Grand Prix 2010 Singapore Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

If there's one thing I will happily admit now, I haven't got a clue who will win this race. In the past I've attempted to look at the recent form of the various teams and try and match that with the suitability of the car to the circuit and from there make my predictions. Most of those have been wrong I grant you however this time I feel they would be even more wrong than usual.

If there is one thing I am prepared to bet this season the eventual winner of the drivers crown will have done so as much because his rivals have blown their own chances as he has in scoring the most points. In a season this tight with currently six drivers in with a chance of the title on both a mathematical basis and more crucially on performance of their cars I don't think there has been as potentially a tight a finish to a season for a long time.

I think it's clear that barring a huge pile up or a mass batch of mistakes the eventual winner will come from RBR, McLaren or Ferrari but the question is, which team will turn up on the day? Which driver will make the least mistakes and who will have luck on their side?

From outside the top three teams there are a batch of contenders waiting to pick up where the others leave off. Mercedes has a driver who knows how to perform at this track while Renault, Williams, Force India and Sauber will all think they are in with a shout.

Towards the back of the field, sadly for Red Bulls Italian brother it seems to be more about making up the numbers from here on in and not having to suffer the ignominy of being the first established team to be overtaken in qualifying (in outright pace) by one of the three new guys.

As for the three new teams themselves, the battle for 10th place is becoming all the more important with the financial implications involved. Of the three, Lotus would realistically, although they would not want to, be the least harmed by not finishing in 10th hence the reason they are spending more time focusing on the 2011 car. Virgin have announced that they are bringing a further upgrade package to Singapore in order to push as hard as they can for that 10th place spot. Currently all that is required to pinch that is for one of the teams to get a driver into 12th spot at the chequered flag. Given the high retirement rate and potential for problems at this circuit that wouldn't seem as far off a prospect as it would be at other tracks with even HRT hoping their cars could make it to the line and allow them some much needed cash if they are to survive next year.

Finally, in terms of driver changes, Paul Di Resta will once again miss out on a Friday run as he did in Belgium to give the regular Force India line up more track time. Virgin will run the Belgian, Jerome D'Ambrosio in place of Lucas Di Grassi which I believe sees the first Belgian on an F1 track since Bertrand Gachot. Lastly it's a welcome back to Nick Heidfeld who replaces Pedro De la Rosa at Sauber.

Brogan said:
So it took them the whole race to decide this?

The Force India-Mercedes driver cut Turn 7 on the opening lap...

Absolutely shocking stewarding.

I agree, Perhaps they forgot like they did with Barrichello.

makes you wonder, two perhaps contentious calls to make with Webber and Hamilton, and Shumi and Hiedfield, was able to me made during the race, and pretty quickly too, while Sutil, where 9 times out of 10 its a clear cut decision weather a driver cut a corner or not took over 2 hours?

i think thats a little strange.

Brogan said:
Force India are appealing and also protesting against Nico Hülkenberg who they claim cut a corner.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87019

The penalty is an effective drive-through given after the race right, and counts as a drive through?

If so then it cannot be appealed, Didn't Shumi try at Monaco after passing 'under the safety car'. and it got dismissed for that reason?

Hulkenberg has now been given the same penalty. Looks like the teams doing the stewards jobs again.

Maybe they were watching the snooker instead of the race.

Im in a bad mood today Lewis gets a dnf AGEN!! Well this time he didnt even do anything wrong and Webber gets away with it. AAARRRGGHHH!! He should have had a drive through....at least!!

Here's some good shots of Webber at work. (Not my video)

His onboard is especially interesting, considering it appears he had a little room there if he had managed to slow it down.

To me it's clear that Lewis didn't turn in on him, Mark was just way too late on the brakes.

Also, I'm not sure that Danny Sullivan's escapades with Tyrrell in 83 should qualify him to be the guest honoree steward in a 2010 F1 Grand Prix. But when coupled with the marshalling this weekend, it seems about right.

So thanks to 2 post race penalties, Massa has moved up from 10th to 8th.

I wonder if those extra 3 points will have any bearing come the end of the season?

It would have been grossly unfair to penalise Mark for what was a racing incident, however I must question his thought process. Clearly he could have avoided that accident had he been inclined to think ahead and realise that he was going to put himself and Lewis in jeopardy...

:thinking: I rather suspect that he has absolute faith in his "right of way" and conducts himself in a similar manner to Michael Schumacher.

Lewis appeared to make every effort to leave room for Mark to concede the corner, without actually leaving him room to negotiate it, which is fair. Mark perhaps calculated that Lewis being his main rival he could afford to damage his own car as long as he damaged Lewis in the process. If you are going to do that you don't want to be braking particularly hard or giving up valuable momentum.

... :thinking: Upon reflection I would have penalised the shit out of him! :bored:

I'm going to express an unpopular opinion that is based on my experience as a racing driver and as a Chief Steward.

I have watched the incident a few times and I believe that it is properly considered a "racing incident" but I do think that Hamilton left too little racing room in the corner. I don't think that the facts at my disposal would justify penalizing either driver.

Nomad said:
I'm going to express an unpopular opinion that is based on my experience as a racing driver and as a Chief Steward.

I have watched the incident a few times and I believe that it is properly considered a "racing incident" but I do think that Hamilton left too little racing room in the corner. I don't think that the facts at my disposal would justify penalizing either driver.

As I mentioned at the time in chat, I'd have love to have seen Mark's braking telemetry on that corner for the laps leading up to it, I'd hazard a guess he wasn't breaking as hard when he crashed.

Nothing wrong with having a contrary view. It would be a pretty boring discussion forum if we all agreed on everything :D

I'd like to see where Mark would have ended up if he hadn't used Lewis' car to slow him down.
He approached the corner too tight and too fast and would have ended up going well wide.

From what I saw, Lewis was on the normal racing line, which everyone was using lap after lap.
In hindsight, if Lewis had stayed left then Mark would have had no room to go up the inside but as they say, hindsight's a wonderful thing.

Brogan said:
I'd like to see where Mark would have ended up if he hadn't used Lewis' car to slow him down.

Well, Webber has already shown us that maneuver in Australia. It's essentially the same situation, Lewis is on the outside, Mark is hell-bent not to let him by, and he simply disregards his braking point in order to try and keep Hamilton behind.

This happened in Malaysia last year too. Hamilton and Webber battled for a couple laps on a slick track, the Red Bull was miles faster, but Mark kept losing ground when trying to outbrake Lewis, because he would go right through the corner and off the circuit.

Brogan said:
Nothing wrong with having a contrary view. It would be a pretty boring discussion forum if we all agreed on everything :D

He approached the corner too tight and too fast and would have ended up going well wide.

From what I saw, Lewis was on the normal racing line, which everyone was using lap after lap.
In hindsight, if Lewis had stayed left then Mark would have had no room to go up the inside but as they say, hindsight's a wonderful thing.

No he didn't. He braked roughly at the same time as Hamilton did. You can see from the replay, that the gap between Webber and Hamilton is pretty stable during the braking.

Puhoon said:
No he didn't. He braked roughly at the same time as Hamilton did. You can see from the replay, that the gap between Webber and Hamilton is pretty stable during the braking.
Aparently the red bull is weak under brakes, so maybe he was braking were the mclaren can but the RBR cant.

Puhoon said:
Lewis came at the corner from a completely different angle so was able to brake later and carry more speed through it.

Mark had to brake earlier or harder, or both, otherwise he would have gone wide on the exit.

They say a picture speaks a thousand words...

Attachments

• singapore.png
    singapore.png
    258.8 KB · Views: 108
snowy said:
Was the snapshot taken just before first contact or just after?
Just after.

This is the one just before, but it's not a good camera angle.

Attachments

• singapore2.png
    singapore2.png
    194.2 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom