fans in.

I hope Sky aren't going to waste our time with unnecessary filler.
Err, just tune in at the exact time then if you don't want to watch any "filler" :s

It's a dedicated channel, of course they're going to have longer programs than the BBC.
I for one will be glad to see some preamble and wrap, unlike last year when the stream started and stopped at the exact times.

Back
Top Bottom