Grand Prix 2011 Indian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Is the season over yet?

Unfortunately the answer is no as the F1 circus rumbles onto India for a brand new track, but after problems with the construction of the track, there is a degree of hesitation as not everyone is overjoyed about the prospect of a race there at the current moment in time. Added to the fact that it is another Tilke track, many fans aren't optimistic for an exciting race, but we've been proven wrong before. After all, we thought 2011 would be a close championship!!

Red Bull reasserted itself as the best car on the track after a dominant win in Korea with Vettel taking yet another win as he continues to rewrite the record books in the same way as Schumacher used to, just not as controversially as the elder German. Mark Webber had his strongest races recently pushing Hamilton very hard for second place, perhaps showing that he still has it for next season.

Hamilton put a long list of poor races behind to finish second in Korea after taking his first pole position of the season and it turned out after the race that he was running with tyre bits in the front wing which was costing a good couple a tenths a lap, something which would surely have cost him a true crack at a third race victory of the season, but at the very least it shows that he's getting back to his best, but a split with his partner might explain a less than happy mood recently.

Ferrari are constantly lingering as the team behind the top 2 and they are almost in a race with themselves as they are far quicker than Mercedes but not quick enough (mainly Massa) to challenge the Red Bulls and Mclarens for victories, particularly on a consistent basis after the problems with the EBD after Silverstone.

In the midfield there is a serious log jam as Mercedes, Renault, Force India, Sauber and Toro Rosso fight over points and championship places as a lot of money is at stake for 4th-8th in the championship and it's probably the best place to see action at the moment as the racing has been close and extremely well fought with different cars being better at each different circuit with none having the best all round package of the 5 teams. Now even Team lotus is getting involved in the action as they are starting to beat some of these cars on pure pace which will no doubt please the owners, and Kovalainen beating Petrov on pure pace in Singapore would particularly have pleased the team after the rows with Group lotus this season.

No-one knows what to expect from the Indian track, but early reports indicate it's better than previous Tilke tracks, but then it can't be worse than Bahrain and Abu Dhabi really.... We hope so anyway.

For Galahad's superb write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/buddh-international-circuit/

But is it worth it? I mean Lotus and HRT won't come up with an all Indian-company-sponsorship covered car (well maybe HRT will), and I guess Karun and Narain won't be in the focus of journalists after the race (unless they get a 1-2, which is not so likely).
So there will be a few interviews on Friday a la "How does it feel racing at home" "What does the GP mean to India" "IS India now the greatest country on the planet" and that's it, where the two guys can show their hats...Worth the trouble? Maybe I guess...

In TV commercials, merchandising and other brand association. This will make them marketable in India for much longer than the time they spend in the overalls over the weekend.

Apparently there have been problems filling the cricket grounds for the ongoing India v England series.

The Mumbai official told me that there is a danger of the Indian sporting public turning its back on the game. "People want something new," he told me.

In the Times of India newspaper this morning there was a full page advert with the headline "One Nation. One Soul. One Indian Team."

But this had nothing to do with Dhoni and his side. The team in question was the Force India Formula 1 team.

Throughout the tour we have seen Formula 1 cars on display in shopping centres and airports with excitement growing ahead of the inaugural Indian Grand Prix taking place in Delhi at the weekend.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Formula 1 is suddenly going to replace cricket as the most popular sport in India, but there is a sense that the cricketing authorities can't afford to be complacent.

The omens for the race weekend are looking good. If the Indian fans can bring half as much passion as they did to cricket, we should be in for an amazing spectacle.

I doubt as many Indians can afford an F1 GP ticket as can afford to attend the cricket.
I doubt that will stop them turning up and trying to find a way to catch a glimpse. It is worth turning up to F1 just to hear the sounds - I think the whole area will be buzzing. There are a lot of middle class indians too, I doubt the stands will be empty either. Like I say, I think the omens are good :)

On F1 2011 (endless youtubing as I don't yet have the game) isn't the DRS zone halfway down the long straight?

I'm hoping they go for two zones, one before T4 and a second before T5. I would have the detection for the second one on or after the apex of T4. That way if you are still behind, you get a second go but if you have lost a place you get a chance to take it back.

I'm hoping they go for two zones, one before T4 and a second before T5. I would have the detection for the second one on or after the apex of T4. That way if you are still behind, you get a second go but if you have lost a place you get a chance to take it back.
Wouldn't it be better to have the first zone on the main straight, then the second on the back straight with separate detection zones?

Wouldn't it be better to have the first zone on the main straight, then the second on the back straight with separate detection zones?
Maybe better yes. Hard to say without seeing the track with real cars on it. The main thing is two detection zones.

Back
Top Bottom