Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

You're point about who to thank for Williams' improvement has got me thinking a bit Galahad:
I have to wonder what the effect of the new Renault engine is in the Williams. (if only we could stick it in last years car and see what happens!) The teams that use the Cosworth are the slowest, and when Williams switch they jump forward by some distance. I accept the counter argument that Caterham did not significantly jump forward when they made the same switch from 2010 to 2011 but I think it is still an interesting consideration. Is much officially in the public domain about the engines? All I can recall is small snippets (e.g. Merc the most powerful, Renault most smooth out of corners, Ferrari in between the two, etc.)

If it is true that the switch from Cosworth has had a hand in their move up the grid, what would that mean for Marussia and HRT? (probably assuming too much now though!)

I've heard it said that the Cosworth is actually more powerful than the Renault in peak power terms, but with greatly inferior fuel consumption and heat rejection. Williams are certainly sporting more svelte radiators this season.

The truth is that there is very little in the public domain about the respective engines. The lack of prolonged or insistent bleating suggests they're pretty close though.

Ok thank you for that Galahad - pretty much dismisses my theory then :embarrassed:

I hadn't heard the Cosworth spoken of like that before but it is good to know what is believed about each engine. The only counter point is would we expect (or respect) if HRT/Marussia were complaining about their engine? I somewhat doubt it. Williams voted with their feet (although this possibly had other motivations as well).

Just been reading an Autosport subs article by Adam Cooper talking to Paddy Lowe. A very interesting point is brought up that, baring in mind a driver would gain around 10 seconds in the situation of pitting on the lap the safety car is called out, rather than the lap directly before - if Hamilton had of pitted the lap after (and the same as Vettel) then he may have jumped Button. That would have lead to a pretty interesting end to the race!

No, it was standard McLaren strategy, the lead driver gets the first go at the pit stop.
Lead driver gets to choose when he pits. And thats as it should be. But where do you draw the line? Lead driver says his tyres are good and he's happy on them for another six laps. Second driver has been in dirty air and his tyres are dropping off now, he needs to pit. So what do you do? Lead driver gets first call yes, but he shouldnt dictate second drivers strategy or compromise him unneccessarily. Im not saying thats what happened on Sunday, but its a potential scenario. You cant leave driver number two stranded.

Dear McLaren, my contract is up for renewal and I'd like the new one to give me the choice of when to pit.
Dear driver, we cannot agree to that, but would like to remind you that we are one of the most successful constructors ever and that has always been our policy.
Dear McLaren, where do I sign?

Lead driver gets to choose when he pits. And thats as it should be. But where do you draw the line? Lead driver says his tyres are good and he's happy on them for another six laps. Second driver has been in dirty air and his tyres are dropping off now, he needs to pit. So what do you do? Lead driver gets first call yes, but he shouldnt dictate second drivers strategy or compromise him unneccessarily. Im not saying thats what happened on Sunday, but its a potential scenario. You cant leave driver number two stranded.
I agree. The lead driver obviously gets first dabs if they both wish to come in on the same lap but if not and the second driver needs to pit earlier then I'd be absolutely amazed if they coudn't.

By all accounts, Hamilton wanted to come in but Button had already chosen that lap so he had to stay out.
If he (Hamilton) had asked to come in a lap earlier, I'm sure the team would have permitted it.

Dear McLaren, my contract is up for renewal and I'd like the new one to give me the choice of when to pit.
Dear driver, we cannot agree to that, but would like to remind you that we are one of the most successful constructors ever and that has always been our policy.
Dear McLaren, where do I sign?
Not sure what you're on about. First driver gets the call, no arguement with that. I dont think you read my post properly. Anyway, Jenson's already signed his contact.

I read what you wrote, Just because my post was immediately following yours doesn't mean it's aimed at your opinion, my point is that no McLaren driver will ever get a contract to change their policy. It's been seen time and again that sometimes this disadvantages a driver, but any driver signing for McLaren should know this. Swings and roundabouts? Moral, be ahead of your team mate.

By all accounts, Hamilton wanted to come in but Button had already chosen that lap so he had to stay out.
If he (Hamilton) had asked to come in a lap earlier, I'm sure the team would have permitted it.
Thats fair enough. I thought they'd kept Lewis out for 3 laps. It just got me thinking generally about this issue. If a driver was due in on,say lap 15 but the other driver got a puncture, would that override the due in driver? Im just wondering how flexible this is. And also when does the lead driver choose? Does he jsut wait till he's ready or does he pick a lap?

I read what you wrote, Just because my post was immediately following yours doesn't mean it's aimed at your opinion, my point is that no McLaren driver will ever get a contract to change their policy. It's been seen time and again that sometimes this disadvantages a driver, but any driver signing for McLaren should know this. Swings and roundabouts? Moral, be ahead of your team mate.
I dont think any driver wants to change McLarens policy. Button has talked generally about it being easier to win the champioship if you are a clear number one but I think he knows Mclaren wont do that.

Spot on Tranq

I wish I could double like that post, the best I can do though is to like then unlike then like a few times

When Kimi can't even be bothered to give two word plus answers after a race when he is upset about something, well it's just the cool unemotional iceman and that's fine, that's impressive moody, but More emotional Lewis has to wear a fake smile for everyone or he is messing up again
I also seem to remember a certain Barrichello taking a few mega strops over the years including once bouncing his maga expensive steering wheel off the tarmac and into the path of another car. If Hamilton did that it would be debated in Parliament never mind on this forum !! LOL

I understand the McLaren policy but it baffles me somewhat as we frequently saw (particularly with Button) last season a difference in pit stop strategy. However this was often due to such different positions I guess. If both drivers want to come in on the same lap - fine, but Sunday appeared to me that Button and/or his crew decided Hamilton's strategy.

How long has this been Mclaren policy?
Australia..........2yrs ago....JB didn't have track position & just went in for tyre change on Lap 9.
Ted Kravitz was in the Macca garage & said that was a late call, the team were not ready.
He went on to win...but JB had tangled with FA at the first corner... LH ran wide onto the grass to allow JB back in the race
When Lewis has the upper hand, he treats his team mate

I've just watched the BBC highlights of yesterdays race, EJ said "He (LH) stayed on the LHS...just a fraction too long,
he made it so easy for Jenson."

Well amongst other things.... Lewis has been into a Canadian wall to avoid hitting Jenson.

Time for gloves off.....

Lewis will have to win by a good ole boy country mile to get any kind of justice in this here part of the sporting world

Best he just cashes his cheques and be glad he actually, by accident, got away with it in 2008

LOL

(this is a joke btw)

Yeah then I can not go on it. Frankly this "the whole world is against Lewis" stuff is getting old. He lost on Sunday - get over it

Ok thank you for that Galahad - pretty much dismisses my theory then :embarrassed:

I hadn't heard the Cosworth spoken of like that before but it is good to know what is believed about each engine. The only counter point is would we expect (or respect) if HRT/Marussia were complaining about their engine? I somewhat doubt it. Williams voted with their feet (although this possibly had other motivations as well).

I don't know whether any rumours about this can be relied upon. Since two teams have gone from Cosworth to Renault, and we can probably assume the Renault is more expensive, I'm sure it plays a part in improving competitiveness. Equally though, I think any difference is probably a very small one. When Williams were with Cosworth, Patrick Head and others were effusive in their praise for the engines - and while some F1 folk would lie through their teeth to please a partner, I don't think PH was one of them.

Back
Top Bottom