Grand Prix 2010 Italian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Chad Stewarthill

Champion Elect
Contributor
The Autosport FP2 report states that both the Ferraris and Red Bulls went out on low fuel, option tyre runs to end up in the top three positions in the timesheets (don't know what happened with Webber) as if to suggest that the Mclarens didn't.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86531

But, seeing as we know that they did use the option tyres, does anyone know if the Mclarens spent all their time on higher fuel loads, or were their quickest times also set on low fuel?

I guess we won't really know until tomorrow lunchtime.
 

Grizzly

Bear
Contributor
I have a sneaky suspicion Mclaren were keeping a few revs back or were maybe a little a little OTT on the wings, maybe 10kg extra fuel like you say, just to keep something in the bag for tomorrow.

That's my hope anyhow.
 

ATL11

Podium Finisher
Grizzly said:
I have a sneaky suspicion Mclaren were keeping a few revs back or were maybe a little a little OTT on the wings, maybe 10kg extra fuel like you say, just to keep something in the bag for tomorrow.

That's my hope anyhow.
Think they were sand bagging, probably testing the cars spec for early lap running to see if they needed to tweak anything especially braking profiles for the 1st chicane....

Reckon this has got a McLaren 1-2 all over this, and RBR are just going for damage limitations on this, think you'll find the RBR & Ferrari were probably on vapour when they went back in the pits for those runs....
 

Grizzly

Bear
Contributor
uh'huh

ATL11 said:
think you'll find the RBR & Ferrari were probably on vapour when they went back in the pits for those runs....
well judging by Webbers stopping on track....
 

ATL11

Podium Finisher
Grizzly said:
uh'huh

ATL11 said:
think you'll find the RBR & Ferrari were probably on vapour when they went back in the pits for those runs....
well judging by Webbers stopping on track....
Yeah cause on board pictures show a dead car, a transmission, gearbox, engine, issue he would still have power......well Petrol is £1.10 a litre
 

Jru

Points Scorer
Contributor
It was a water pressure failure apparently - the mechanics urgently told him to stop everything on the radio, I assume accounting for the complete lack of anything from his car.
 

Boyle

Race Winner
Contributor
Mclaren seemed to do their low fuel runs on options quite early on in the session before the track properly rubbered in but both cars did look like they were not properly balanced when running qualy simulation. No doubt that Hamilton damaging his front wing didn't do much to help.

Surprised at the seeming lack of pace of Renault, they really seemed to struggle in that second session.

Ferrari may well throw a spanner in the works tomorrow and Sunday, providing they don't screw up. If they can get between Lewis and Mark then this may be the race that can give Hamilton that bit of breathing space he needs heading into the 'Red Bull tracks'. I wonder what Mclaren will do if Jenson is leading a Macca 1-2 with Hailton just behind going into the last few laps...
 

Chad Stewarthill

Champion Elect
Contributor
I was just thinking:
With the first corner at Monza being the right-hander into the chicane; if Vettel were to get pole position, which I believe is on the left side of the track, if you were a Mclaren driver would you prefer to be in P2, alongside him on the ront row (to his RIGHT) or in P3 directly behind him? :unsure:
 

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff Member
Chad Stewarthill said:
if you were a Mclaren driver would you prefer to be in P2, alongside him on the ront row (to his RIGHT) or in P3 directly behind him? :unsure:
Hmmm, as you put it like that, very tricky :D

It would be nice if someone other than Red Bull was on pole again for only the second time this season.
 

Chad Stewarthill

Champion Elect
Contributor
Brogan said:
It would be nice if someone other than Red Bull was on pole again for only the second time this season.
Too true. And as a Hamilton supporter, I'm hoping for an all-Mclaren front row with the Ferraris on row two (headed by Massa). Then the Red Bulls, with Vettel in 5th. Good chance of him turing right into Webber and taking them both out before turn one. LOL
 

ATL11

Podium Finisher
Chad Stewarthill said:
with Vettel in 5th. Good chance of him turing right into Webber and taking them both out before turn one. LOL
Still be Webber's fault.....
 

racecub

Champion Elect
Boyle99 said:
I wonder what Mclaren will do if Jenson is leading a Macca 1-2 with Hailton just behind going into the last few laps...
Nothing I hope. Lewis doesnt want or need help.
 

Boyle

Race Winner
Contributor
racecub said:
Nothing I hope. Lewis doesnt want or need help.
True, but 7 points can (and will, I think) be the difference between 1st and 2nd/3rd int his championship
 

Andrea_Moda_Rules

Podium Finisher
Hmmm......... Interesting practice yesterday. One thing of note is in first practice at least (not too sure bout the 2nd) McLaren wern't the fastest through the speed traps which was a little surprising.

Practice threw up a few questions I think, but just a feeling that this weekend may not pan out as the form book says it will.

After all Formula 1 races on circuits not paper.
 

tooncheese

Hans Heyer
Contributor
I sense a good quali/race coming up, its all so close but RBR always have somthing left for qualifing. The clean/dirty side of the grid isn't so bad, but no-one wants to be alongside vettel into rettifilio :snigger:. As for the race we know it is very possible to pass at monza even with the new regs hell bent on stopping overtaking and anything remotely interesting. If any slipstreaming or overtaking action takes place it will quickly be stopped by sensible chicanes. I wouldnt be suprised if the race ending with the top three within 5 seconds of each other.
 

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff Member
I will be interesting to see how the 2 McLaren cars compare; Lewis with minimal wing and no F-duct and Jenson with a lot of wing and the F-duct.

Red Bull also have slightly different setups with Mark having a larger slot-gap on the rear wing.

It could be any one of 5 drivers on pole, an exciting session ahead methinks.
 
Top Bottom