Grand Prix 2011 Korean Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Party time has officially begun... if you are Red Bull anyway

So, its now over, Sebastian Vettel is the 2011 world champion after finishing third behind Fernando Alonso and winner Jenson Button. Vettel is not only the youngest ever world champion, but the youngest person to defend his championship after walking to the championship with (so far) a podium in every race bar one and a phenomenal record in qualifying with pole in near enough every single race.

The RB7 has no doubt been the best car of the season and has been night and day quicker than anything else on wheels. Adrian Newey must now be known as the scourge of F1 as he has designed yet another car that has won the championship but surely this has to be one of if not the best car he has ever designed as the RB7 doesn't have the fragility that has struck Newey designed cars.

For Mclaren they have finally found the winning formula again after winning a track that everyone thought Red Bull would walk, however , like in 2010 and 2009, it has come too late and has cost them a shot at the title, but Mclaren really have been Red Bulls only consistent challenger this year due to the surprise lack of speed from the Ferraris.

It hasn't been a great season for Ferrari, in pre season all the signs pointed towards a very strong year for the Scuderia, but it was apparent early on that they were only the third fastest team behind Mclaren (whose pre season was shocking in comparison). After an early season shuffle and because of new regulations they were able to win in Silverstone but that has been the only highlight for Fernando Alonso and as for Massa it has been even worse.

Going into Korea we go into the real unknown as it is unclear who has the best package suited to Korea as the only race we've had at the circuit was severely rain affected so it should be a jump into the darkness, although it will be an even bigger jump when we go to India in the not too distant future.

So congratulations Seb, who is starting to rewrite the record books almost with the ease that Schumacher did in his pomp. Eight world championships for Seb by the time he's finished?

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/korean-international-circuit/

The Stewards note also that specific instructions in relation to the use of the link road between T4 and T6 during the race will be issued by the Race Director.

Re. Vettel's short cut. How is it that the FIA feel the need to issue "special instructions" rather than do what they do at Monza? Where are the temporary red and white 'safety' barriers like those that grace the first corner 'slip' road at Monza? How hard is that?:rolleyes:

I think this refers to the chance that the slip road could be used during the race. If you remember Abu Dhabi last year, when the Safety Car was out and the Liuzzi/Schumacher incident was being cleaned up at Turn 5, the 5/6 chicane was bypassed by the train by orders of Race Control, with the train using the "straight" from Turns 4-7 instead.

Great to see a McLaren on pole and even better that it's Lewis finding some form again. He still doesn't look right to me though so here's hoping a win makes all the difference. I suspect RBR and Ferrari will be much stronger in the race than they were in quali.

Looking at the speedtrap figures Toro Rosso could cause some car a lot of trouble, their 4kph faster than all other cars. While the McLarens and Red Bulls seem be in the middle of the pack. However I have some doubts as to how effective the DRS will be as I think it's too far down the straight, if anyone is to overtake there then they will have to have the pass done and dusted and holding the inside line and being slow on the apex should be a perfect defence.

Hadn't noticed in the flurry of excitement for pole that Massa has outqualified Alonso again, nice to see him fighting where he can.
An exciting qualifying for once, had no idea who of the top 4 would be on pole.

And that was with the older spec front wing :thinking:

It's one of the shortest runs down into Turn 1, don't think starting on the dirty side will be that much of a disadvantage compared to normal although the track is quite "green" I do expect Button to get past Vettel, and Webber to lose positions, and Massa to have a great start. I also expect a first turn collision involving a fair few cars since the first corner is tight and tricky.

Well no doubt Webber will have a trademark poor start again which will cause Alonso to have a poor start as he'll have to take avoiding action.

In this race I want this...

A bit of rain tomorrow, a bit of a mixup and a new winner in F1. People forget that last year Webber took Rosberg back to the pits with him but had he not collected him Rosberg would have been ahead of Hamilton who was in provisional first until he slid off the road and Alonso took it.

I also hope Massa beats Alonso, the last few races he's had the pace on Saturday but come Sunday he's a slouch and is forced to let Alonso past. One thing that I was wondering is that should Massa and Alonso be running 1st and 2nd and with neither driver being able to win the championship, would Ferrari make Massa move over? Personally I think with Ferrari you never know but I doubt Massa himself would choose to yield.

I hope Kobayashi finds some luck, as recently he's just been on a bad run with a car that's a bit too far off the pace for points.

After nearly 2 years it really is time the new teams stepped up, I really want one of them to steal a point. It it happend it would be Kovalainen probably seeing as he is nearly always the first behind the Williamses but I wouldn't mind HRT grabbing it seeing as how close they're managing to stay with Virgin with considerably less money (and with me ignoring the fact that Virgin fired their whole design team:whistle: ).

Finally if it can't be a new winner in F1, then give it to Hamilton because god knows he needs it with his luck recently... Maybe he'll crack a smile then aswell :D

Not many people realised but Webber had an alright start however he was defending hard from schumi in Japan

I did, he's the worst starter on the grid this year though, losing 22 positions.

Guess who the best starter is...it's Moose! Gaining 24 positions on the first lap, with Schumacher a bit behind

Those stats don't tell the full story because of course the drivers starting higher up (such as Webber) will lose more and gain less places than those starting further back (such as Buemi).

Back
Top Bottom