• Timo Glock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Charles Pic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Boyle

Race Winner
Contributor
So, for those of us who set the alarm or stayed up, we were treated to an enthralling race in which a dominant Jenson Button took the opening chequered flag.

But who else impressed in the season's opening weekend Down Under? And was it for a consistently fast weekend or for a splendid drive during the race?

As mentioned, Button was majestic out in front as he streaked away from firstly Hamilton and then Vettel after the safety car. Lewis grabbed pole but a poor start and bad luck at the safety car cost him a chance at victory. Seb himself had an underwhelming Friday and Saturday but made up for it in the race, the highlight for him being a brilliant overtake on Rosberg, who himself along with his teammate had a good pre-race weekend but it didn't materialise on Sunday. Alonso, Räikkönen, Kobayashi and Perez all had excellent races but poor qualifying performances may have cost them further points. Maldonado had an extremely strong weekend for Williams but binned it into the wall on the last lap which cost Williams more points than they scored all last season. And Mark Webber managed to achieve his highest position at his home GP!

Anyone else who deserves a vote?

A tough choice. I would have voted Maldonado if he wasn't such a plonker on the last lap. Button was excellent in the race but he wasn't great in qualifying.

My vote goes to Perez, started way back due to his gearbox and finished in 8th, less than 3 seconds away from his team-mate in 6th!

Button. Other drivers had an average weekend, a bad qualifying/good race or a good qualifying/bad race.
Jenson didn't manage to beat Hamilton in qually but then again none of us really expect him to and he still stuck it on the front row.

I was torn between Kimi and Button but Kimi cocked up his qualifying big time so went for Button It seems to me once Button gets in the grove he is faultless..

Has to be Jenson Button. Qualified on the front row, lead for nearly every lap of the race, fastest lap, race win a near perfect weekend.Also a shout out for Alonso who dragged his Ferrari up to 5th after a pretty dismal weekend.

I've gone for Alonso - his car seems to have been dragged kicking and screaming to the finish line. I suspect he gained more that Vettel with the safety car as he was fighting a mommoth battle to get the Ferrari home, but excellent drive... oh, and you may not have noticed (much) - soundly beat his teammate too.

Has to be Jenson Button. Qualified on the front row, lead for nearly every lap of the race, fastest lap, race win a near perfect weekend.Also a shout out for Alonso who dragged his Ferrari up to 5th after a pretty dismal weekend.
I just read the official F1 web site about Jenson's win and they called his drove "pluperfect" now I don't know about anyone else but I had to look that word up and apparently it means "beyond perfect" I personally don't think something can be beyond perfect..

Between Alonso, Perez and Button for me. Alonso for driving the wheels off that Ferrari, Perez for only doing one stop and still finishing eighth after starting last, but it has to be Button for beating a very fast Hamilton fair and square, then controlling the race even after the safety car period.

I've gone for Alonso (the old enemy to me as a Lewis fan) as he demolished his teammate and proved he can make the most of a bad car. If he keeps doing it though I might just suspect the car isn't as bad as all that!

Alonso :) To quote Martin brundle.. "Give him a wheelie bin without the wheel and he would still be competitive"ROFL

12th to 5th.
Kept two red bulls at bay in the first stint, out raced Webber and stayed ahead of him for 15 laps or so and also kept Vettel honest too as he managed to slot in just behind him after he pitted for Medium tyres. Did brilliantly well to fend off Madanado near the end who i believe was sat in a faster car at that point of the race. Bit of a shame Pastor binned it near the end as i though he was doing exceptionally up until he crashed out.

Alonso - just does what he does, just seems possessed every time he's in a car, but then there's the qualifying mistake.

Button - drove a great race, but one thing that irks me and is not Button's fault, is the leader gets to choose to pit and the driver behind has to wait, I remember Red Bull had this at some point, but they've seemed to changed, so think that might have aided him, will probably aid Hamilton in the near future. But he still drove well nevertheless.

Maldonado - Great qualifying, and Alonso never seemed to lose him, but had a horrible crash at the end.

Perez - Can't fault him for qualifying, wasn't his fault. Came from last on the grid to finish 8th despite being on a one stopper and horribly slow at times.

Think I will give it to Perez. :)

Button for me; an excellent display of race-management from the front.

Shout outs to Romain Grosjean for an excellent qualifying before being punted off, Michael Schumacher for a decent qualifying before stopping and to Fernando Alonso for getting a red pushbike home in fifth.

As much as I respect his skill and determination, how anyone can vote for Alonso is beyond me. He binned it in qualifying. Maldonado? Crashed into Grosjean early on and and then threw away 6 points on the last lap. Yes, that's 3 more points than Williams scored for the entire 2011 season.

As much as I respect his skill and determination, how anyone can vote for Alonso is beyond me. He binned it in qualifying. Maldonado? Crashed into Grosjean early on and and then threw away 6 points on the last lap. Yes, that's 3 more points than Williams scored for the entire 2011 season.

Alonso did make a mistake in qualifying but it's the race that matters. When you compare his qualifying pace and race performance to Massa in the same difficult car, it's pretty impressive what he achieved. I think he was a close 2nd behind Button for driver of the weekend. Maldonado on the other hand I agree, he shouldn't have thrown away those points on the last lap.

Back
Top Bottom