Grand Prix 2011 Japanese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The championship is still alive!!!!!!!!!!! Okay that may be a bit over optomistic

Despite another crushing win by Vettel in Singapore, Buttons valiant second place ensures that the championship mathematically remains possible for the experienced Britain, but for him to take his second world title he requires Vettel to not finish in all the remain races and Button to win every race and to be honest there is as much chance of me winning the lottery.

Indeed, Button has had a strong 2011 and this would be more highlighted if it wasnt for the sheer dominance of Vettel who has taken a podium in every race apart from Germany. He has outperformed his beleagured team mate Hamilton who is under severe pressure from the media after another incident, this time with Massa who didn't take kindly to it and made his feelings clear after the race.

But at Ferrari they seem to be going through the motions after a great win at Silverstone, Alonso has strong drives without challenging and Massa is regularly in the middle of the points without ever challenging the podium, surely he'll be on the way out soon as he's not performing at a level that Ferrari require him to be if they want to be serious Constructors Champions in the future.

Big news at Mercedes as Aldo Costa and Geoff Willis have joined the team, with the team struggling (in comparison) since their return to the sport in 2010, these two signings might just get them back at the front in the near future and might convince Schumacher to extend his contract, Singapore aside, Schumacher's performances have been a lot better this season and at the very least he has matched Rosberg and perhaps there is still life in the old dog yet and the podium might not be too far away.

Japan has become famous for title deciders with Prost/Senna being the most memorable with the crashes at the final chicane and turn 1 being some of the most controversial in the sport (particularly the latter after a dispute over the start position). The track is regarded as one of the best driver tracks on the calendar, second only to Spa and returned to the calendar in 2009 after Fuji pulled out of F1 due to financial problems after holding the grand prix in 2007 and 2008 where Hamilton and Alonso won respectively.

No doubt the championship will be won in Suzuka but you never know, stranger things have happened in F1, surely the reliability of the Red Bull can't hold out forever, can we hope?

For Galahads superb circuit write up see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/suzuka-international-racing-course/

Im not so sure.

When asked how he knew that Schumacher would concede the corner, he said it was because Schumacher had a family. Call me a lightweight, but for me the move was reckless, in the same way that Webber on Alonso at Eau Rouge this year was.

If Fernando truly said that he knew that Schumacher would concede, because he had a family......surely shows that Alonso has ice in his veins!

lewis got a 5 place grid penalty last year didnt he?

Yeah, gearbox penalty. He also fell behind Button in the race for mechanical reasons.

I think the problem for the zone is a driver can overtake into the chicane, and then have DRS down the main straight to pull away even more. It would have been a lot better to have DRS going into the chicane - with or without the 130R incorporated into the zone-or even being a 'break' in it.

I think that could, but probably won't, be an issue!

I think the problem for the zone is a driver can overtake into the chicane, and then have DRS down the main straight to pull away even more. It would have been a lot better to have DRS going into the chicane - with or without the 130R incorporated into the zone-or even being a 'break' in it.

What about having the detection after the chicane, if possible, then only the car behind after the chicane could pass, surely?

So.......... back on topic, The Japanese Grand Prix.

Im sort of looking forward to this Grand Prix, My excitment is being curtailed by continous mud slinging going on round here tho. Ive never found myself being so wary of mentioning one name, incase of being accused of a lover or hater. Its put a real dampner on things for me.

I can see this being a great GP. There's one man who is so-so close to the Championship, he need not bother turning up. I don't see it happening that way though, I sense he wants to win in sytle and won't be settling for a 3rd or 4th place.

There's also however quite a few drivers with big points to prove. Hamilton, whatever your point of view, has been beat up a bit recently and with Button ahead of him in the Championship too. He will want to let results do the talking, and I can see Hamilton pulling something out the bag, maybe even a win if the Car alloows him.

Webber Has had his ass handed to him on a plate by Vettel, Its been a bit of a meh season for him so far. I don't he has as bad as some people said he has, but qualifying has hindered him at times, and always seems to be on the back foot. There would be nothing more that could Webber feel happier then by shoving that pesky German to the lower step on the podium and Show to people he isn't a spent force yet.

ferrari too, has sort of been shown up by Maclaren and RedBull. They has a team will want warn there rivals that they arn'r done yet. And do some postuting to show tha 2012 could be there year, b pulling something out the hat.

You know what, I don't think its going to be a simple race, or a simple exercise for RedBull either. I think it could be a great weekend.

Webber Has had his ass handed to him on a plate by Vettel, Its been a bit of a meh season for him so far. I don't he has as bad as some people said he has, but qualifying has hindered him at times, and always seems to be on the back foot.

Its always going to hinder you more when you come out of the first timing sector four places further back than where you started as well.

Vettel win almost certainly... there's no need to try anything radical with the Red Bull so little risk of mechanical failure. Vettel is driving as if on rails this season and the car driver combination has just been flawless all season.

Unlike Hamilton and McLaren... complete opposite story here I'm afraid so I don't see him beating Button. In fact I suspect he'll have another scrappy race that will be disguised with some truly entertaining driving. Note: entertaining; not great.

I see 2nd going to Button, he's on a roll and he likes the circuit.

I just want to see some improvement at williams but I guess I'll need to wait until next year (again) :disappointed:

I'm assuming they haven't banned DRS at 130R unlike Spa and Monaco due to the run-off area, but I still think a few cars are gonna go into the wall there trying to take it flat out with DRS.

I'm assuming they haven't banned DRS at 130R unlike Spa and Monaco due to the run-off area, but I still think a few cars are gonna go into the wall there trying to take it flat out with DRS.

Well I don't know about real life but on F1 2011 there is a gravel trap near the run-off on the outside of 130R, and unfortunatly on the game you can't use DRS there, as for real life I think Red Bull should be able to if they could use it at Blanchimont but the other teams who knows.

You can't use DRS in any kink in the F1 game apart from the Monaco tunnel!

I think it's a bit dangerous though, the cars will have more speed going through 130R than Blanchimont.

It will be an interesting one!

Or rather, Massa is just not good enough to finish in second place this season.

Well, he's been able to out-qualify Alonso 2 or 3 times in recent months and ran ahead and finished ahead of Alonso in 3 GPs this year...so if the car is up to it - and if RBRs or McLarens hit trouble or if there's some rain situation - then there's no reason to think he can't finish 2nd.

Heidfeld and Petrov finished 3rd in a couple of races this year and neither was a GP winner and they were driving a car that was weaker than the Ferrari.

In a perfectly normal race, i'd expect RBRs and McLarens to occupy the podium places at Suzuka but insiders at Ferrari said they'd "walk" Suzuka (they said this back in August)...so you never know!

Back
Top Bottom