Grand Prix 2010 Korean Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so it's into the great unknown that will be the Korean GP. As Galahad has already stated in his GP Preview, we know so little about this track, since there hasn't even been a test event to prove the circuit and so trying to guess the winner here would be almost impossible.

It's perhaps ironic that this race should be critical to a drivers hope for the title and yet because it's a new track be a complete unknown until they turn a wheel in anger on Friday. As a result I imagine the simulators and their programmers have been working overtime in the last couple of weeks in order that as much pre-race knowledge can be gleaned from every bite of the computer's memory.

Of course we all know that the big three are going to be there or there about this weekend but imagine what could happen if one is currently relying on mis-leading simulator data? Then there is also the risk that one of the chasing teams may hit upon a set up that could throw them right in the mix and spoil the party for one of the lead teams. With the recent improvements in the pace of the Mercedes, Williams and Renault cars (as long as they can keep it on the grey stuff) that's not out of the question either.

One thing I think it's not too difficult to say is that this race is now a must finish and must finish well for all 5 of the lead drivers. Mistakes that were made in the last few races must be forgotten and all thoughts should be on the job.

So the question is, which of the lead teams will be the best prepared and be on the pace from the off? Friday testing will be critical to establish the level of performance of the car so who will have the psychological advantage putting the fast laps in from day one?

It should be a fascinating weekend.

Finally Paul Di Resta will once again sit this weekend out to allow both Force India drivers maximum time at the wheel.

Strong stuff from Gerhard Berger.

Gerhard Berger has accused Mark Webber of wanting to take out a championship rival after crashing out of Sunday's Korean Grand Prix.

Webber, who at the time was leading the world championship by 14 points, spun on a wet kerb while running second and struck the wall. His Red Bull then rolled back across the circuit, collecting the Mercedes of Nico Rosberg.

"I don't understand why Webber didn't hit the brakes," said Rosberg on Twitter. "It was crazy to roll back across the track like that."

Former grand prix winner Berger told Austrian Servus TV: "He could have hit the brakes and stopped the car at the wall. He took out Rosberg, but it was the wrong one. I think in his mind he would have preferred Alonso or Hamilton."

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport ... 32266.html

Brogan said:
Strong stuff from Gerhard Berger.

Gerhard Berger has accused Mark Webber of wanting to take out a championship rival after crashing out of Sunday's Korean Grand Prix.

Webber, who at the time was leading the world championship by 14 points, spun on a wet kerb while running second and struck the wall. His Red Bull then rolled back across the circuit, collecting the Mercedes of Nico Rosberg.

"I don't understand why Webber didn't hit the brakes," said Rosberg on Twitter. "It was crazy to roll back across the track like that."

Former grand prix winner Berger told Austrian Servus TV: "He could have hit the brakes and stopped the car at the wall. He took out Rosberg, but it was the wrong one. I think in his mind he would have preferred Alonso or Hamilton."

http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsport ... 32266.html

I briefly thought the same thing but no driver would deliberately try and crash into another especially in those conditions with minimal reaction times. Webber would have put his own and Rosbergs life at risk trying such a move. It's more likely to be either shock from the impact or brake failure.

So, let me understand this. Webber has just smacked into the wall at reasonable speed, an impact which is likely to have jerked his feet of the pedals and dazed him somewhat and he's meant to be able to slam on the brakes instantly to stop himself rolling back? Never mind the damage that might have been caused to the braking system by the original impact.

Berger, you're making a fool of yourself. :crazy:

F1yorkshire siad:
I briefly thought the same thing but no driver would deliberately try and crash into another especially in those conditions with minimal reaction times.
<cough>schumacher<cough>adelaide<cough>jerez<cough>senna<cough>suzuka<cough>

Chad Stewarthill said:
F1yorkshire siad:
I briefly thought the same thing but no driver would deliberately try and crash into another especially in those conditions with minimal reaction times.

Yes I know those situations well but there's a significant difference between aiming your car at another cars suspension whilst travelling at similar speeds in clear dry conditions and rolling backwards into the path of an oncoming car travelling at high speed during a monsoon.

Just to make my position clear, I don't think for one moment that Mark was trying to hit anyone; as has been said, he was slammed into the wall and rebounded across the track backwards, with one wheel up in the air; I am quite sure he would have been a passenger from the first moment of impact. And from his demeanour immediately afterwards it seemed clear that he was not trying to hide anything.

Berger is being an oaf, and I will not be at all surprised if he soon has to retract his statement.

Chad Stewarthill said:
F1Yorkshire said:

I know what you mean, but it doesn't strike me that Mark Webber has the same win-at-all-costs mentality as Schumacher or the same this-is-wrong-sod-them-all mentality as Senna. If I had to pick a driver with the same mentality in the 2010 class (not Schumacher, obvs) I'd pick Alonso. Possibly Hamilton or Vettel but I don't feel it has manifested itself yet.

I don't feel, however, that drivers such as Webber, Button, Massa, Barrichello or Trulli, for example, quite have the same relentlessly ruthless streak, which is part of what turns someone who's possibly even a Champion (Button) into a legend.

Anyway, I doubt it would be Webber's style to try to eliminate Alonso/Hamilton and hit Rosberg by error, nor do I feel that it would be prudent to do so with the other German lad in a similarly coloured car running away with the race. His attitude at Silverstone showed that he is unlikely to do a Piquetesque moment of team orders (whoever his manager is).

blast from the past here
back to the future adventure GIF

but i have my reason, i was listening to beyond the grid interview with Micheal Masi to get to know him. its fasinating to hear his career up to F1, his route, how he got his break & the other motorsports he was apart of.

i had no idea until tonight, that he isnt a new name to F1 as i certainly thought he was because he was in partnership with F1 9 years before he was fully known. he was drafted in june 2010 to help koreans with GP. he went thinking he would just he training up officials & Marshalls. but ended up as a kind of project manager. if i remember correctly said it was miracle the race the took place & still doesnt know how it got done in time. as his 1st impression when he got there was that it might as well have been a rally cross course & even with 3 months to go he was sending reports to Charlie Whiting. saying this is approximate location of Turn 1 & this is planned location of turn 16. as it was still dirt mud & full of holes

i wonder what the circuit is like now after 10yrs. it was a fun circuit to drive on playstation. but they were quite disorganized & i wonder if they ever did get the city built around the circuit like they'd planned many years ago

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom