Grand Prix 2011 Monaco Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well how about that then, in a similar case in 2010 the doom and gloom merchants have vanished with a cracking grand prix in Spain. With the champagne still flowing we move on to Monaco a week later.

Mclaren will be a lot happier after running Red Bull all the way to the finish at a circuit where Red Bull normally run out of sight and could be favourites going into the Monaco race. Red Bull, however, will be the team to beat after 4 wins out of 5 races with Vettel looking unbeatable at the front but Spain showed that he wouldn't have it all his own way with Hamilton chasing him all the way to the end, even if Vettel extended his ever growing lead at the top of the championship

Ferrari seemed to have dropped back again after a superb start in Spain and eventually Alonso wound up 5th. But no doubt the Scuderia will be challenging the Mclarens and Red Bulls come the Grand Prix on Sunday. Felipe Massa's early season promise has vanished and he's back to his 2010 level and his seat will be back under scrutiny if he continues this lack of speed

Michael Schumacher will have reason to be optimistic after a strong race, beating his team mate and finishing a strong 6th as he best of the rest behind the Ferraris,Mclarens and Red Bulls. Mercedes no doubt have become the 4th fastest team over Renault who are now fighting over the lower points with Sauber and Force India.

However the big question on everyones lips will be DRS which didnt help overtaking in Spain (which is better) but more importantly where it will be placed on a circuit where straight track is at a premium so safety is a concern.

HRT continue to improve and are taking the fight to Virgin which for them is a massive achievement and its not long before they overtake them while Team lotus's optimism on Saturday didn't replicate on Sunday with a DNF for Kovalainen. But on a track where they would be weak, to get into Q2 is a massive achievement.

Hope seems to have returned to F1 after a surprisingly exciting race in Spain and it seems as if the feared Red Bull domination has been alleviated by the charging Mclarens and while Monaco is never a classic due to the nature of the track, it's certainly a spectacle

For Galahad's superb write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/circuit-de-monaco/

The only way I see Hamilton being able to beat Vettel is by doing a 1 stopper, which I think is pretty much impossible...
Not necessarily impossible. And with quite a good chance of at least one safety car I wouldn't rule anything or anyone out just yet. Ok, winning the race from 7th would be quite a feat I admit, but don't give up just yet, it was just qualifying!

Think back to the 1988 race as one example; Senna qualified on pole 1.5 seconds quicker than his teammate Prost, led from the start and built up a 45 second lead with 30 laps left, then pushed too hard as Prost began to close and had this crash at Portier:

Just goes to show that nothing is a foregone conclusion.

The F1 season may as well be over in my opinion. Vettel will be well over 50 points ahead after this race. Wow, suffice to say, this has all seriously ruined my day.
One bookie is reported to have already paid out on Vettel winning the WDC. Personally, I still think it's way too early.

He peaked to early, Vettel gets it right over and over again at the right time.

No he didn't peak too early, he just didn't even have a fair chance at putting in a hot lap in Q3. If anyone peaked too early it was Alonso, who went slower in Q3 than he did in final practice. Hamilton has a great record of pulling out impressive laps in Q3 with the car that he has, usually out-performing it. I think Vettel is just lucky he doesn't have Hamilton in that Red Bull with him or else suddenly he wouldn't be quite so fast.

You say Vettel gets it right over and over again at the right time? The reason the Red Bull's always go much faster in Q3 compared to Q2 is because they either take out the fuel or change engine settings, etc. Webber always goes a fair bit quicker too, it isn't that Vettel is suddenly finding a huge amount of time within himself. He does occasionally, but then again, so does every driver on the grid.

Button (and Vettel) must be thanking their lucky stars somewhat.

Hamilton set a faster time in FP1, FP2 (than Button), and was fastest overall in Q1 and Q2 so I think it's fair to say this was his best chance of pole so far this year.

Well I am completely gutted. The first time Hamilton finally gets a decent chance at knocking Vettel off his perch and snatching pole position, all that shambles happens. If Hamilton had of managed to get a proper lap in, he would at the very worst have been P2 and I think he definitely had a chance of pole. We don't even know if Button did an optimal lap yet and Hamilton had the pace on him. This is the worst possible track to have your qualifying session messed up, I just can't see what Hamilton can do from 7th at Monaco. I just hope Button can keep up with Vettel, because im sure Hamilton could if he was in P2.

I'm sick of seeing Vettel's smug face after qualifying on pole - his lap wasn't even that good, he missed a few apex's, locked up and in general didn't look that close to the barriers, he just has a super fast car that is glued to the track.

That's a bit unfair...he destroyed Button's time in his only lap, McLaren have better all round mechanical grip which is crucial in this track, his first 2 sectors where great.

Obviously he could have done better, but who can't? He only did one run anyway, unlike most others.

Vettel will open up a crushing lead in the championship tomorrow, I don't see hamilton being able to challenge now :(

So if Vettel and Co are changing settings and finding pace out of nothing, why aren't the rest.........I don't know, reading some of the posts it is a blame this and that affair, not that Hamilton is unfamiliar with that. He got it wrong, McLaren got it wrong, and well Vettel is just a little better than what he is given credit for.

Someone went so far as to say that Alonso was the grand schemer of this with the Massa affair and holding up Hamilton. Like the devils advocate himself.

Button (and Vettel) must be thanking their lucky stars somewhat.

Hamilton set a faster time in FP1, FP2 (than Button), and was fastest overall in Q1 and Q2 so I think it's fair to say this was his best chance of pole so far this year.

In Q2, Lewis went out and put that lap time down with ease, he probably didn't even find the edge as much as he could, due to not wanting to risk anything going into Q3. He did 1 lap then came into the pits and nobody could beat it - around Monaco that is impressive. I have no doubt that he could have got pole today.

Suspected concussion for Perez, thankfully no broken bones.

I doubt he will be passed fit for tomorrow if it is concussion.

In Q2, Lewis went out and put that lap time down with ease, he probably didn't even find the edge as much as he could, due to not wanting to risk anything going into Q3. He did 1 lap then came into the pits and nobody could beat it - around Monaco that is impressive. I have no doubt that he could have got pole today.

I don't think Vettel was pushing much either then if Hamilton did that with 'ease'...

Can we not turn this into a "my driver's better than your driver" thread?

It's about the Monaco GP and the last time I checked, there are 23 drivers participating - it has been confirmed Perez won't start.

Or maybe even Vettel to jump Vettel at turn 1 - he will be even more desperate to be in front for this race 8-)

Will there be replacement for him? I noticed that rule about a replacement driver has to take part in a session during the weekend no longer applies.
Sauber's 3rd driver didn't take part in any of the sessions so he is ineligible to race.

I wasn't aware that rule had changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom