2010 German Grand Prix Preview

cosicave said:
However, unless McLaren really can make a break-through, they will be very much under the German cosh of Vettel, with their currently superior downforce paying dividends. By the same token, Ferrari should also do pretty well - at last in theory…

The dominant turns on this circuit are the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear turns 2,6,8,10,13,16 and 17. apart from 1,12 and 14 the other fast corners are acceleration zones or easily taken flat. In theory this circuit should suit the Mclaren strengths rather than the Red Bull. McLaren may struggle with their EBD and new floor but as long as they have maintained their characteristic mechanical grip in slow corners they should still have an edge in race trim.

Historically McLaren have had very good mechanical grip, but after their showing in Monaco, I have to say this looked to be a weak point this year. I know they have been working on it since Monaco, but would we really say this is an advantage for McLaren?

MajorDanby said:
Historically McLaren have had very good mechanical grip, but after their showing in Monaco, I have to say this looked to be a weak point this year. I know they have been working on it since Monaco, but would we really say this is an advantage for McLaren?

I felt that at Canada, especially coming out of the final hairpin, that the McLaren's had exceptional traction. I reckon they'll be the same here.

Well, in theory, McLaren's longer wheel base provides a more stable platform and by the same token ought to help mechanical grip. But their absolute need for experimentation, particularly with the threat of variable conditions, is likely to put them at a distinct disadvantage for the weekend.

However, the Red Bull car (the car itself, discounting its reliability and any in-house wranglings) doesn't appear to have any significant weakness. Neither does it appear to be lacking mechanical grip. Watch out for Ferrari coming up on the outside, and expect a re-focussed Alonso. I just hope Massa can start showing the form he needs now. sChumacher is beginning to look as if he has something to prove, with Rosberg equally keen to hold him at arm's length. And both of these teams are claiming to expect to stride forward. And then we have Renault (particularly Kubiça) and Williams also showing well recently.

It should be an interesting battle, especially if there is rain on Sunday. I just hope no team runs away with it…

Back
Top Bottom