Grand Prix 2010 Japanese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So the moment when the 2010 World Drivers Champion is crowned edges ever close and it's still a 5 way battle for the top. They say that fortune favours the brave however this year it's more about not making any mistakes. Ferrari will be looking to this weekend on a high after back to back wins and have to be the team to beat.

At Red Bull, it's now time for Webber to show what he's made of if he's to stay out in front. This must be his best and possibly only opportunity to win the title so it's all about composure and performance. Bumping into Lewis showed neither two weeks ago and it was lucky for him that it came off and not so lucky for Lewis.

Vettel, Hamilton and Button are all waiting in the wings and any one could be centre stage at any time. Hamilton's priority this weekend is to find the sweet spot with his car and restore some confidence. Yes he's not had lady luck on his side but neither has he done himself any favours.

A DNF for any of the top 5 while not leaving them out of the game all together would just pile the pressure on.

Being this close to the end of the season it's only natural that the focus will shift away from the middle of the field and towards the sharp end. Renault, Mercedes and Williams will once again be hoping to spoil the party of the front three and could well have an effect on the way the championship pans out during the final few races. Petrov will be interesting to watch as his performance picked up a little during the last race and he's still fighting for his spot next season if rumours are to be believed.

With nothing to lose there are several drivers in the mid field that may now take a few more risks that earlier in the season they wouldn't have done, especially those drivers who haven't yet got a signature on a contract for next year. These last few races are a chance to show what they can do. Kobayashi on home soil has to be an exciting prospect and it would be no shock to see him among the points this weekend.

And finally to the back of the field where the usual three suspects are to be found. Virgin are pushing harder and harder for that 10th place WCC finish and the money involved. Lotus have stopped all work on this years car some time ago and are now looking as though they are heading into a difficult of season that could see the inside of a court rather than the inside of a garage. At HRT they just seem relieved to turn a wheel at each race and while they limp towards the seasons end their only thoughts must be on how to keep going.

We could possibly have then just 2 races to go if it carries on raining at Suzuka and Koreas still not ready :disappointed: :disappointed: :disappointed:

McLarenSupremo said:
We could possibly have then just 2 races to go if it carries on raining at Suzuka and Koreas still not ready :disappointed: :disappointed: :disappointed:

Don't worry the rain will stop, it probably already has!

Hamilton has a five place grid drop for changing a gearbox. Mclaren's title challenge is looking weaker after each race. On the bright side we will get to see some overtaking from him :)

McLarenSupremo said:

"The new Korean Grand Prix track is nearing completion ahead of its final FIA inspection next week, as exclusive new pictures of the circuit show.

With FIA race director Charlie Whiting due to fly to Korea on Monday for a 48-hour evaluation of the facilities and circuit as a sign-off for the event going ahead, the finishing touches are now being put in place.

Photographs of the track show the final layer of asphalt has been laid, and kerbs and tyre barriers are in place. Grandstands also appear to be ready for the October 24 event."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87304

tooncheesef1 said:
Hamilton has a five place grid drop for changing a gearbox. Mclaren's title challenge is looking weaker after each race. On the bright side we will get to see some overtaking from him :)
Well he has only done 17 laps so far due to crashing in P1 and without P3 to set up his car, it's unlikely that he will have anything like the ideal setup.

F1Yorkshire said:
Bad news for Hamilton, 5 place grid drop for gearbox change :(

His only chance now is to qualify 6th and start on the primes and hope safety cars go his way.

Probably the best he can hope for is a 4th place on the grid, so starting 9th.

& then just go for it.......Keke Rosberg style...... :thumbsup:

Should be in for a decent race with Lewis probably battling the likes of Rubens, Hulk, Kubica and maybe a FI car early on?

Of course if it goes to form, he should reach the gear box of Massa/Button by Mid race....then it could be really interesting.

Of course all this will be irrelevant if Seb qualifies 2nd, off the grid he gets a run on Webber & tries to take him on the inside and they collide taking Massa & Alonso with them.......

ATL11 said:
Of course all this will be irrelevant if Seb qualifies 2nd, off the grid he gets a run on Webber & tries to take him on the inside and they collide taking Massa & Alonso with them.......

But knowing McLaren's luck even though Alonso's car takes a heavy knock.....as in Spa & Italy

Alonso will get out of turn 1 kitty litter, passing Lewis' stricken McLaren @ the S curves with it's front suspension damage due to a pebble left on the track by the Vettel, Webber, Alonso & Massa incident..... :D

Not a classic, but interesting nontheless, it can be argued now that McLaren are out of the running and its a fight between the Red Bulls and Alonso

McLarenSupremo said:
Not a classic, but interesting nontheless, it can be argued now that McLaren are out of the running and its a fight between the Red Bulls and Alonso
Without a doubt.

Shame we didn't get to see what Robert could do from 3rd.

As for Hamilton, he must wonder why his luck is so bad.
The odds are he will have another 5 place grid drop at Korea now if his latest gearbox is borked.

Can anyone explain why Petrov has been given a grid drop penalty at Korea but Massa hasn't?

From what I saw, Massa was as much to blame for his accident as Petrov was for his.

Brogan said:
McLarenSupremo said:
Whitmarsh said after the race
I missed that.

Interesting, I wonder what rule that is?

I can't find the specific regulation but if the part is broken then the team can fit a replacement with no penalty. There's lots of precedent this season.

on edit:

Thinking about this a bit more, the earlier precedent must have been because the driver didn't finish the race

If a driver fails to finish a race due to reasons beyond his or his team's control, he may start the next meeting with a different gearbox without incurring a penalty.

Therefore, perhaps 9.5.2 of the technical regulations applies in this case. :dunno:

Brogan said:
Can anyone explain why Petrov has been given a grid drop penalty at Korea but Massa hasn't?

From what I saw, Massa was as much to blame for his accident as Petrov was for his.

I would actually say more so, Petrov moved to the left in the pack to early, not bright but hardly a deliberate dangerous maneuver; Massa took to the grass on the inside to try and pass at 120mph which is plain stupid IMHO.

My opinion, 3 horse race for the title now with I reckon Alonso favorite. While I would love to see the McLarens still in it, the reality is that it is amazing they have been able to keep up this long because at no point during the entire season have they had the best car, everything they have got has been due to the drivers absolutely wrestling every last spec of performance and capitalizing on the mistakes of others. Worrying that the car seems to have become brittle right at the point where they need the reliability most.

That said, it would make my day if Webber were able to do it, sometimes the nice guy should get the rub of the green; he is still to blame for the crash with LH in Singapore though and I really cannot believe that Brundle shifted the blame to Lewis for the incident in commentary again.

I've noticed Brundle seems to change opinion every time he talks about something.

On the Singapore incident, first it was 50:50, then Mark was to blame and now it was Lewis' fault.

Back
Top Bottom