Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

I understand the McLaren policy but it baffles me somewhat as we frequently saw (particularly with Button) last season a difference in pit stop strategy. However this was often due to such different positions I guess. If both drivers want to come in on the same lap - fine, but Sunday appeared to me that Button and/or his crew decided Hamilton's strategy.

I understand the McLaren policy but it baffles me somewhat as we frequently saw (particularly with Button) last season a difference in pit stop strategy. However this was often due to such different positions I guess. If both drivers want to come in on the same lap - fine, but Sunday appeared to me that Button and/or his crew decided Hamilton's strategy.

No, it was standard McLaren strategy, the lead driver gets the first go at the pit stop.

Thanks for posting that Brogan. I didn't realise so much information was avaliable. Whose service is that? Who needs commentary with that much team radio. Very interesting. Judging by the speed traps at the weekend, Mclaren were running a short 7th gear. Obviously anticipated the pole. Sounds like both cars spent the race fuel saving too.

Also from radio commentary, it sounds like Kimi's complaints of blue flags was a common problem to many teams. Jenson's radio said there was a problem with the system.

You obviously took my post rather personally. Was it necessary to direct an insult to me on an open forum?
Actually, don't bother responding. I have no intention in continuing any exchange with you on this.

The only part of my post that could even be conceived as "insulting you" was the first sentence, where I said that people who keep on criticising Hamilton's body language wear me down. You were obviously the example in this case but it was nothing personal and everything else I said was simply my opinion on the matter. I don't see how it's any different to you saying that someone else wears you down. So if I was insulting you then you were insulting Lewis Hamilton.

There's a difference in expressing an opinion and saying "someone irritates me" (none insult) than actually insulting someone by saying something like "you're an idiot".

To clarify I do not have anything personal against you as an individual, but maybe next time before you start moaning about something that irritates you, take a second to think that what you're writing might irritate other people?

Fast forward to 12:10 and you'll see why Heikki got the penalty.

Brogan this is great where did you get this from? I assume it's Sky Sports and one of the viewing options? So you can hear all radio and see inside the garages?

It's confusing me because it's just skipping through random laps?

It's not my recording, I just grabbed it from the net.

It is Sky though, I believe they have an option for split screen viewing like that.

That's really my point - I strongly suspect the Williams is faster than the Ferrari, perhaps considerably so. It may be as good as, or better than, the Lotus as well. Yet I fear that the failure of Williams' drivers to access that speed consistently, or score the points that the car should, will obscure this. That's my feeling, and I hope in time I'm proved wrong.
So I'm provisionally giving credit to Coughlan et al.

You're point about who to thank for Williams' improvement has got me thinking a bit Galahad:
I have to wonder what the effect of the new Renault engine is in the Williams. (if only we could stick it in last years car and see what happens!) The teams that use the Cosworth are the slowest, and when Williams switch they jump forward by some distance. I accept the counter argument that Caterham did not significantly jump forward when they made the same switch from 2010 to 2011 but I think it is still an interesting consideration. Is much officially in the public domain about the engines? All I can recall is small snippets (e.g. Merc the most powerful, Renault most smooth out of corners, Ferrari in between the two, etc.)

If it is true that the switch from Cosworth has had a hand in their move up the grid, what would that mean for Marussia and HRT? (probably assuming too much now though!)

LOL at the end of that video with Ted he goes and talks to some fans dressed up as Lego people cause the cars look like Lego with the stepped noses and then he sees one Lego person that is a McLaren and shouts at them saying "No but the McLaren doesn't look like a Lego car, you've got it wrong!" haha.

Back
Top Bottom