Grand Prix 2011 Spanish Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so on to Spain, after the anti climax that was Turkey, it seems that no-one can stop Vettel as he marched to his 3rd win in 4 races and is in dominant form as we head to the Iberian peninsula. Despite the highest amount of overtakes since records began (126), a lot of people were questioning how authentic these overtakes were due to their artificial nature because of the DRS. The Spanish Grand Prix hasn't been known for its overtakes, indeed this is a track where more often than not, the driver who gets pole goes on to win so thats the race in the bag for Vettel. In 2010 the race was won by Mark Webber in the first of back to back wins from Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel. lewis Hamilton was on course for second until a wheel rim failure with two laps to go.

After a dominant performance in Turkey, Red Bull will be aiming at another one two in Spain, and on current form and given the nature of the track it is hard to see past the Red Bulls from extending their championship lead. However Ferrari and particularly Alonso have showed that Red Bull won't have it their own way and no doubt Alonso will be boosted by a capacity crowd all cheering him on. Mclaren planned to bring updates to Turkey but abandoned them and instead will introduce them this weekend to plug the ever increasing gap with Hamilton currently second in the drivers championship, over 30 points behind Vettel.

Mercedes were Jekyll and Hyde in Turkey and its not exactly hard to figure out who was who. Mercedes Rosberg has shown improved form recently and has been mixing with the Mclarens and Ferraris and with continued development, Mercedes will be confident of a top 5 finish this weekend.

Renault have seemed to have fallen back recently with Heidfeld and Petrov in the lower reaches of the points, their podium form of Australia and Malaysia now seems a distant memory and have now been overtaken by Mercedes in the development battle. In the midfield it is really tightening up as Toro Rosso have found a speed boost with Buemi claiming points in Turkey and Kobyashi coming from last on the grip to claim a top 10 position with Force India not holding the same level of competitiveness as the first few races with Di Resta's first DNF of his career.

While Team lotus didn't gain the jump that they hoped, they have high hopes that this weekend is the one where they establish themselves as a solid midfield runner while Virgin and HRT continue to fight it out over who gets the wooden spoon.

With the arguments over DRS raging on, no doubt we will see a circuit record of overtakes as cars breeze past each other down the main straight but if only one thing is certain it is that Red Bull will be right at the front barring major developments (or crashes)

For Galahads excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-catalunya/

oh right yeah I did I thought you meant speed traps, it still might explain it in part though, isn't most of the straight in sector 1?

Sector 1 has turns 1 2 and 3, all high speed turns. This suggests McLaren could not take turn 3 flat out, whereas a few other teams could. Strange because I thought their car, with more downforce, should be able to take it flat. They are not slow on the straights, they are about 6 - 7 KPH faster than the Bulls.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/esp-qualifying-trap.pdf

I've been devoid of F1 knowledge for most of this past week thanks to the internet going down so I haven't been up to date on all things F1, and I missed practice but I turned on the TV to see qualifying and catch up and the first thing I see is a replay of a burning Nick Heidfeld. It is, however, worth pointing out that we are hours from witnessing an event that transcends sport and crosses over in the very historical makeup of the universe. Nick Heidfeld with all those tyres in 24th place. Ladies and gentlemen I hope our friend Quick Nick is given at least equal coverage to that of the honourable gentleman Kamui's drive in Turkey.

Prep your diaphragm, you're in for a bumpy ride.

I've been devoid of F1 knowledge for most of this past week thanks to the internet going down so I haven't been up to date on all things F1, and I missed practice but I turned on the TV to see qualifying and catch up and the first thing I see is a replay of a burning Nick Heidfeld. It is, however, worth pointing out that we are hours from witnessing an event that transcends sport and crosses over in the very historical makeup of the universe. Nick Heidfeld with all those tyres in 24th place. Ladies and gentlemen I hope our friend Quick Nick is given at least equal coverage to that of the honourable gentleman Kamui's drive in Turkey.

Prep your diaphragm, you're in for a bumpy ride.
Yeah Kobayashi hardly seemed to get any coverage cos there was so much else going on - I hope they show every single bit of Heidfeld progress tomorrow cos thats gonna be a show. Unless he gets pranked by fegelain ;)

Whats with all the sniping at Petrov.
Look where he qualified and who is only just ahead of him.

Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m20.981s
2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m21.181s + 0.200
3. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m21.961s + 0.980
4. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m21.964s + 0.983
5. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m21.996s + 1.015
6. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m22.471s + 1.490
7. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m22.599s + 1.618
8. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m22.888s + 1.907
9. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m22.952s + 1.971
10. Michael Schumacher Mercedes

Petrov did a very good job, was the best of the non Ferrari/Red Bull/Mclaren teams and beat Massa as well

Yes, sportsman, Petrov did an excellent job today. That LRGP probably is not faster than a Mercedes or a Ferrari, although I do think Alonso was flattering La Roja today.

By the way, HRT are becoming a real antagonist of Virgin, aren't they? After we all doubted them. Willis and the boys have done a great job there :thumbsup:

TBY, What HRT have done is nothing short of remarkable considering the state they were in at Melbourne, if only they had some money...........

Back
Top Bottom