Grand Prix 2011 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It's turning out to be a strange old season

Mixed conditions and poor pit stops paved the way to an enthralling race, while it had one of the lowest overtaking figures of the year, it certainly showed that overtaking isn't the be all and end all of grand prix racing, however the two Mclaren drivers showed that overtaking can be exciting.

Of the runners and riders, Ferrari have made the biggest gain and maybe, just maybe, Red Bull have lost their monopoly over the top step of the podium and we might finally have a championship, however I'm sure I have said this after China and Canada.......

The curious case of Mclaren continued apace this weekend as they had no pace, found pace and then lost it again. In the changeable conditions at the start of the race, Hamilton and Button charged through the field until the dry conditions when the natural order reasertied themselves, however, it is hard to see how they really showed in fully dry conditions as Button lost a wheel nut early on and Hamilton had to fuel save for the latter part of the race.

Going into the German Grand Prix, Red Bull will understandably be favourites as Sebastian Vettel looks to extend his lead at the top of the championship as he continues in his quest for back to back champions (and the youngest to do so before I'm mistaken) but he'll have to fight off a resurgant Mark Webber who is finally challenging his team mate again after a slow start to the season after he struggled to acclimatise to the Pirelli tyres, he was also stung by the team orders at the end of the last Grand Prix, so you can't bet against him for at least a podium position next weekend.

Renault seem to have disappeared after a strong start to the season, Vitaly Petrov seems to have fallen back into 2010 mode after a strong start to the season. Nick Heidfeld has fared better recently and still features in the lower ends of the points, however a podium seems a long way away, a theory solidified as their side exhausts have had to be abandonded due to the propsed rules, however with the debate going on at the moment, this may not be the case after all.

Mercedes seem to have found pace recently, Rosberg is constintely in the midle of the points while Schumacher seems more like himself again, in more ways than one.......... But at his home grand prix, he will be keen to show that he still has it, along with a large number of German drivers, the most represented country on the grid, so many people will be keen to show that they are the best German on the grid.

Team lotus made it into Q2 again which is a major achievment for them and shows that they are getting closer to the midfield and their major goal of getting points before the end of the year so they can beat Virgin and Hispania.

This year we return to the Nurburgring as part of the deal is that the circuit alternates with Hockenheim, last time we were there was in 2009 where Mark Webber won his first grand prix in the Red Bull. In recent memory Nurburgring will be best remembered for the crazy race in 2007 where a heavy rain shower caused havoc at the start of the race and famously allowed Markus Winkelhock to lead the race in his Spyker, joining the elite of people who led a race in their first (and only race)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/nurburgring/

Lewis's highest finish at Nurburgring is 9th? wow - he'll be wanting to fix that.

Interesting to see that both Webber and Massa have good records here which could mix things up a bit. I also seem to remember Nurburg can become like a lake in the rain.

Is it just me, or is there something rather dismal about the new Nurburgring? Before all the extra twisty bits were inserted I have fond memories of duels in both wet & dry, a few collisions, spectacular engine failures, and thrilling overtaking. These last few seasons it's been a rather damp & depressing strategist's circuit, with little or no on-track action. The only thing I can remember from recent years was Alonso barging Massa out of the way in '07, and that was really only because it started to rain. At least the new Hockenheim always seems to serve up some overtaking, even if it is a mickey-mouse shadow of it's former self. :bored:

I hope it rains in Nurburgring, I want Mercedes to do well, and I hope they do.

Quite like this track, Sector 2 is quite nice.

Alonso has stated today that overall improvements to the car made the difference at the British GP, rather than the EBD changes.

I guess we'll find out in just over a week whether that's true or not.

If it is, then potentially Ferrari are in a good position to take a clear 2nd in the WCC, and if both drivers can finish ahead of both Red Bull drivers, then it's still mathematically possible for Alonso to take the WDC title.

And with perfect timing, here's an article from Scarbs on it: http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/ferrari-silverstone-upgrade/

I think if you look back at the last few races you can kind of see what Alonso is saying about the overall package is true. Ferrari did out qualify the Mclaren's in Canada but we never really got a chance to see what their true race pace was. They were def ahead of the Mclaren's in Valencia and Alonso even got Webber so it didn't suprise me that they took the second row at Silverstone.

I'm still not sure we've seen their real race pace as Vettel got held up behind Lewis which Alonso took full advantage of - although Massa only being 13 seconds behind them at the end despite a poor pit strategy seems to show they had some speed.

What I'd like to see in Germany is Alonso to get out front and Vettel have to chase him from second. Then we'll see how near to the Red Bull pace Ferrari have got.

You have to take your hats off to them at the moment though - head down, avoid the arguments and get on with it has really worked for them.

Well we did see Ferrari's real pace at that race because Vettel was about 8 seconds behind Alonso when he regained second place, ten laps later it was more like 18 seconds, with FA recording fastest lap after fastest lap... And even Christian Horner even said it would have been very difficult for Vettel to stay in front if even if they hadn't messed up his pit-stop.

Having said that, judging by the way FA apparently kept taking several laps to get temperature into his tyres at the beginning of each stint while the track was damp, it's quite possible he was driving the car with the "driest" set-up of all major contenders.

I live in hopes that this will be an exciting, close race.

Tickets - arrived
Transit hotel - booked for Tuesday night
Ferries - in process of booking
Camping gear - checking out later on today

Are you gonna take the opportunity to pay a visit to THE REAL Nurburgring? :)

Excuse my ignorance with regard to this legendary track, but are the Nordschleife/Sudschleife/ New Nurburgring in the same area/ linked? Google maps is completely useless at showing any other than the new track.

Sure is: (modern GP track bottom left)

images.jpg

Actually this map is better than my previous link and gives a better idea of the respective size of the two tracks:

images.jpg

Have a good time over in Germany Bill - make sure to give us the low down when you get back.

Changed my mind about Alonso leading from Vettel decided it'll be much more fun if Massa leads off the start with the 2 Red Bulls behind him, Alonso in 4th and the 2 Mclarens behind him. Hopefully that'll bunch the lot of them up and we'd see passing galore - oh what the hell lets throw Schumi and Kobi on the end of that train too!

I thought 07 was an absolutely great race here. It was the first time Hamilton had to show how he coped with adversity, all those cars hitting turn one and flying into the gravel. The safety car dodging a Torro Rosso. One car almost getting flattened by a tractor. Raikkonen's nurburgring luck continuing as he missed the pitlane. Eventually Marcus Whilnecock(?) ended up leading the race for Spyker for about one corner. Alonso coming back at Massa to snatch the lead. Hamilton 10th at the start of the last lap behind two Renaults....takes one! one position from points and...AND...nope. First race off the podium and out of the points. Aaahh, memories.

We did the big one some many years ago. As far as I know it's closed around the GP time, probably just too dangerous with a few thousand cars going round.

Back
Top Bottom