Grand Prix 2010 Korean Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

And so it's into the great unknown that will be the Korean GP. As Galahad has already stated in his GP Preview, we know so little about this track, since there hasn't even been a test event to prove the circuit and so trying to guess the winner here would be almost impossible.

It's perhaps ironic that this race should be critical to a drivers hope for the title and yet because it's a new track be a complete unknown until they turn a wheel in anger on Friday. As a result I imagine the simulators and their programmers have been working overtime in the last couple of weeks in order that as much pre-race knowledge can be gleaned from every bite of the computer's memory.

Of course we all know that the big three are going to be there or there about this weekend but imagine what could happen if one is currently relying on mis-leading simulator data? Then there is also the risk that one of the chasing teams may hit upon a set up that could throw them right in the mix and spoil the party for one of the lead teams. With the recent improvements in the pace of the Mercedes, Williams and Renault cars (as long as they can keep it on the grey stuff) that's not out of the question either.

One thing I think it's not too difficult to say is that this race is now a must finish and must finish well for all 5 of the lead drivers. Mistakes that were made in the last few races must be forgotten and all thoughts should be on the job.

So the question is, which of the lead teams will be the best prepared and be on the pace from the off? Friday testing will be critical to establish the level of performance of the car so who will have the psychological advantage putting the fast laps in from day one?

It should be a fascinating weekend.

Finally Paul Di Resta will once again sit this weekend out to allow both Force India drivers maximum time at the wheel.

This might have been mentioned in G's preview but it's worth repeating; Australian former World Champion Alan Jones will be assisting the stewards in Korea. I wonder he will be able to be totally objective about any decisions involving Webber and his main title rivals?

I don't know how accurately simulators can predict how a completely "green" track surface will perform. How abrasive will it be, or how slick? I don't think the track has been finished long enough for the simulators to even have an accurate idea about sight lines and elevation changes.

It may prove to be a fascinating race, as there will be a lot more "flying by the seat of their pants" than we usually witness.

I read that they were still rolling the surface today so there are doubts as to whether it will actually go ahead.

Even if it does, what are the odds of the surface breaking up during the weekend?

In a way I hope it all goes horribly wrong, Bernie gets the blame and is sacked.
Well, I can dream can't I?

Perhaps I can explain why they had rollers on the track.What they were doing was rolling in a product commonly known as "bit grit" in the tarmac business.This is a fine sharp edged grit which you roll onto partially cured asphalt to improve grip until the traffic has has worn off the the bitumen and exposed the chippings used in the final wearcoat.
You have probably seen it yourself.Its most comon use is the last 100 metres before a set of traffic lights on recently resurfaced roads to reduce skidding.
Used to called be Shellgrip and was a brick red colour at one time.Today it isn't any difference in colour.

Brogan said:
I read that they were still rolling the surface today so there are doubts as to whether it will actually go ahead.

I'm no expert, but I think it is a little bit late now, I think they're committed. If the race is cancelled now then there will be a whole load of brown stuff to hit a large rotating blade.

I think it will go ahead, it might be the race that defines Mark Webber's Korea.

You lot are getting quite slow to offer me my coat!

I see that Mark Webber has taken his lucky mascot with him. LOL
I like the photographers SOH

hami_alon_webb_butt_vett_kore_2010-1-470x313.jpg

Sorry mods.Bit borderline but could't resist.

siffert_fan said:
I don't know how accurately simulators can predict how a completely "green" track surface will perform. How abrasive will it be, or how slick? I don't think the track has been finished long enough for the simulators to even have an accurate idea about sight lines and elevation changes.

It may prove to be a fascinating race, as there will be a lot more "flying by the seat of their pants" than we usually witness.

When they first went to Hungary in 1986, the surface was like driving on ice :o

The first laps of free practice will be "interesting" to say the least.Brand new surface, unweathered and very very dirty.
We should have a much better idea after Friday's practice as that will show how well the track rubbers in.
Until then we are all guessing.
The safety car had couple of offs during its runs when trying different lines, but that is not uncomon even on older tracks.

What support races do they have planned? If I was organising this years GP I would be trying to get as much traffic as possible on the track to try and get some rubber down.

So the only support 'race' is the Hyundai Series whose practise and qualifying sessions actually take place after the F1 sessions. So in effect the F1 cars will be putting the rubber down for the Hyundai's.

Thats what the timetable says.So the F1 boys can show us how good they are in less than perfect conditions.
This will show the drivers skill better than anything.

This shouldn't be the way to organise a GP.

What will the strategy be for the 1st friday session? Fill the car with fuel, throw on some prime tyres and tell the cars to stay out until they have learned where the bumps are?

F1Yorkshire said:
This shouldn't be the way to organise a GP.

What will the strategy be for the 1st friday session? Fill the car with fuel, throw on some prime tyres and tell the cars to stay out until they have learned where the bumps are?

It wouldn't be a bad strategy.
But even if it was an existing track the drivers still have find out if any bumps or surface changes have occured since last time they raced there.

I've just been looking at an in-depth forecast for the race weekend and it seems the weather is going to as hard to predict as the race result.

Most sites are predicting a clear Friday and Saturday but there's a typhoon off the south east coast of China which could be affecting the race on Sunday. The weather models are all showing that the weather system will just graze Korea and the race should stay dry but there is a chance that the typhoon could change course and have an impact on the GP.

They're not expecting rainfall of the same magnitude as Suzuka but there is a possibility that whatever rubber is put down could all be washed away again.

The full prediction is on Ian Fergussons blog, just be prepared to be baffled by science while reading it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/weather/ianf ... st-k.shtml

This is an interesting point from Kubica.If the grip level is not that high and these corners are not flat, then the drivers who can get round them a bit faster can gain a few tenths.

"Robert Kubica said: "There are a lot of challenging corners. A lot will depend on the grip level of the track. If the high-speed corners will be flat or not flat out; how much of a big challenge it will be; if they will be real corners or just flat out corners that you cannot win or lose lap time in. But it is quite nice"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87573

Brogan said:
Which will probably suit Red Bull then as they seem to have the edge on downforce and grip.

Agreed.They do.But if the elect for a high downforce setting they will lose out badly in the very long straights.

Back
Top Bottom